shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Testing

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

g-man

Rough_Rock
Has anyone done this test before - where you put the diamond in water and shine a light through it and examine the pattern of refraction? It is pretty cool. I did this last night on our new cushion - it really works. I also examined the stone with a loupe I bought - for "doubling."

Anyway, here are a couple of links that people might find interesting about testing for diamond authenticity.

http://www.gemguide.com/news/archives4.htm
http://www.lacywest.com/t_mtest.htm#doubling

Take Care,
G

P.S. Maybe everyone here is already "all over" this - if so, sorry. I have been viewing for a month or so and haven''t seen anything about this.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Separating diamond from synthetic Moissonite isn't all that difficult and the Gemworld tutorial has some good advice about this. I do however, take excpetion to the other one for listing hardness and heating as appropriate methods because they are destructive and dangerous respectively. Each of the various simulants has their own things to look for and they can be learned fairly quickly without danger to either the stone or the examiner.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

g-man

Rough_Rock
Date: 7/8/2005 10:20:09 AM
Author: denverappraiser
Separating diamond from synthetic Moissonite isn''t all that difficult and the Gemworld tutorial has some good advice about this. I do however, take excpetion to the other one for listing hardness and heating as appropriate methods because they are distructive and dangerous respectively. Each of the various simulants has their own things to look for and they can be learned fairly quickly without danger to either the stone or the examiner.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Independent Appraisals in Denver
Regarding heating - I totally agree. I would not do that. But for a layperson to have a couple of simple tests to get them more comfortable as to authenticity is a good thing - at least it was for me. And this is no substitute for an actual verification from a certified independent appraiser. I actually got two done on the stone we bought last week. But I got further comfort plus had some fun doing the water test.
G

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 7/8/2005 10:33:15 AM
Author: g-man

But for a layperson to have a couple of simple tests to get them more comfortable as to authenticity is a good thing

G
I agree totally and both of the tests you've done are good ones.
36.gif

Neil

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results