shape
carat
color
clarity

diamond stud specs?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

soyman

Rough_Rock
Hi all, I'm looking to buy a pair of diamond stud earrings soon. I've searched thru these forums and I've learned that the general consensus is to get:

- 3 prong platinum settings
- cut is the most important
- clarity can be flexible

I'm looking at JamesAllen and was wondering if a pair of their .3 (.6 total) stones with the I1 clarity would be okay if paired with an ideal cut and color of D-I? Or should I really stick with SI1 and SI2? I want to stay under $1500, the lower the better.

http://www.jamesallen.com/build_your_earring.asp?cid=180&module=diamonds&item1=244696&item2=155065

Shape: Round
Carat weight: 0.3
Cut: Ideal
Color: D
Clarity: I1
Certificate: GIA

Depth: 62.7%
Table: 57%
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Girdle: Thin to medium, faceted
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 4.27*4.31*2.69

Thanks!

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I love the look of the three prong martini style earrings that many have purchased here on pricescope, but you really don''t need platinum if you are trying to save some money. I think white gold would be just fine for earrings. If it were me I would stick with SI2 even for earrings and lower the color down from D. I am not comfortable with I1 clarity, but you could go down as far as J on the color and probably still be fine if they are cut well. Just my opinion.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
you will never pick a difference between D and G

look for shallow proportions - as storm says - under 1.0 on HCA, because shallow stones look best in Ear rings.

very thin girdles are OK too - they never can get damaged - with all that you get bigger looking diamonds that do not show the dirt as much

Marlene

Rough_Rock
Hi,
I went to look at a few diamonds at my jeweller today and I looked at the colour set they have which shows all the colours. I was able to see the difference between an E and G and I struggled with G & H but my jeweller sauid they were borderline anyway. I bought a D colour, I think it looked icy.
M

soyman

Rough_Rock
thanks for the help guys and gals. very helpful.
9.gif
I''ll heed your advice and look for a minimum of SI1 or SI2. My only purpose for going with platinum for the prong is because I don''t want to deal with any issues of the off chance of her having any allergic reaction to the metal. And from what I''ve read on here (god this site is great), I should avoid white gold (I wanna stick with the silver look, don''t like yellow gold too much).

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
A brief search on dirtcheapdiamonds.com (a James Allen Company) shows several nicely matched pairs in their ideal cut section. They have not listed crown and pavilion angles or ideal scope pictures, but you could ask Jim Schultz to email you the info and to eye ball them for you on clarity and sparkle. There are 2 .31 G/SI2''s that look interesting if they check out for only $419 each. Or there are these:

183 6354807 0.33 G SI1 GIA $535 60.8 56 EX EX None 4.47x4.51x2.73
184 6354808 0.33 G SI1 GIA $535 60.2 57 EX EX None 4.49x4.51x2.71

The key will be to keep them pretty eye clean and well cut. Match the diameters fairly closley, not the carat weight when looking for pairs.

I''ve bought a couple of pairs from them with great success. Good luck!

soyman

Rough_Rock
thanks for the tip lop! I didn''t consider looking at the dimensions at all. I was just matching up everything else but that.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
yep-- I learned that lesson once. Matching the diameters will give you the size match. (I like the to at least overlap, some people are more liberal.) Clarity differences don''t matter at all, and color can probably be adjoining since there will be a face in between.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results