shape
carat
color
clarity

diamond with sapphire set underneath

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dixichick983

Rough_Rock
I have a question about a ring my b/f and I were looking at the other night. It was a solitare but under the diamond they had set a small sapphire you couldn''t really see it unless you looked from the side. I really liked it but what I was wondering was, are they trying to cover something up about the diamond or is it just a neat was to set a diamond. It was a .70 ct round diamond, set in platnium, it was a G in color and a VS2 in clarity. The price on it was $4995.00. Sapphire is my birthstone and I really liked the way it was set, but we are probably going to buy the diamond and the band seperate. Is there anywhere that you can have that done? Thanks for any information on this.

~Patience

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It sounds lovely. I rather like designs that have interesting details that aren't obvious at the first examination. I think this adds a lot to the design and speaks well of the designer. It is, of course, possible that they are trying to hide something but if the diamond is genuinely a VS2, there won't be much to hide. Your appraiser should have no trouble telling you about this kind of thing. I wouldn't be too worried about it.

Most custom jewelers can make this kind of thing. The store probably has a relationship with the designer and theres a pretty good chance that they can make a similar one with a different diamond. Ask 'em.

Neil Beaty
Indepenent Appraisals in Denver

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i love surprise stones! it adds another "dimension" to the ring itself. i think having your birthstone set in as a surprise stone is a great idea!! ........makes me wish my birthday was in september!!!!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/16/2004 3:49:15 PM
Author:dixichick983

we are probably going to buy the diamond and the band seperate. Is there anywhere that you can have that done? Thanks for any information on this.
Well, it seems that the majority of certified diamonds are sold loose, so... there will be no dificulty at all buying the diamond loose and having it set. Actually, most of the Pricescope chatter is about buying loose diamonds
2.gif

I would think that the sapphire on the side was set a bit like the small diamonds on this ring (link) ?

If you are planning to make this purchase online, there are lots of example of how it's done around here. Hope some will help.

There may not be many settings with small sapphire "surprizes" but many sellers would customize their rings - especially if made in-houce (like that one). Actually, the price you mention seems high: with about 1k for the setting and below 3k for the stone... even for the best cut 0.7 G/VS round and there still is some room left.

dixichick983

Rough_Rock
The sapphire isn''t really set like the one in the picture, it is directly under the diamond. It''s hard to see even looking from the side. Basically if you took the one in the picture and turned it on its side and slid it directly under the diamond then that''s how it would look. The price of it seemed a little high to me too. We''ve been looking at about that size or a little bigger and the price is about 2800.00-3200.00, so I don''t know what makes that one so much more.

Patience

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock

dixichick983

Rough_Rock
That''s it!! That is the closest I''ve seen to what we were looking at. The band is a little different but that is the very closest thing I have seen. Do you know where they got it at?

Patience

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
at the icestore in ca. maybe you could pm him and ask some questions.

dixichick983

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the info., I''ll check into it.

Patience

travl4me1

Rough_Rock
Hi Girls,
The bezel set in the pink diamond ring was really a fluke. I sent Icestore this pic of a setting.

It looked to me like a spot that prongs had been cut out initially. He took it as a bezel set diamond. i think he was right. Either way, I feel like it was a great touch, and glad Ariel did it.

Dixiechick983, I think you have a great idea, and you will find several vendors capable of doing this easily. Welcome to P.S. neighbor, browse the ring forum for ideas, have some fun.

pinky.jpg

dixichick983

Rough_Rock
Well I have an update on this ring, now the price sounds a little high for what it is. I thought it was a G in color and a VS2 in clarity, but we went and looked at it again and it must have been one of the others that we looked at and I thought it was this particular one. The one I really liked is a H in color and a SI1 in clarity. It''s .70 carat and set in platnium, the price is 4995.00, that sounds a little high to me for that particular diamond. I could be wrong but it just sounds high. Does anyone think that sounds a little high, or is it just me?

Patience

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/19/2004 36:57 PM
Author: dixichick983

Does anyone think that sounds a little high, or is it just me?
Well, that former post of mine makes the project weigh 1k less, right ?

The setting posted above looks like a pretty standard model with an accent stone set flush in a rather unsual position - no rocket-science used... and very, very cute ! Definitely not the kind of thing that can only be achieved with a big investment
2.gif

katrina_33

Shiny_Rock

http://www.robbinsbros.com/productsearch/productDetail.asp?prod_id=22561&pType=ring&intIsJewelry=0&set_shape=1012

I saw this ring in person at Robbins Brothers, and it was *very* striking and unique. They actually had a few different models with thinner and thicker bands, some w/ rubies instead of sapphires, etc.

I''m not a big fan of this store in general because of the ultra high pressure sales tactics they use. I''m not sure if this is one of their own rings, or a designer that you could also get elsewhere, but wouldn''t hurt to call and ask. I don''t remember this ring being ridiculously expensive, I tried it on and asked about the price - in the normal range for relatively unadorned platinum settings....

Hope this helps!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Couldn''t resist posting this one
2.gif
It''s hard to be really, really surprised by jewelry design - everything seems to have been already done time and again. Not THIS !
(basically, a ruby%diamond dublet - or superposed gems like the ring talked about on this thread).

SAPdesign.JPG

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
that is awesome! and original.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results