shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Stud earring Upgrade – worthwhile or no?

mn_shopaholic

Shiny_Rock
Hello! I currently have a pair of 0.65 CTW studs from BGD, and have been thinking of upgrading to get closer to 1 CTW (total weight of the new pair would be in the 0.90-0.95 range).

I did try visiting some local jewelry stores to see if I could find studs in the size range as the BGD diamonds I am considering to compare them in person next to my current studs, but selections were limited and I mostly found studs that were either 0.75-0.80 CTW or over 1 CTW. I did see a difference in my studs and the 1CTW (or over) pairs, but I didn’t see certs or anything on those stones to know how the diameters compared.

So my questions are: Is an increase in diamond diameter from approx 4.42mm to approx 4.96mm enough to justify an upgrade or not? Will there be a visible difference in size or will they look the same as my current studs? For those who have upgraded, were you happy with your decision?

Any and all opinions are much appreciated. (Please also feel free to point me in the direction of an earlier thread I might have missed if this topic has already been covered - most of the upgrade threads I found were for rings and/or larger stones).

Thank you!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have upgraded from 5.4 mm to 5.8 mm in the past and yes, I did notice the size difference, even though it is only 0.4 mm apart. It was just a mini upgrade on my way to a bigger stone.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just went from 5.6mm to 6.0mm and it was worth it because I am at my final size. The think about upgrades is that you are paying for new settings each time, so I wouldn't upgrade unless you plan to keep the new ones for a good while. If saving for another year would allow you to go larger, then I'd wait and do bigger upgrades less often.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Did you try the earrings on or just compare side-by-side? I would go back and see how much bigger they look when actually on. How much of a difference in presentation they provide when you're wearing them.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock

stci

Ideal_Rock
I agree with girls. I think you will notice a big difference in the size if you upgrade from 0.32 to 0.50. Go for it lady! :appl:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You will notice a difference. I went from .72 ctw to .92 ctw and I definitely noticed a difference. I think it is worth it.

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go for it if you can afford the upgrade currently. I would also just put them in cheaper stock settings if you do plan on upgrading again in near the future.

mn_shopaholic

Shiny_Rock
Chrono, stci, marcy – thank you!

diamondseeker2006 – I could afford to go bigger now, but I really do not like the price jump that happens at 0.5 ct apiece. That being said, I don’t want to spend the money to upgrade now if the 0.45's will look exactly the same as my current 0.32's.

MC – I did try them on, and I did think they looked bigger, but without seeing certs I can’t be certain how the ones I tried on stack up to the BGD ones I am considering (I didn’t ask about certs because I was trying not to waste too much of their time when I knew I wouldn’t be buying there).

stargurl78 – Thank you so much for showing me that thread! Your pictures helped tremendously! (and made me want those earring jackets….)

mom2boys – I can afford it, and would be using stock settings. I’m just not sure about future upgrade plans at this time… I've tried on bigger than a carat total (approx 1.2-1.5ctw) and just thought they looked too big for my small-ish ears. But I don't want to say it could never happen...

For those who have upgraded (or who want to upgrade) – how did you determine your final (or target) size? When you hit that size, did DSS set in eventually or was hitting that target enough to keep you happy?

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
mn_shopaholic|1352236953|3300058 said:
Chrono, stci, marcy – thank you!

diamondseeker2006 – I could afford to go bigger now, but I really do not like the price jump that happens at 0.5 ct apiece. That being said, I don’t want to spend the money to upgrade now if the 0.45's will look exactly the same as my current 0.32's.

MC – I did try them on, and I did think they looked bigger, but without seeing certs I can’t be certain how the ones I tried on stack up to the BGD ones I am considering (I didn’t ask about certs because I was trying not to waste too much of their time when I knew I wouldn’t be buying there).

stargurl78 – Thank you so much for showing me that thread! Your pictures helped tremendously! (and made me want those earring jackets….)

mom2boys – I can afford it, and would be using stock settings. I’m just not sure about future upgrade plans at this time… I've tried on bigger than a carat total (approx 1.2-1.5ctw) and just thought they looked too big for my small-ish ears. But I don't want to say it could never happen...

For those who have upgraded (or who want to upgrade) – how did you determine your final (or target) size? When you hit that size, did DSS set in eventually or was hitting that target enough to keep you happy?

