shape
carat
color
clarity

diamond that falls out of setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Blair138

Brilliant_Rock
I just got my ring rhodium plated and got into the car. I looked down and one of my diamonds was gone!!! Thankfully, it had fallen into the seat crease in my car and I was able to run it back inside. The jeweler fixed it, BUT this is the second time the SAME diamond has fallen out. (Last time was 2 Januarys ago) The ring has 3 rows of pave set diamonds, and the diamond is in the middle row, 4th in. The jeweler that repaired it said this happens sometimes, it''s not totally abnormal and sometimes you just have to get the ''bugs out''. I purchased this ring from another store so I trust the jeweler that fixed it but am now afraid to wear it. He says not to be. Has anyone else experienced this? I will post photos in a bit so you can get an idea of what is happening.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yep, with pave it''s almost inevitable that you''re going to lose one occasionally. Losing 2 in what, 3 years probably isn''t anything to worry about! Hopefully your jeweler''s fix will last for a long time!

Blair138

Brilliant_Rock
I''m using a mac and cannot figure out how to resize my pictures. I checked out the FAQ section and it wasn''t much help, (I kinda suck at using computers sometimes). I''ll try and figure it out soon but thanks Thing2!! That makes me feel better. Thankfully, both times I found the diamond!!

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Yes, pave does sometimes do that. I have lost 3 stones - one a pave diamond in a Cusi chain ring with pave links, another was a channel set emerald in my Sabbadini band and the 3rd was a prong set emerald. The Cusi and Sabbadini stones climbed out of their settings and leapt into oblivion shortly after I had gotten each ring. Of course, the jewelers immediately replaced both stones at no charge. Interestingly, both pieces are from top-of-the-line jewelers. The little emerald disappeared many years ago after a couple of years of wear. I had it replaced at a small cost. I guess nobody is immune! LOL! I have had the Cusi piece for almost 30 years, the Sabbadini piece for over 15 and the 5-stone emerald for almost 40 and all the stones are still happily in place. I have some other pieces with pave and all those stones are still in place in spite of many years of wear. [Where is some wood? I need to knock on it!]

I hope your stones now will stay put.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
pave makes for a beautiful ring but is a high maintainace design and the ring should be checked for loose diamonds much more then every 6 months as recommended by many jewelers.I have always told customers that if you wear a high maintainance piece every day...pave,micro pave, fine multi prong jewelry made of 18 karat ect. then it should be checked as often as possible.Every 90 days for a clean and check is good.High maintainance jewelry should be removed for sleep, shower, and manual labor(includes gardening and heavy housework)

Blair138

Brilliant_Rock
Jewelerman, good to know!!!! I was given this ring as a gift almost 2 years ago and as I stated above, this is the second time the diamond has fallen out. The store where it was purchased never warned me about this with pave. I do wear it everyday and I am a teacher and work with my hands A LOT. I never wear it in the shower or to bed, but do wash my hands quite a bit each day and do not take it off all the time. I will be more diligent now with it.

The original jeweler is in the city so I take it to a trusted jeweler who is much closer. Will most places check the setting for free even if it was not purchased there? I would take it to the original place but, like I said, it''s in the city and would take a chunk out of my day to take it there every 90 days.

Blair138

Brilliant_Rock
Here it my ring...the 4th diamond in is the one that keeps falling out

rhrring.jpg

LegacyGirl

Brilliant_Rock
pretty ring!

Blair138

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks!! My Mac doesn''t want to cooperate with resizing, so I will get some hand shots soon!!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Most jewelers will clean and check prongs for free...ask that its cleaned by hand and not in the untra-sonic cleaner.pretty style,but a style that needs proper care and feeding.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring is gorgeous! Not suprised that this has happened though...keep an eye on it, always have your jeweler inspect it every few months, you should be ok. Again, such a beautiful ring!!!
36.gif

Blair138

Brilliant_Rock
Here are more pics of my ring

I made a post in SMTR. The photos are a little on the small side but gives you an idea of how pretty my ring is! More to come soon!!!

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Wow, I had NO idea that pave diamonds fall out. Do they even fall out of platinum settings?

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Yes.Platinum pave and prongs need as much care as gold prongwork on pave settings.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results