shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond stud earrings -- please help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mfrankl3

Rough_Rock
My wife just gave birth to our first baby (a boy) about six weeks ago (November 17, 2004) and her birthday is also this month (January). I would like to get her a pair of round diamond stud earrings in a white gold setting to celebrate both these events.

Being a diamond novice (her engagement ring is 1 ctw diamond platinum setting that is a family heirloom and thus I have not had to wade into this process yet - the level of detail for diamond purchasing is staggering!)--

I would very much appreciate the experts (as well any any novices) in this forum giving me any assistance you can as to what specifications (4 Cs and all other detail -- but I want the best cut as possible since that appears based on my reading to be one of the most important factors) as well as prong settings and best type of backing I should look for in purchasing the best pair of studs for my budget -- which is approximately $1500-2000.

I am not adverse to purchasing online, so any suggestions as to dealers would also be very welcome.

Many thanks in advance.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Many Congrats on the new addition to your family!!
36.gif
How sweet of you to think of your wife with lovely new studs.

For studs, you wanna look for diamonds with very similar diameters. Personally, I try to stick to the same color, but you can go up or down one color grade. SI diamonds will give you the best bang for your buck. G, H, I, or J color will be great for earrings. You''ll need to add about another $100 to the price of the stones for gold mounts but you can easily get the tcw in the 60-80 point range. You might wanna adjust the size according to your wife''s ear size.

I did a quick search on the PS engine then went to several different Vendors'' websites. Diamonds Ideals and White Flash have several matching pairs in your price range. Good Old Gold had some showing on the PS search that are available thru their additional H&A search engine. Those are diamonds that GOG has access to, but does not physically have in stock.

Check out the Vendor''s policies. Call around and chat with some. Find one you are comfortable working with and let them do the rest for you.
1.gif

mfrankl3

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for the guidance.

I am also interested in knowing the type of cut I should look for -- my reading on the site leads me to believe that I should sacrifice color and clarity somewhat for the best cut I can obtain -- any guidance on this for me, especially relative to my budget?

Also, what type of backings should I select? I have read where screwbacks may not be the best choice.

Thanks again in advance for the advice.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Hi, mfrankl3! Congratulations on the arrival of your son!

My advice would be to find a vendor you trust, and let him do the searching for the best and biggest i could get within the constraints of my budget.

I recently bought a pair of diamond studs from one of the vendors who post here, and was absolutely delighted. I agree that color and clarity are NOT as big issues as they would be for a ring....earrings are much more forgiving!....and that finding well cut stones is the secret.

My earrings are I-1s...(!) and they are so well cut that you'd never know it just looking at them. They are bright and beautiful.

Another thing you might want to consider is choosing a vendor who has a trade-up policy. This way if you decide years later you want to upgrade, you can...

Good luck, and again, Congratualtions!
widget

PS: In my experience, screwbacks are a pain in the neck (and the ears!)....especially if she'll be putting them on and taking them off a lot...

mfrankl3

Rough_Rock
Many thanks to all who have responded to my inquiry -- your information has been very helpful.

Couple more items:

1. What are the common number of prongs in a set of stud earrings? Is this just a matter of personal preference? Does 4 prong have a greater cost than 3 prong?

2. If I purchase from one of the online vendors mentioned in this string or on this site, what is the typical protocol for purchasing -- specifically, is it customary to obtain an indenpendent verification of the stone I am actually getting apart from the statements made and certificate presented by the vendor OR does the certificate suffice for assurance? If independent verification is needed, how does that process work (i.e., is it done before payment is made? where?, etc.).

Thanks again.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
The number of prongs is personal. I used 3, as I like the look better. Some people use 4 for theextra security. I don''t think there is a material price difference. 3 is sufficient as you don''t regularly hit your ear and earring against hard surfaces.

I sent my stones to Rich Sherwood to be evaluated/appraised before I purchased them. Both Fire and Ice and a friend of mine bought some at the same time, and didn''t have them appraised. I think it depends on your comfort level. It was my first time buying SI2''s, and I just wanted to make sure. You can also take them into a local appraiser to just have them verified that they are what they say they are. Even at this size, most have certs, so you''ll have the info you need to make sure they aren''t switched. (Using the listed vendors, I don''t hink you are at risk of that -- these are reputable people, and their business depends on maintaining that reputation. )

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
The Vendors can send you magnified pics of the diamonds, that will show much more detail than normal viewing will reveal.

For earrings, some people use an appraiser and others don''t, as Lop mentioned. It really depends on your own personal comfort level. I purchased my studs from the same Vendor I had already used, so I wasn''t worried about getting what I was told I''d get. But my insurance company required a seperate, independent evaluation to get a local replacement cost.

Most of the folks here have gone with Ideal cut or H&A rounds for studs. Sparkle factor comes from CUT and you''ll get the most sparkle from well cut diamonds. Since earrings don''t get the same close inspection as an e-ring, you can easily sacrifice color and clarity to get bigger bang for your buck.

