shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Size vs Elegance

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

golden

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone! How are you?

In your opinion, is there a carat weight that is no longer considered elegant, does smaller = elegant?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not necessarily. I think there are a number of factors that make a ring elegant -- how it is set, how it is worn, for instance.

golden

Shiny_Rock
Harriet- I cannot believe you replied first! I was thinking of you and your ring (one of my all time FAVORITES!!!!) as I was posting this question hahaha
Your ring = 110% elegant!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with Harriet. Diamondfan''s EC is pretty big, and it definitely elegant.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Aw, Golden. I was wondering what happened to you. Hope all''s well.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
a simple solitaire diamond of ant size is elegant as long as its quality and has life.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
ant=any...im for any size solitaire...but ant size is a bit toooo small

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/20/2008 11:14:34 PM
Author: TravelingGal
I agree with Harriet. Diamondfan''s EC is pretty big, and it definitely elegant.
Big ditto!!!

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/20/2008 10:25:00 PM
Author: Harriet
Not necessarily. I think there are a number of factors that make a ring elegant -- how it is set, how it is worn, for instance.

Ditto, Harriet!

There are many factors that play into a ring''s elegance!

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/20/2008 11:14:34 PM
Author: TravelingGal
OK, I hereby officially nominate TG for Understatement of the Year! LOL! That thing is not "pretty big" . . . it''s HONKIN'' HUGE!!! And very, very elegant!!!
30.gif
18.gif
30.gif

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi! To me, only 2 things detract from the elegance of a ring: When the setting dominates and when the stones are not kept clean.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think it has anything to do with size, but all about the setting and how it''s worn.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
IMHO, if a diamond is clean and well-cut, there is no "too big"!!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

I swear, I''d wear a door-knob size if it met the above criteria (and I could afford it!!!) OhYesIwould!
1.gif

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
I think that''s a personal choice. Some women can rock a huge ring like it was meant to be on their finger since the day they were born. Others...well...it just doesn''t look right.

For me personally, anything over $10K (whatever size that may happen to be) is too much but that''s due to the way I was raised. That''s not to say that if I were given a $10K ring I wouldn''t wear it
3.gif
but it would be hard for me to actively select a ring of that price for myself.

777_LDY

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/21/2008 8:11:33 AM
Author: Madam Bijoux
Hi! To me, only 2 things detract from the elegance of a ring: When the setting dominates and when the stones are not kept clean.
Big ditto! I have my preferences on settings as well but I can appreciate them as long as they are clean.

I also think that well kept hands make a difference too. Not saying that you need to get a manicure once a week (I rarely get them!) but chewed off dirty fingernails with dry cuticles aren''t very elegant!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have to ditto Madame Bijoux . . .

I think elegance is more a state of mind - confidence in wearing a beautiful ring, and taking enough care so that the stone is kept clean.

Also, totally agree that if the setting is too overpowering, it seems to draw away from the elegance of the diamond.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/20/2008 10:22:22 PM
Author:golden
Hi everyone! How are you?

In your opinion, is there a carat weight that is no longer considered elegant, does smaller = elegant?

IMHO, it isn''t the size that determines elegance. Many small and large diamonds can be overwhelmed by their settings.

Just as a very small diamond/diamonds may be lost in a ''busy'' setting, a large diamond may take on a ''fashion ring'' look. I hesitate to say cocktail, because we''ve discussed that ad nauseam here on PS. (I''m NOT referring to lovely stones in WOW settings.)

And, oddly enough, a big stone can simply be too big the way it is cut, i.e. Pamela Anderson''s ginormous yellow heart shaped diamond ring from Kid Rock. Either way, a very large stone can look garish. But when the setting, or cut, is right, it always appears as an elegant piece (think Grace Kelley''s 12 ct EC from Prince Rainier).

Also, what you pair with the e-ring will enhance or detract from its elegance. I think of Eva Longoria''s beautiful EC that was overwhelmed when she paired it with the huge 3 row diamond band. Eventually she began to think so, too, because she moved the big band to her right hand, and wears a thin eternity band with the EC now.

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
I must also ditto Madame Bijoux and 777_LDY.

I also think timeless=elegant. I feel like rings that were really trendy when they were made have a tendency to lose their elegance after a while.

IMHO, a solitaire (of any size) with a simple band always portrays the most elegance to me. Just my two cents.

(That''s not to say that I don''t LOVE LOVE LOVE the halos and pave I''m seeing so much lately!)

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
I also agree that it depends on the person wearing the stone....Ive complimented people on a ring only to be met with negative remarks about their own piece..."oh it needs to be cleaned" or "It was my mothers,and i hate the setting" and sometimes these remarks are accomplied with a limp wrist and a sholder shrugg rather then a pleasant "Thank You for noticing"this takes away from the elegance of the ring.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think that an elegant ring has anything to do with size. Here are the common features that I have noticed when I see a ring that I think is elegant
- A well cut, clean stone
- A nicely made setting (usually settings that are made for the specific measurements of the diamond, show attention to detail and have a timeless quality)
- The ring fits the wearer. This is not only proportions of the ring to the owners hand, but her personality (I know, kind of subjective)

Off the top of my head I can think of 2 engagement rings that both have a center stone under a carat and are elegant. They belong to my friends. One is a ture antique that is very well made, the other one was designed by her FI with a jeweler. Both were picked out by their FI with their personality in mind.

There are several larger rings I have seen on here that I feel are elegant.

Just my opinion. As you can see, several different diamond shapes, sizes, and types of settings can be elegant in my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results