shape
carat
color
clarity

diamond opinion, please! (idealscope attached)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fatsushi

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I''m about to pull the trigger on a diamond, but I wanted your valuable opinion first. On paper, everything seems good, but I''m a little concerned about the idealscope image. It appears to have two extra dark areas and a white area between two of the black arrows. Perhaps this is an extra facet? Any thoughts about whether or not I should be concerned about this? Does it seem like a decent deal price-wise? Any thoughts or replies would be greatly appreciated. Happy new year!

Just wanted your opinion on a diamondShape: Round
Carat weight: 1.02
Cut: Signature Ideal
Color: H
Clarity: SI1
Certificate: AGS

Depth: 61.8%
Table: 56%
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Girdle 0.9-2.0
Culet: Pointed
Fluorescence: None

Measurements: 6.41*6.47*3.98
Crown Angle: 34.6°
Crown %: 15.3
Pavillion Angle: 40.7°
Pavillion %: 43
HCA score: 1.1

asking price: $5200

idealscope12.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
ouch couple badly cut facets trashing an otherwise nice diamond.
Id want a discount over super-ideals on it.
dont have time to check the price.
If top cut is a goal keep looking.

fatsushi

Rough_Rock
thanks, strmrdr.

any other thoughts out there?

fatsushi

Rough_Rock
Thanks very much for the reply, Garry.

So, is this actually the result of an extra facet? That was just a guess on my part. Do you think this will affect the fire or brilliance of the diamond at all?

thanks very much!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
no not an extra facet.
A couple facets are not cut right.
Yes it will affect the appearance of the diamond in my opinion.
Its a big enough problem to be eye visible.

fatsushi

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much, Strmdr.

what is the discount you are referring to??

furstwinhall

Rough_Rock
I was looking at this stone too :) Just spoke with them though and the stone was sold yesterday ( i guess they saw these posts and knew what a deal it was). Turns out that the facet had a strange angle to it, but the lighting it was in amplified it and made it look worse than it was, and the stone was 100% eye-clean, you could not see this strange angle with the naked eye. Goes to show you that if you think you''ve found a good deal, talk to the source and make your decision quickly. Looks like both of us let a good one go :)

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/4/2006 2:24:53 AM
Author: fatsushi
Thanks so much, Strmdr.

what is the discount you are referring to??

When you mention PS to WF you get a discount.
If you use the PS search by cut database it lists the discount price.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/4/2006 10:59:36 AM
Author: furstwinhall
I was looking at this stone too :) Just spoke with them though and the stone was sold yesterday ( i guess they saw these posts and knew what a deal it was). Turns out that the facet had a strange angle to it, but the lighting it was in amplified it and made it look worse than it was, and the stone was 100% eye-clean, you could not see this strange angle with the naked eye. Goes to show you that if you think you've found a good deal, talk to the source and make your decision quickly. Looks like both of us let a good one go :)

it may have looked nice but it isnt a super-ideal and it was at near the super-ideal price point.
Under some conditions im fairly confident there would be eye visible differences.
At a $500 discount off the super-ideal price id consider it.
ie: whiteflash ES price level.

furstwinhall

Rough_Rock
Turns out that the stone became available last week. Someone bought it, and then when they priced out the setting they couldn''t afford this stone. I purchased it as I had an eye on it for a while. I figured that if it didn''t look perfect, then I''d send it back. I got it today and have looked at it at some many different angles, lighting conditions etc. that I''m going to make myself crazy
19.gif
I''ve got to hand this one to Jim at James Allen, he told me the stone is clean, and let me tell you that not only is it clean, it''s unbelievable
30.gif
That slight deviation you saw in the idealscope is in no way visible, and I would account it to an anomoly in the lighting conditions. Regardless of the cause, the bottom line is that this stone is Fantastic, and I couldn''t be happier.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
congrates, dont forget pictures

furstwinhall

Rough_Rock
It''s still loose, I haven''t decided on a setting yet! Do you still want pics of it loose? By the way, any ideas on how to get the diamond to "stand up" so that I can use the idealscope to see arrows? Thanks Guys.

furstwinhall

Rough_Rock
Here''s a pic of the loose stone, any ideas on how to get the image to be more clear? What do think?
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results