The setting is really a preference thing. I had worn 4 prong for years and wanted a change so I went to 3 prong when I upgraded. Many others have chosen the newer martini style as it shows more of the diamond from the side as well. You might nosy around a bit and see if your wife has a preference for the mounting style.
1.gif

Daniela

Brilliant_Rock
I just found this link on the Whiteflash website (either it''s new or I never noticed it before):

http://www.whiteflash.com/Fine-jewelry/DiamondStuds/Expert-Selection!-Ready-set-to-GO_822.htm

These are pre-set expert selection earrings. Whiteflash''s other Expert Selection for loose stones has a good reputation, and these definitely look like they might be worth considering. You could contact them for the exact cut specs, etc. for these pairs. I don''t think that you need to get the absolute top of the line super ideal cut for studs, but you definitely want well-cut ones. Good luck!

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/4/2005 4:56:49 PM
Author: JohnQuixote

(Back from vacation in Cali...Go ''Horns!)
That was some game, wasn''t it?

Back to studs, for those that have them, do you wear them to sleep and with backs do you prefer?

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
I just checked out that White Flash link -- that''s cool, I hadn''t noticed that either.

The 1 ctw studs in white gold are $2100 . . . perhaps you could forgo a night out and add an extra $100? Or you could save $ and go for the 0.80ctw for $1190 and spend the extra on a nice weekend at a bed and breakfast. :)

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/4/2005 5:35:16 PM
Author: phoenixgirl
I just checked out that White Flash link -- that''s cool, I hadn''t noticed that either.

The 1 ctw studs in white gold are $2100 . . . perhaps you could forgo a night out and add an extra $100? Or you could save $ and go for the 0.80ctw for $1190 and spend the extra on a nice weekend at a bed and breakfast. :)

That link is pretty cool, but maybe someone from WF can clarify something for me that''s a pet peeve. Whenever I read all weights are approximate, I get suspicious. What kind of weight tolerances are there for the pair and when it''s 1.0 ctw, does that mean the diamonds are .50 and up or cound they be in the .4x range. This is important given the price jump at .50. I hate the rings advertised a 1.0 carat (Amazon for one) that shows fine print that it could be .9x something (big difference in price)

I could direct this question at many, many vendors, it just happens that WF was posted here and it''s not meant to slight them.

Daniela

Brilliant_Rock
Now that you''ve posed the question, I''m sure they''ll respond.
1.gif

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/4/2005 5:32
6.gif
6 PM
Author: noobie

(Back from vacation in Cali...Go ''Horns!)
That was some game, wasn''t it?

Back to studs, for those that have them, do you wear them to sleep and with backs do you prefer?
I''ve got push backs, and I sleep in them.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
I''ve got the Guardian push backs, and I don''t sleep in them or any other earrings.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/4/2005 5:32
6.gif
6 PM

(Back from vacation in Cali...Go 'Horns!)
That was some game, wasn't it?
Noob,

I have some hysteric amnesia (the positive kind) about what happened after that final field goal.

I remember thinking clearly “This is either goat or hero time - NO in-between for the kicker”… Then he booted that hero sammich 'twixt the sticks & a mind-numbing bacchanalia of euphoria overcame our little cadre of fandom.
Woo-flippin'-hoo!
36.gif
(...and there was much rejoicing)

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/4/2005 5:44:13 PM

That link is pretty cool, but maybe someone from WF can clarify something for me that''s a pet peeve. Whenever I read all weights are approximate, I get suspicious.
You could get the stones & setting loose to check in person, I guess. Once set, weight can''t really be guessed down to 0.01 anymore.
The cost of certification adds a bit to these smaller stones, but why not in the end. There are a couple of rounds in WF''s "expert selection" that might fit the bill - certs and all.
1.gif
Namely, a I/SI1 pair and a J/SI1 (no SI2, and these come about 2k total).

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock

Date: 1/4/2005 5:35:16 PM
Author: phoenixgirl
I just checked out that White Flash link -- that's cool, I hadn't noticed that either.

That link is pretty cool, but maybe someone from WF can clarify something for me that's a pet peeve. Whenever I read all weights are approximate, I get suspicious. What kind of weight tolerances are there for the pair and when it's 1.0 ctw, does that mean the diamonds are .50 and up or cound they be in the .4x range. This is important given the price jump at .50. I hate the rings advertised a 1.0 carat (Amazon for one) that shows fine print that it could be .9x something (big difference in price)

I could direct this question at many, many vendors, it just happens that WF was posted here and it's not meant to slight them.

Noob - I'm glad you asked, as I think this is important information to have (and very reasonable to request).

Look at the different companies and see what they offer as their ready-to-go studs. I am pleased that cut has been touted so much in this thread, as small ideals truly do stand out from non-ideal cuts.

To the point (haha)...The standard within the industry is very close (+ or minus 2 pts each way). We generally cut it closer with small tcw... For instance, with .30 tcw each diamond will be between .14 to .17. Looking at tcw is good, but always look at - and compare -diameter as well, even on these small stones.

I personally bought 5 pairs of the ES ideal cut in "appx .30 ct" weight on behalf of myself and a few friends. I was able to select each pair myself and had fun doing it.

