shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Rings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/22/2007 3:42:42 PM
Author: fansynancy
oooh! I love Chopard watches!! I have two. One with Happy Diamonds and one with Happy Fish.

Ooooh! Love the fish. I have one on my list! One of these years . . . Can you post a pic?

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/22/2007 3:43:54 PM
Author: DiamanteBlu
Date: 11/22/2007 3:23:04 PM

Author: Circe

Ooo, gorgeous! I''m a big fan of the warmer colors - they have so much personality! - and I''d love to see a close-up, if it''s not a hassle, both of that gorgeous stone, and of the shank. I''ve never seen one of those up-close, and I''ve been wondering just how they''re constructed ....

P.S. - The mourning ring is incredible! That''s a tradition that I''d never heard of ... is it a family heirloom, do you collect them ... (would you post more pics, she says abashedly)?

The mourning ring is a piece I wanted to buy when I was 16 [one of our fellow ski instructors had a jewelry store and carried antique pieces.] I was short of cash so my dad bought it - and gave it to my mom. Snarl - I call that child abuse. About 20 years ago, my mom finally got the straight scoop and gave it to me. I can take more pics of it. Hopefully it will clear up this weekend. It is miserable out today. Maybe I can decypher the rest of the engraving and do some research on its provenance too.

Is it the EC you would like to see a close up of? I can take more pics. I do have some from the side that I can post after I shrink them. Is it the arthritic shank you are interested in? Let me know. I wish I had access to a professional photographer!

Abuse indeed! Very nice of your mom to rectify the situation once she learned the details, though!

It is indeed the EC that I''m fascinated by: so many people are averse to the warmer colors in EC''s, but I think it really brings out the beauty of the cut ... heightens the steps, somehow. I''m fascinated to have the chance to see one up close! And, yep, the arthritic shank as well (but only if it''s not a hassle - I''ve been planning and planning to get shots of my e-ring w/wedding band, but it can be really labor-intensive to get good shots, resize them, etc.), just because silver-smithing is a hobby of mine, and I''m always looking for new challenges ... the flexible/adjustable shank is one I''ve never tried, just because I can''t for the life of me figure out how the comfortable ones are made - okay, cool, riveted hinges I get, but how on earth does the "clasp" part work comfortably? Does it snap in with a tiny little forged bit with a small catch, or ...?

Thanks for brightening an otherwise gloomy holiday for me: hubby''s had his wisdom teeth out recently, so he''s not feeling chatty, understandably, and we''re new transplants to Cali so the clan element of Thanksgiving is out ... thinking about jewelry from both the aesthetic and technical aspects is keeping me cheery!

widget

Ideal_Rock
OMG...such gorgeous stuff! We definitely needed this after the jessecam disappointment!

That EC is to die for....I''d certainly call it an elongated asscher...yum yum! You said it was an estate ring...do you know how old it is? Do you have stats on the stone?

Thank you SO SO SO MUCH for sharing....we need to see about a zillion more pictures!
3.gif

widget

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Love the EC - both of them. Very nice pieces.
The RB is to die for. More pictures, pretty please!

And the watch - I have always loved Chopard.
My next watch will be one for sure.

Thank you for the pictures, I''d love to see more.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Don't know if I can good pic of the adjustable shanks. I'll see what I can do tomorrow.

The EC has a fingermate shank: http://www.fingermate.com/ . It is knd of a pain because if I carry something heavy or otherwise apply pressure the thing opens up. Since it stays connected I don't think the ring is at risk but I keep having to snap it shut.

The shank of the RB I like much better. It is not going anywhere. If it is open there is a spring that keeps it closed and it has never popped open. Any new ring I have made will use this shank unless something better comes along. This looks like the site: http://www.superringfit.com/index.html

ETA: I am also a silver/goldsmith as a hobby [for 40+ years! ACK!]. Guess I should haul some of my hand made pieces out and post them too! LOL! I would not venture to try to make an arthritic shank. The machining needs to be very precise. Typically what happens is that a ring gets made, the shank is chopped off, and the new, adjustable one is soldered in its place.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
those rings are just stunning
30.gif
30.gif
The Elongated Asscher is WOW

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/22/2007 4:17:06 PM
Author: widget
OMG...such gorgeous stuff! We definitely needed this after the jessecam disappointment!

