shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Shapes

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

RB2

Rough_Rock
Hello Everyone.

I am new to this and getting adjusted and soaking in the plethora of information on here. I am actually going to design a ring in platinum for my girlfriend, but really want to decide on a stone shape first. I like square shapes, but somewhat like round too. I really want it to sparkle and don't want a shape that will diminish that too much. Could anyone give me some information on these certain stones and their pros and cons in that respect. Thanks so much.

Asscher
Princess
Radiant
Cushion
Ol Miner
Hearts and Arrows (does this only come round?)
Round Brilliant
Jubilee

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
RB2--Welcome to the world of diamonds! Rather than go into details on the shapes you listed, I''m going to point you to GoodOldGold''s website. They do a fabulous job of explaining all the different shapes and showing samples. If you like the square shape but the brilliance of the rounds you might want to look at the Jubilee or Square Hearts & Arrows (both on the GOG site). Here''s the link:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/

Have fun and good luck!

dani13

Ideal_Rock
If you like square/round shapes, I would definitely check out cushions- imo, they include characteristics of both cuts, all while sparkling like crazy. Just try to stick with the more "modern" cushions- they tend to have more fire. As far as the other cuts, asschers have a certain look, like a pool of water- it is a step cut. Princesses are perfect squares, imo, with harsh lines. Radiants are pretty, but again, a certain look, looks like cracked ice. Dont know much about ole miners... Rounds are classic and pretty, can go wrong with this cut. What cut do you think your girlfriend would prefer???
Again, if you want sparkle, I would go with a round, modern cushion, or radiant.

Here is a great example of a beautiful modern cushion..(mmm, hope u dont mind me using your ring as an ex...)

modcush.jpg

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just wanna throw this out there...do you know if SHE has a preference for a certain shape? Many women have very definite opinions on this matter...and though you might like a certain shape, that doesn''t mean that she will. Is there any way you can casually bring it up (if she doesn''t know you''re designing a ring for her)?? She may narrow the playing field down for you!!!

RB2

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for your help so far. I know she will be delighted no matter what it looks like. I know that we are both very similar in our tastes in general for clean modern designs, so I am fairly sure she will just be elated either way but I know sparkle and beauty are key. The shape will somewhat be influenced by the design I decide on. I am really trying to understand all the pros and cons for all these shapes so I can incorporate that into my idea for design.

I am also thinking I do want something set and designed in a way that doesn''t look too tall or high like a typical solitaire. This may factor into shape as well? Not sure, that is why all this insight is invaluable. Thanks.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
If you are just getting started in your designing, along with getting educated through the various great tutorials, you might want to browse through the Eye Candy thread at the top of the Show Me the Ring section of PS. It is a great way to see lots of shapes, settings etc. There are also specific threads on different shapes andsettings so breezing through there might help you formulate how different shapes sit in different style settings.

windy1365

Shiny_Rock
I love my Princess center stone!! I tried on a round stone and hated it. I like the perfect squareness with sharp corners.

RB2

Rough_Rock
I have been doing a lot of research so far, and am I correct in believing that you can get just as much brilliance in a cushion, jubilee or hearts and arrows square as you would in a round?

Also, what specifically makes these three different and/or better suited for certain looks?

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Honestly, I dont see much of a difference between cushion, regents, jubilees, etc. You just have to get out there and look at some diamonds...you''ll start to see the ranges of "sparkliness." I agree with Island, refer to the goodoldgold website- they have a lot of useful info on there especially re: diamond shapes and their characteristics.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/25/2005 6:10:18 PM
Author: RB2

I am also thinking I do want something set and designed in a way that doesn''t look too tall or high like a typical solitaire. This may factor into shape as well?
One good way to establish if a particular setting is "hig" or "low" is to look at the space between finger and the culet of the diamond - the more there is, the higher the setting. The setting with metal under the stone are the highest, those with empty space between diamond culet and finger are (or at least can be adjusted) low.

Any shape set in a basket setting would be lower. Same for tension rings if you like them. Bezels can be high or low....

The shape of the diamond does not make allot of difference here: it is really on a different scale. It takes a couple of milimeters to make a difference for the height of a ring (IMO 5mm total height from finger to diamond table, is a low setting, 8 is quite high) and tenths of a milimeter between a "deep" and "shallow" cut diamonds of the same weight. For the diamond that small number is important, for the ring - not quite.

One more thing... this is probably a matter of choice, but the diamond shapes cut with a flat crown look less appealing to me. There''s virtually nothing above the girdle and the setting looks "empty" from the side.
7.gif

Just my 0.2, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results