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/4/2005 7:44:52 PM

I personally bought 5 pairs of the ES ideal cut in ''appx .30 ct'' weight on behalf of myself and a few friends. I was able to select each pair myself and had fun doing it.

Can I be one of your friends John?
2.gif

Thanks for the answer. Just for clarification though, you guys don''t say something like 1.0 ctw and in small print say .95 carat minimum. I notice this in Amazon''s listing, which I think is misleading, especially with solitaires. I would not be happy buying a 1 carat ring and getting a 95 pointer, especially with the price jump at 1.0 and the psychological barrier at 1.0.

sdm

Rough_Rock
Congratulations on the new family member!
I recently bought diamond stud earrings from one of the PS vendors and have been thrilled with the earrings. I bought on the low end of your budget (about $1500). As others have mentioned also, I went with the SI1 and a G color. The best thing I did was get an ideal cut. My earrings sparkle like crazy, and I frequently get comments on how sparkly they are. Mine are .68 cttw. With your budget, you could get a larger size, but I would pick cut over size any day.
I have the martini (three prong) and got the push backs. I tried on screw backs, and couldn''t even get some of them through the hole in my ear.
Be sure to post pics of the earrings!

mfrankl3

Rough_Rock
Two more questions --

1. Regarding the Whiteflash diamonds mentioned in this string, I was curious as to the almost $1000 price difference between the 1.0 tcw and the 0.8 tcw of the pairs since at least on the surface, and understanding that we do not have the detailed information on each pair of stones, they seem very similar (i.e., I S1). While I understand that crossing that magical 1.0 tcw mark does raise the overall price, I am suprised that this fact and a tcw difference of just 0.2 cw between the pair would increase the price this significantly. Any thoughts?

2. Continuing the line of discussion regarding cut and color and knowing that the objective is to obtain the best cut possible, I would like some advice/thoughts on people''s opinions on the lowest color quality one should accept -- e.g., the Whiteflash diamonds are "I"; I was wondering if this fact was going too far to one side of the spectrum and whether one should set "H" as a minimum?

As always, thanks for all your help.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/4/2005 11
6.gif
4:40 PM

Can I be one of your friends John?

2.gif

Thanks for the answer. Just for clarification though, you guys don't say something like 1.0 ctw and in small print say .95 carat minimum. I notice this in Amazon's listing, which I think is misleading, especially with solitaires. I would not be happy buying a 1 carat ring and getting a 95 pointer, especially with the price jump at 1.0 and the psychological barrier at 1.0.

Are you a friend "in need," Noob?
2.gif

My prior comments on generally accepted industry standards relate to "approximate" weighting, common when matching diamonds for studs, etc. Our clarification is the "NOTE: All weights are approximate" in the heading, as well as the abbreviation "apprx" in every itemized description - so there is no confusion.

Now, if weight is not listed as "approximate," or not accompanied by a disclaimer like you described, a diamond should be spot on to the weight advertised. The Federal Trade Commission sayeth: "If the diamond's weight is described in decimal parts of a carat, the figure should be accurate to the last decimal place. For example, ".30 carat" could represent a diamond that weighs between .295 and .304 carat. If the weight is given to only one decimal place, it should be accurate to the second decimal place: If you say a diamond weighs .5 carat, the diamond should weigh between .495 and .504 carat."

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
I too would like to be one of your friends John!

Mfrankl3, my friend bought ideal cut I Si1''s recently. We''ve compared them side by side with my G''s and you can see a slight color difference with them side by side, but on her ear you don''t see it at all. They just flash and sparkle like crazy. It really draws your eye to them. I would have no problem going with an I or maybe even J for earrings. (And, I''m a color snob in most cases.)

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/5/2005 1:20:25 AM
Author: mfrankl3
Two more questions --

1. Regarding the Whiteflash diamonds mentioned in this string, I was curious as to the almost $1000 price difference between the 1.0 tcw and the 0.8 tcw of the pairs since at least on the surface, and understanding that we do not have the detailed information on each pair of stones, they seem very similar (i.e., I S1). While I understand that crossing that magical 1.0 tcw mark does raise the overall price, I am suprised that this fact and a tcw difference of just 0.2 cw between the pair would increase the price this significantly. Any thoughts?

Hello mfrankl3... Yes, the difference between .40 and .50 per diamond is significant. You can take a look at the ACA inventory pricing, or run a PS search on ideal cut RBs to get an idea.

2. Continuing the line of discussion regarding cut and color and knowing that the objective is to obtain the best cut possible, I would like some advice/thoughts on people's opinions on the lowest color quality one should accept -- e.g., the Whiteflash diamonds are 'I'; I was wondering if this fact was going too far to one side of the spectrum and whether one should set 'H' as a minimum?

As always, thanks for all your help.

Without close comparison most people can't distinguish between a color grade or two - though there are sensitive souls who can. Keep in mind that well cut diamonds often face up more colorless than their lab grade, which is an attractive quality of ideal cut stones.

Our consumer cadre is great for discussion and input on this count.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results