I'm glad that thread helped! :appl: And I love my earring jackets so I highly recommend them :wink2: Honestly they are part of the reason I decided to upgrade to the size that I did. With my original studs, there was a gap between the studs and the jackets. I wanted to go up to 0.50 ct each or slightly above, but like you I didn't want to pay for that price jump. So I went for the 0.44 ct each and I've been happy with them since. I haven't gotten DSS yet, I think this size is perfect for me (at least for now :Up_to_something: )

acupunk

Rough_Rock
Stargurl: Those pictures were very helpful for me, thank you! Both sizes look great on your ears. Did you get a lot of fire in the smaller ones (worn without the jackets)? I'm considering the .6-.7 range right now for my first pair (keep changing my mind.) and will be going for either BGD signature or WF ACA. My earlobes are pretty similar to yours. I think the most important factor to me will be how much they sparkle vs the diameter. Other than wearing the jackets (which look much nicer in your new ones!) did you like the smaller set you had, or did they feel much too small for you? I'm looking for an "every day" pair and I live in an area where people aren't too flashy (I'm sure you've seen the show Portlandia.) ;-)

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
I have also upgraded my studs recently. Will you be upgrading with BGD so you can get 100% credit for your old earrings? That's what I did (except with Blue Nile, who were the original vendor of my studs).

To me, it was worth it. My old ones were too small and I didn't like the setting. What made it worth it - to me - was that I stayed pretty much on the minimum required spend to get an upgrade, and then maximized size at around that pricepoint by getting eyeclean Si2s.

So, my original pair were $1,411 and I needed to spend $2,822 to get the 100% credit towards a new pair. I spent $2,856 and got my favoured clarity, colour and cut, and a size increase of 44 points (0.68 to 1.12).

As the experts on here explained at the time, if you bought your studs before the crazy price increases of 2011, it might not make as much sense to upgrade. I bought my original studs in spring 2011 but managed to find a pair that I thought represented great value anyway, so I went for it and have not regretted it. I think it helps if you are willing to compromise in one of the specs. Lots of people wouldn't accept eyeclean SI2s, but to me they're great savings, and I maxed out on colour (D) - which was a coincidence that the most inexpensive pair happened to be D. I'd recommend watching and waiting for a while, and when the perfect pair for you turns up in the inventory, you'll know!

You say you like the size increase that happens around 1 ctw but don't like the price increase. A great way of pumping up the diamond volume is to bezel them in a white metal. Here's mine, for reference:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/theyre-here-stud-upgrade-1-12-ctw-d-colour-blue-nile.187681/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/theyre-here-stud-upgrade-1-12-ctw-d-colour-blue-nile.187681/[/URL]

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
This was a thread from Nov 2012 that has been bumped back up.

What did the OP decide to do?

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
acupunk|1370967672|3463451 said:
Stargurl: Those pictures were very helpful for me, thank you! Both sizes look great on your ears. Did you get a lot of fire in the smaller ones (worn without the jackets)? I'm considering the .6-.7 range right now for my first pair (keep changing my mind.) and will be going for either BGD signature or WF ACA. My earlobes are pretty similar to yours. I think the most important factor to me will be how much they sparkle vs the diameter. Other than wearing the jackets (which look much nicer in your new ones!) did you like the smaller set you had, or did they feel much too small for you? I'm looking for an "every day" pair and I live in an area where people aren't too flashy (I'm sure you've seen the show Portlandia.) ;-)

I just got my first pair of .68ctw from BGD and love them. They are a great size for me for now, though I know I will probably save up for an upgrade on them at some point and not past 1ctw. The BGD ones I have are fantasitcally cut and very sparkly. The size doesn't control that. Being very well cut does.

Here's what 4.5mm looks like on my ear:

bgdearshot1_0.jpg

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Very nice, Bastecat!

I hadn't noticed that this was an old thread. I've noticed this a lot lately - old threads being bumped up, and I never notice till I've spent time reading and perhaps commenting. It's a bit annoying.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Answer to your question how did you determine your final size.

I started with 1.60 tcw (.80 points each) and they were $1,000 so I knew that I would upgrade eventually fast forward three children

I upgraded to 2.05 (1.02 and 1.03) the cut was not good so I had no fire, sintilation or sparkle (later found out that they were not really 2.05 and that they were suppose to be G/H color Si1 clarity they were not) so fast forward and liquidate jewelery later

This March I upgraded for cut and since I was doing so I went to my forever studs 2.40...they are bigger than I could ever want I thought that I'd end up with 2.25 but am so happy. I am 5 '1 107 lbs with large lobes so they look perfect. I never ever take them off and they sparkle in every single kind of lighting.

so it is just personal preference. There are some ps who have 3, 4, 5, and 6 carats and still might upgrade.

I do know that when you make that jump over 1.00 each over over 1.50 each the price goes way up so you are smart to stay around .90 Here is photos of my old stud 2.05 and my ear shot of new 2.40 see if you can see difference don't have old ear shot

oldstuds.jpg

newstudsinbox.jpg

newstuds.jpg

acupunk

Rough_Rock
Wow, those are gorgeous! Thank you for the in-ear picture. They look way bigger than .34 each!

bastetcat|1370974485|3463530 said:
I just got my first pair of .68ctw from BGD and love them. They are a great size for me for now, though I know I will probably save up for an upgrade on them at some point and not past 1ctw. The BGD ones I have are fantasitcally cut and very sparkly. The size doesn't control that. Being very well cut does.

Here's what 4.5mm looks like on my ear:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results