shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond NooB needs help pleazzzzzzz

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Razza

Rough_Rock
first of all, i''m from the netherlands. I know whiteflash will deliver outside the US, but would u consider it unadvisable for some reason for me to buy from them considering my location? If so, are there other reputable online stores? I''ve never bought a diamond, only been looking at rings now for two days, wasn''t that happy with the stones over here, pricewise/qualitywise. My budget is limited, since i''m still in college, so, i''m looking to spend about $1500-$1700 in total, maybe a little bit more, but that''s about it. Oh, and it''s for an e-ring. I have been looking online now for many hours already, and been to quite a lot of b&m stores too, but the more i see, the more i am unsure what to buy. I already learned some from this forum, about the 4 c''s, and more, but i''m still not sure i can make a good decision on my own, so if u can give advise/feedback on this stone i found, i''d be very happy.

Item Code: AGS-4007003

Price: $1,079.00

Report: AGS
Shape: A Cut Above H&A
Carat: 0.374
Color: E
Clarity: VS2
Depth: 61.4
Table: 56
Crown Angle: 34.7
Crown %: 15.3
Pavilion Angle: 40.8
Pavilion %: 42.9
Girdle: 1.7% to 2.2% Faceted
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Culet: None
Fluorescence: Negligible
Measurements: 4.62-4.64X2.85

DI40X_AGS-4007003.jpg

Another question, can one really asses the sparkle realistically from the photo''s online? I''m sceptical, and since i live in the netherlands, there is no way i can asses in real life if i would buy online from whiteflash. Can i trust the specs to judge sparkle? Even without ever having really seen the stone? Well, i wonder what u think of this stone, and what could be a better choice, considering my budget. I want to spend about $1000-$1100 on the stone alone. Thnx in advance :)

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
looks great

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks like a winner to me. Great choice!!!
30.gif
36.gif

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Hi Razza! Welcome to PS!! The stone you chose looks great; the numbers look like it''s going to be beautiful. If you can get someone at WF to tell you it''s a dazzler, then I think you''re set!

Razza

Rough_Rock
Hi all, thnx for the positive comments. Still wondering about my location/buying from WF, but since nobody even mentioned that, i assume it''s not really an issue then. I guess i''m a bit apprehensive about it, since it''s a lot of money (for me anyway) to spend online. And Sunkist, about asking someone from WF if it''s a dazzler, u really think they won''t just say it is, even when it''s not? Won''t they just try to sell it? As for size, does anyone think i should/could get a bigger one, if i look at stones with lesser clarity, colour etc, without compromising the overall quality of the stone? I kinda like the smaller stones though, as long as the sparkle is "perfect".

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Yes, with a great cut you can go down in color quite a bit and in clarity too, to a very nice eyeclean SI1. And no, WF will not say the diamond looks great if it does not. They are extremely honest and will often recommend less expesive diamonds if they feel they are nicer. They have no reason to be dishonest; they would just see diamonds being returned left and right.

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
There is also something like this...I don''t know RB as well as others here but I know everyone loves the Expert Selection stones and this is a D, a little bigger, and ideal cut...as long as they say it is eye clean...and those selections usually are...

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-1955230.htm#

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
Can you believe the specs?
No, but you can believe Whiteflash.
They are very strict, and if it''s an ACA it is surely nice.

Garysax

Shiny_Rock
Also, be careful with taxes, I think importing to the netherlands should land you a hefty luxury tax? I''m not sure though... does whiteflash handle this? I''m kind of curious actually.

Razza

Rough_Rock
@jazmine: okay, thnx for that info, i guess i'm just a bit suspicious, don't really buy stuff on the net, well, not things like this.

@wallermamma: looks nice, and getting close to 1/2 carat, hmmmm, any opinions on this one, anybody?

Item Code: AGS-6639701
Price: $1,005.00
Report: AGS
Shape: Round Ideal Cut
Carat: 0.460
Color: D
Clarity: SI1
Depth: 61.9
Table: 54
Crown Angle: 34.7
Crown %: 16
Pavilion Angle: 40.7
Pavilion %: 42.9
Girdle: Thin to Slightly Thick Faceted
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Culet: Pointed
Fluorescence: Medium Blue
Measurements: 4.96-4.99X3.08

DI40X_AGS-6639701.jpg

@queenmom, that's good to hear :)
@garysax: OMG, i didn't even think about that yet, i haven't had enough sleep lately, dang. Well, if ur right, this is not gonna work out for me, will ask them.