That EC is to die for....I'd certainly call it an elongated asscher...yum yum! You said it was an estate ring...do you know how old it is? Do you have stats on the stone?

Thank you SO SO SO MUCH for sharing....we need to see about a zillion more pictures!
3.gif

widget

9.gif
Thanks! My stuff is not quite the 10 carat fancy yellow or the 3.5 carat fancy pink!!! LOL!

Don't know how old the EC ring is. My guess is that it is from the 40's because of the shank. Then, again, it could be earlier with the shank added later. I got it from Gleim's and they could [would] not tell me the details [even though I am sure they knew]. I got the impression that the elderly daughter was selling her deceased mom's ring. The only stats I have I posted above: 6.39 center, 9.9x11.8x6.5mm's, VS1, top cape [?] my guess is K/L color, tapered baguettes are very white [in comparison!] and are .26 carats each if I remember correctly. Set in platinum. I'll have to find the paperwork to confirm.

Note: Advanced warning - I need to set the EC into a RHR [since it only fits on my left hand and that is - finally - occupied my my belatedly gotten e-ring]. I will be formally requesting your expert opinions in the medium term!
9.gif

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Wow - I love that shot of the two emerald cuts in the box together. I''d probably kill or maim
2.gif
to get either one of those - but two in one place!!? Yowza! Those rings are just so classic. Bravo!
36.gif

Love the mourning ring too. I love pieces with a history like that. Do you know the specific story with that one?

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/23/2007 4:00:33 AM
Author: LadyAmythyst69
Wow - I love that shot of the two emerald cuts in the box together. I''d probably kill or maim
2.gif
to get either one of those - but two in one place!!? Yowza! Those rings are just so classic. Bravo!
36.gif

Love the mourning ring too. I love pieces with a history like that. Do you know the specific story with that one?

LadyA -
I don''t know anything about it except for the fact that it is a mourning ring probably from Massachusetts or New Hampshire. The inscription inside the ring reads:
Ann Langdon M March ???
Catherine Wells ??? Sept 17??? 1818

Any suggestions of where I might look to find out more?

Thanks,

DB

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
I''m kinda upset. Not in a panic yet . . . and hopefully I won''t get to that point.

Here''s what happened. I hauled out much of my stuff to take more pics. [They are in the camera. I will have to have DH show me how to get them onto the computer so I can post them. Hopefully they came out well enough.] But that is not why I am upset. I am upset because in going through the various velvet boxes I noticed that one of my pieces - a small [1 carat] emerald ring surrounded with little diamonds [the emerald, that is] that my grandmother had gotten me just before she died - was nowhere to be found. Not much monetary value but of immense sentimental value.

I can''t imagine where it went [no, it was not in a white envelope]. I don''t think it grew legs and took off with the Door Knob. It''s got to be here someplace!

In any case, please send send some "find the emerald vibes" my way.

Thanks,

DB

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/22/2007 1:46:21 PM
I''m on a roll! LOL! Here''s the requisite flower/sunshine shot!
9.gif

Holy Crap! That''s smokin''! Celebrity style bling right there.

widget

Ideal_Rock
FindEmeraldVibes heading your way right now!!

It''ll be great fun sitting in on your EC re-set project. Honestly, you sure don''t need to do much...that baby looks just great all by itself!!

BTW...You didn''t ask, but if I were you, and I were planning to remount that diamond, I''d get a GIA report on it. It certainly merits one!

widget

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ai - good emerald vibes in spades! It''s probably in that ubiquitous Very Safe Place: do you have any spots where you sometimes stash things after wearing them? I''ve done that a time or two ... taken something out to wear it, and forgotten to put it back in its designated spot, figuring it will do fine in the nightstand/trinketbox/wherever, which it does until the next time I want to wear it, when I freak myself out searching for it, find it, and stash it again, rinse, repeat, etc.

