shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Upgrade Help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sparklefan

Rough_Rock
Hi Pricescopers!
10.gif

This is my first post (although I''ve been lurking around the site for about 3 weeks!) My husband and I are planning to upgrade my .5 carat e-ring after 15 years of marriage! We found this diamond with a local jeweler:

GIA Certified
1.07 tcw RB
G color
VS2
6.52 x 6.59 x 4.09
Depth 62.4%
Table 55%
Girdle very thin to medium, faceted
Polish & symmetry - very good
No flour.
$6425

Is the cut OK on this stone? Should I worry that it is not H&A or a branded?

Thanks for your help!

Marcia
35.gif

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Marcia,

Hello. Since you've been lurking for while you might already expect this response
1.gif
Having crown and pavilion angles will be necessary in order to provide detailed feedback on cut quality. Does the dealer have a Sarin or Ogi report with those proportions? The depth % is just a little too much for my preference, but the angles would help tell the story if you can get them.

You can find a similar sized G VS2 in an AGS0 Ideal cut with VG/VG for the same $ on PS. However, if you have a good relationship with your jeweler and the stone looks great to you it may be the deal for you. For not much more you may consider sending the stone to a qualified independent appraiser who can provide verification of quality and documentation for insurance purposes.

You don't need to have a H&A or branded stone for it to look beautiful. In the size and clarity you're looking at the premium for a H&A with true patterning would be around $1K more.

Congrats on the 15 years and I hope the upgrade winds up being everything you want it to be.

sparklefan

Rough_Rock
Thanks John,

I will try to get additional information from the jeweler. The stone looks good, but I''m new at this and everything that sparkles is looks good! In the meantime, maybe I can convince my hubby that it is OK to make a diamond purchase online.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/13/2004 11:13:38 PM
Author: sparklefan
Thanks John,

I will try to get additional information from the jeweler. The stone looks good, but I''m new at this and everything that sparkles is looks good! In the meantime, maybe I can convince my hubby that it is OK to make a diamond purchase online.
If you are going to shop locally (which is fine -- nothing negative implied) you might want to buy an Idealscope. It can help you see light return when you have the opportunity to view the stones live, and makes having all the detailed specs less critical since they can be hard to get from B&M jewelers sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results