shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamonds Carbon Footprint

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Jacques Voorhees, founder and president of Polygon sent me an email blast a few minutes ago. In it was this fun list that he recommended posting on the wall for a little humor. I thought you might enjoy it.

Ten ways a diamond will help minimize your carbon footprint:

1) A diamond is the most compressed form of carbon there is. The bigger your diamond, the more carbon you’ve helped contain in the smallest possible space.

2) A diamond—at least a well-cut diamond—helps reflect global-warming sunlight back into space. It may be a small step, but anything you can do to send solar radiation back towards the sun will help us avoid catastrophic global warming.

3) A diamond on your finger represents a conscious decision not to take that extravagant, carbon-spewing trip to Peru, or Thailand, or Sweden, and spend the money in a less polluting manner by buying jewelry instead.

4) The more people buy diamonds, the more the low-income miners who handle the actual digging will be able to feed their families, and not have to resort to eco-destructive policies like burning down rainforests to plant crops. Every tree that is saved reduces carbon dioxide in the air.

5) Of all your possessions, diamonds require the least energy to move around. Compare the energy requirements of moving a diamond across town, to: your golf clubs, your bowling ball, your fishing tackle, or your anvil collection.

6) Diamonds are sustainable. They won’t wear down and need to be replaced, as will other possessions, a process that wastes energy. Just imagine, if cars lasted as long as diamonds, we could save a great deal of energy at the manufacturing level.

7) Diamonds are a symbol of love, and can equally represent your love of a clean environment. Think of them as a lifetime bumper sticker that shows off your own eco-consciousness, and reminds others they need to be doing their part as well.

8) Diamonds are going to be a critical component in making solar energy commercially viable in the future. We know this because two James Bond films featured diamonds as a mechanism for harvesting clean energy from the sun. (“Diamonds Are Forever” and “Die Another Day”.)

9) Diamonds literally suck heat out of the air. Because of their density, they are slow to warm, and many BTU’s of global warming energy will be consumed trying to raise their temperature if you step from a cold environment, to a warmer one. (And because we are all moving to a warmer environment because of global warming, a diamond’s tendency to act like a heat sink will be ongoing.)

10) Diamonds are a slap in the face to the oil companies, because they represent concentrated carbon energy that Exxon/Mobil will never get its hands on. Think of diamonds as “fossil fuel that got away.”

Diamonds are truly nature’s “greenest” gemstone!

Jacques Voorhees

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/12/2008 12:05:19 PM
Author:Wink

Jacques Voorhees, founder and president of Polygon sent me an email blast a few minutes ago. In it was this fun list that he recommended posting on the wall for a little humor. I thought you might enjoy it.

Ten ways a diamond will help minimize your carbon footprint:

1) A diamond is the most compressed form of carbon there is. The bigger your diamond, the more carbon you’ve helped contain in the smallest possible space.

2) A diamond—at least a well-cut diamond—helps reflect global-warming sunlight back into space. It may be a small step, but anything you can do to send solar radiation back towards the sun will help us avoid catastrophic global warming.

3) A diamond on your finger represents a conscious decision not to take that extravagant, carbon-spewing trip to Peru, or Thailand, or Sweden, and spend the money in a less polluting manner by buying jewelry instead.

4) The more people buy diamonds, the more the low-income miners who handle the actual digging will be able to feed their families, and not have to resort to eco-destructive policies like burning down rainforests to plant crops. Every tree that is saved reduces carbon dioxide in the air.

5) Of all your possessions, diamonds require the least energy to move around. Compare the energy requirements of moving a diamond across town, to: your golf clubs, your bowling ball, your fishing tackle, or your anvil collection.

6) Diamonds are sustainable. They won’t wear down and need to be replaced, as will other possessions, a process that wastes energy. Just imagine, if cars lasted as long as diamonds, we could save a great deal of energy at the manufacturing level.

7) Diamonds are a symbol of love, and can equally represent your love of a clean environment. Think of them as a lifetime bumper sticker that shows off your own eco-consciousness, and reminds others they need to be doing their part as well.

8) Diamonds are going to be a critical component in making solar energy commercially viable in the future. We know this because two James Bond films featured diamonds as a mechanism for harvesting clean energy from the sun. (“Diamonds Are Forever” and “Die Another Day”.)

9) Diamonds literally suck heat out of the air. Because of their density, they are slow to warm, and many BTU’s of global warming energy will be consumed trying to raise their temperature if you step from a cold environment, to a warmer one. (And because we are all moving to a warmer environment because of global warming, a diamond’s tendency to act like a heat sink will be ongoing.)

10) Diamonds are a slap in the face to the oil companies, because they represent concentrated carbon energy that Exxon/Mobil will never get its hands on. Think of diamonds as “fossil fuel that got away.”

Diamonds are truly nature’s “greenest” gemstone!

Jacques Voorhees

LOVE IT!

I must point out, however, that item #6 isn''t totally true..................
31.gif

LS

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I need to show this to my husband... "I had to buy more big diamonds honey, I am saving the environment!"
28.gif
I love it!

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Ahahahaha! That is PRICELESS!

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
this is GREAT! :)

love it!

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Hee hee-it IS easy being green! And, since my 2 little diamonds flank a sapphire, which is of course, aluminum oxide, I am being additionally eco-conscious by reducing potential aluminum toxicity by just that LEEEETLE bit. Yay!

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
OMG!!! That is PERFECT!!! I love it!!!!!!

LuckyTexan

Brilliant_Rock
36.gif

I don''t know about y''all but my anvil collection is QUITE cumbersome!

LMAO!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results