P.S. - Another amateur jeweler? Now I AM excited ....

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/23/2007 3:50:27 PM
FindEmeraldVibes heading your way right now!!

It''ll be great fun sitting in on your EC re-set project. Honestly, you sure don''t need to do much...that baby looks just great all by itself!!

BTW...You didn''t ask, but if I were you, and I were planning to remount that diamond, I''d get a GIA report on it. It certainly merits one!

widget

Yes, absolutely. Until I found PS I was an ignoramus re certs! I relied on the representations of the jewelry stores! Silly me!

The EC thinks it "wants" to be reset because it doesn''t fit my right hand [yes, it could be sized] and the prongs appear to be worn to me. I''m not in a huge rush but I''d like to get is done by the end of 2008 [she says optimistically
9.gif
].

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/23/2007 3:51:40 PM
Author: Circe
Ai - good emerald vibes in spades! It''s probably in that ubiquitous Very Safe Place: do you have any spots where you sometimes stash things after wearing them? I''ve done that a time or two ... taken something out to wear it, and forgotten to put it back in its designated spot, figuring it will do fine in the nightstand/trinketbox/wherever, which it does until the next time I want to wear it, when I freak myself out searching for it, find it, and stash it again, rinse, repeat, etc.

P.S. - Another amateur jeweler? Now I AM excited ....

Right . . . "very safe". I''m certain it will turn up when I least expect it. I can''t remember the las time I saw it, though.

And, yes, another amateur jeweler. I was going to take pics of some of the stuff I made but I got distracted by the "missing" emerald. Maybe I can take some tomorrow before DH takes the other pics off.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
It feels strange to be making sequential posts! Anyway, since I have taken more pics of "stuff" I''ll go ahead and post some single pics I took a while ago. More shots/angles are in the camera. Let me know what else you would like to see.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Here are some pics of "The Light". E-ring couged up by DH recently. We were engaged with no ring because I had the EC. At the time it was a a challenge to compete with it so I got an e-necklace instead [of which I will post pics]

the light.jpg

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Another:

the light a.jpg

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
One more:

the light b.jpg

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
In the box:

the light in box.jpg

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Sabbadini diamond and emerald ring. I bought this when I closed my first big deal many years ago:

sabbadini 1 smaller.jpg

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Sapphire and diamond earrings [yeah - I know it''s not a ring! I need to get a sapphire ring. Blue sapphire is my favorite stone. Maybe next year . . . sigh . . .]

sapphire and diamond earrings smaller.jpg

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
E-Necklace:

4-stone.jpg

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, you have an amazing collection!!!
3.gif

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/23/2007 5:12:39 PM
Author: Skippy123
Wow, you have an amazing collection!!!
3.gif

Thanks, Skippy. I wish I could get better pics!

And I forgot the specs. I must be tired! RB: 6.89 carat F VS2, size 4, platinum. Sabbadini emerald and diamond ring: 2.5+ carats of diamonds and similar number for emeralds, 18k Au. Where are all my papers? Sapphire earrings are gorgeous and I have no data on them [they were a gift].

More pics coming.

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/22/2007 4:17:06 PM

That EC is to die for....I'd certainly call it an elongated asscher...yum yum! You said it was an estate ring...do you know how old it is? Do you have stats on the stone?

3.gif

widget
So whats up with that? Need way more pics of something that gorgeous!

Anyhow, diamonte - I'm so intrigued by vintage rings like the mourning ring.....I have several oec's and would just love to know all the history behind them.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
BTW, the pieces on the oriental "rug" are not as big as they may look - the "rug" is my mouse pad - courtesy of my favorite oriental rug people: Gregorian in Newton Lower Falls, MA.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Lovely pieces, thanks for sharing!

cheers--Sharon

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/23/2007 4:46:13 PM
One more:
That side view is just fabulous!
18.gif

Thanks for taking more pics
1.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, amazing rings!
6.gif
And as a side note, you have the best mouse pad I have ever seen!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results