shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond without Laser Inscription

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

silverbimmer

Rough_Rock

Hello,

I am thinking of getting an engage ring from Bluenile but not all of their diamond has a laser inscription. According to their website, I can send it to a diamond grading lab where they can inscribe the diamond for me. My questions are:

- Is it usual that some diamond don''t have laser inscription?

- How would I know I am actually getting the correct diamond if there isn''t inscription?

- Does anyone know how much cost to have the diamond grading lab inscribe a diamond? Any place you can recommend?

Thanks very much,

Derek

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Hi Silver

See below.........

- Is it usual that some diamond don''t have laser inscription?
Yes. many do not have the laser inscription. It is far less expensive if the inscription is put on at the time of the grading.

I reallly don''t understand why this isn''t done all the time.

- How would I know I am actually getting the correct diamond if there isn''t inscription?

If the diamond has identifiable inclusions that is one way that you can tell. But if it VS-1 or better that would probably be difficult for a non-gemologist to do.

- Does anyone know how much cost to have the diamond grading lab inscribe a diamond? Any place you can recommend?

Depends on the grading report. AGS will do it very inexpensively. GIA costs a lot more as they want to regrade the diamond again.

What kind of lab report does the stone have? If you''re local to the lab that graded it, you would save the shipping costs, which depending on the value of the stone could be significant.

Consider going to a jeweler who has the gemprint system. For more info see www.gemprint.com Maybe there is a local dealer to you. It is a good alternative to laser inscription.

Hope this helps.

Rockdoc

silverbimmer

Rough_Rock
Hi Rockdoc,

Thanks so much for your answers. You Rock!

Regards,

Derek

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/28/2005 1:17:46 PM
Author:silverbimmer

Hello,

I am thinking of getting an engage ring from Bluenile but not all of their diamond has a laser inscription. According to their website, I can send it to a diamond grading lab where they can inscribe the diamond for me. My questions are:

- Is it usual that some diamond don't have laser inscription?

The one who submits the diamond to the lab decides whether it will be inscribed. Many do not. Diamonds accompanied by a GIA dossier report are inscribed as a matter of course by GIA, because the dossier does not have an inclusions plot (which is often helpful in identifying the diamond). Most branded diamonds come with an inscription, by instruction of the cutter who sent it to the lab.
- How would I know I am actually getting the correct diamond if there isn't inscription?

An independent appraisal or at the least a verification is the safest way. The inclusions plot can be very helpful as well. There is too much to lose for a reputable seller to pull a switcheroo - but it's always safe to have your selection verified. Even if it's a 1 in a mil, mistakes can happen.

Depending on the lab, the inscription itself runs up to $50. However, if you're re-submitting it's the re-issue of a grading report that now includes the fact that the diamond is inscribed in the comments section that will cost more (an additional amount per carat, usually double or more than of the inscription). Remember to factor in shipping and insurance to/from the lab.

Anyone with an inscription machine can perform an inscription. You can have it done inexpensively by finding someone local with the capability. Of course, as noted above, if the diamond is inscribed away from the lab the grading report does not include that information which can raise an eyebrow if you try to resell it.

Thanks very much,

Derek

ETA: Was working on this when Rockdoc posted. I'd add, personally, that I would want to have the report updated for sake of solidarity with my insurance company, resell, etc. Also worthy of note is that someone can have anything they want inscribed on a diamond. "To Buffy, love Sparky" for instance, so just because a diamond has something inscribed on it (like "D FL"
1.gif
) doesn't mean it is necessarily that.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
We charge in the $20-$25 range for a laser inscription, so it isn''t that costly. Shipping costs nearly as much or more. We also offer a different ID system available from ImaGem for round diamonds, soon to also include princess and marquise shapes, too. This is quite a bit more sophisticated than a simple laser inscription and makes no mark on the diamond. The price is not much different than lasering.

A laser inscription is not absolute proof that a diamond is the right one for a grading report, but it can be a part of the puzzle. Once you own a diamond and are familiar with its inclusions and basic color, a laser inscribed girdle makes you completely sure the diamond you are getting back from someone is your stone. It offers a degree of added comfort, but that''s where it stops.

Gemprint or ImaGem provide far more ironclad re-identification abilities

silverbimmer

Rough_Rock
John & David,

Thank you both for the great info. One thing I forgot to ask: since I plan to buy the diamond with the setting, will it still be possible to have the inscription done after I received the ring?

Regards,

Derek

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/28/2005 2:11:03 PM
Author: silverbimmer
John & David,

Thank you both for the great info. One thing I forgot to ask: since I plan to buy the diamond with the setting, will it still be possible to have the inscription done after I received the ring?

Regards,

Derek
Derek, you're welcome.

It depends on the setting. Some mountings will allow this, mostly 4 prong, others may not. You'll need to check with the one doing the inscription. A lab will insist on the diamond being loose for re-grading.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
We have a policy to ONLY engrave gem ID numbers on diamonds we can verify the weight, color anc clarity on before we engrave them. We insist on original lab documents with the unset stone. We don''t want to blindly engrave numbers on stones we believe to have already been switched. Its our obligation to be diligent.

There is some equipment that will engrave mounted diamonds. Ours only does unset stones. Its safer for us to know we have control of what might otherwise be very tempting.

silverbimmer

Rough_Rock
John & David,

Once again, thanks a lot for the great info!

Regards,

Derek

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results