shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond studs for my birthday - what to choose?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Maya Moonstone

Shiny_Rock
Hi

It is that time of the year again - my birthday. Some people may not like to be reminded that they are getting older, but this is the time I get jewelry! So yippee!

B agreed that I can have diamond studs.
9.gif
I have to do all the work though in choosing them - I have taught him well.
9.gif

I looked at the WF Ready Set to Go diamond studs and though they are a great deal, I would like to upgrade in the future.

Based on my budget I am looking at getting 0.6 cttw studs (for now
27.gif
)

So, if it were you, what would you do?
1) Does it matter if both diamonds are ideal cut if one is a G and the other is a H, or a H and a I?
2) Will you spend the extra $$ on a "brand name" diamond ex. a ACA?
3) I have one of two options - getting two ~0.3ct diamonds now, or one 0.5ct diamond now and the other at a later stage (Xmas). What would you do considering it is only April?
4) I like the martini settings from WF. But I am considering two diamonds from another vendor as well as two from WF. Will it be acceptable to buy the settings from WF and the diamonds from another vendor and have it set at your local jeweler or even by the other vendor?

Thanks
Maya

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/5/2006 5:21:48 PM
Author:Maya Moonstone
Hi

It is that time of the year again - my birthday. Some people may not like to be reminded that they are getting older, but this is the time I get jewelry! So yippee!

B agreed that I can have diamond studs.
9.gif
I have to do all the work though in choosing them - I have taught him well.
9.gif

I looked at the WF Ready Set to Go diamond studs and though they are a great deal, I would like to upgrade in the future.

Based on my budget I am looking at getting 0.6 cttw studs (for now
27.gif
)

So, if it were you, what would you do?

1) Does it matter if both diamonds are ideal cut if one is a G and the other is a H, or a H and a I?
If you get ideal cuts, I doubt there''ll be a noticeable difference in color, assuming that they are graded by GIA or AGS.

2) Will you spend the extra $$ on a ''brand name'' diamond ex. a ACA?
No. I just got a pair of .80 ctw, and they''re Expert Selections. Just run them through the HCA to make sure the light return is excellent or within your parameters.

3) I have one of two options - getting two ~0.3ct diamonds now, or one 0.5ct diamond now and the other at a later stage (Xmas). What would you do considering it is only April?
I would get the two diamonds now so I get to wear them, especially since I''m going to be upgrading anyway.

4) I like the martini settings from WF. But I am considering two diamonds from another vendor as well as two from WF. Will it be acceptable to buy the settings from WF and the diamonds from another vendor and have it set at your local jeweler or even by the other vendor?
Yes.

Thanks

Maya

SquareCut

Shiny_Rock
I say get two .45 ct stones now and this can be your BD and early Christmas present!

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2006 7:09:48 PM
Author: SquareCut
I say get two .45 ct stones now and this can be your BD and early Christmas present!
I agree, assuming your guy can afford that right now. My philosophy is "do it once, do it right." When you upgrade, you have to pay for setting costs (labor at minimum, plus new settings if the new stones don''t fit into the old settings) a second time. My DH is very familiar with the concept of early Christmas gifts by now.
2.gif

Maya Moonstone

Shiny_Rock
Hi

Thanks for the replies. I won''t be able to get bigger than ~0.6cttw for now. The budget has been set and I will have to work indie of it.

So here are the pairs I am considering:

0.312 ACA G SI1 paired with 0.332 ACA G SI1

Or

0.311 H&A H SI1 paired with 0.313 H&A H SI1

I really like the Whiteflash 3 prong martini setting and Good Old Gold does not have something similiar. I have e-mailed Whiteflash late Tuesday night, and again yesterday, but have had no response from them yet.
33.gif

Anyway, any suggestions or comments will be welcome. My birthday is in May, so I still have about 3-4 weeks left, but I would like to get this done as soon as possible.

Maya

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Maya, the stones all look great, so the final decision is up to you. I went with WF, because paranoid being that I am, I want my stones set by the same company that I purchase them from.

As for getting a hold of someone at WF, I recommend that you call them. I purchased my earrings about two weeks ago and called them rather than emailed them because I had a question about the inclusions. They answer your questions right there, take your order, and send you confirmation emails immediately, so that was great.

Either way, let us know what you decide!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results