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
Hi, Razza, I live in Belgium and if you want to import here =""> taxes.
20.gif

If you still want to buy online, you could ask the vendor that he writes something like "repair" on the package, but I''m not sure it will work...
2.gif

just_looking!

Brilliant_Rock
Is there a customs and excise website in the Netherlands that you can refer to? Maybe try this one? http://www.douane.nl/

just_looking!

Brilliant_Rock
How about contacting Infinity Diamonds in Belgium? http://www.infinitydiamonds.be/

Infinity Diamonds B.V.B.A.
Venusstraat 3, 2000 Antwerp, Belgium
Phone: +32 3 289 35 00
Mobile: +32 495 32 53 00
e-mail: [email protected]

He also posts on here so may advise you further on the tax issues.

Europe normally taxes heavily on items from the US.......

Razza

Rough_Rock
@queenmom, nice idea, but i won''t take that risk

@just looking: they don''t say anything specific, i could mail them or call them, but i won''t, cause i know i will have to pay and i can''t afford that. Maybe i will consider buying in Belgium, thnx.

f0rbidden

Shiny_Rock
i know this is a really stupid question, but with the amazing diamond cutting houses in Amsterdam - and the availability of diamonds in NL and in Belgium - why are you looking to have something shipped from the us? won''t you have to deal with customs and fees and taxes and all that?

btw - my husband is from NL so if you want to talk with someone about our shopping process, who can speak with you IN Dutch, let me know ;O)

Razza

Rough_Rock
@forbidden: not a stupid q at all. I must admit, i know nothing about diamonds, only been searching for a ring and diamond for a couple days now. Thnx to the net and this forum i now know a bit about specs. Still, i know nothing about where to buy loose diamonds etc. This forum is the first place i read about online diamond dealers, and prices and quality seemed very good. In b&m stores i''ve been to, prices/quality were not that great, and info on the stones is so limited. I''d rather know exactly what i''m buying, then listening to someone tell me the stone is nice. So a certificate is something i really value. Of course i value the way it looks but i need to start somewhere, so specs seem the way to go. Also, i''ve been rather tired the last couple days, not thinking to the best of my abilities, lol. That''s why i totally forgot about taxes etc. I won''t be buying from US stores. As for cutters in Amsterdam and Antwerp, i know there are very good ones, but i don''t know where to start looking. I would be very happy to take u up on ur offer to talk to u/ur husband about how u found ur stone/ring. I have about 8 weeks to buy a stone. And as i said before, my budget is limited, almost graduated law school, so i''m looking to spend about 1000 euro''s on a stone, hopefully 0.35-0.40 carat and maybe 400-500 euro''s on a ring. I want the ring to be either custom made or at least a bit different than ''the regular'' ones. I want the ring to be a bit personal, since well, the rest isn''t. Just a diamond. I want it somehow to be more personal than that. So i''ll prob try and have one custom made. Hope 500 euro''s will be enough for that. If anyone thinks this is not a good way to spend the budget, i''m always happy with suggestions. And thnx a lot for ur offer to help me with this forbidden, do u want to communicate via mail?

f0rbidden

Shiny_Rock
Razza, please feel free to email my husband - his mail is [email protected]

he doesn''t get much time to speak Dutch here, as i only speak English - so I''m sure he''ll enjoy it!!

Seems to me that 500 Euros should be great for a setting - depending on what you want to do, of course - simple solitare should fall well within that range, and in the meantime, I''ll take a peek around and see if i can find any NL or Belgium resellers. i know i found a couple when i was searching!!

Razza

Rough_Rock
Great
21.gif
, thnx a lot. I will mail ur husband then, soon. I''m trying to find some jewelry stores in Amsterdam now, to find out about prices. And thnx for searching as well, much appreciated. Btw, how can i adress ur husband when i mail him? And i was thinking about a simple solitaire setting, nothing too fancy, just elegant, simple, but nice. But also something in the setting that will make it personal, i mean, like it isn''t just a ring from a shelf. But i think i could get a custom setting for 500 euro''s. One store estimated no more than 400, so i should be okay then. I''m getting more confident now that i will find something really nice
1.gif

f0rbidden

Shiny_Rock
i have no doubt that you''ll find something amazing!!
i haven''t had a chance to look yet, but will do so today to see what i can find in Amsterdam. There have to be great stores there!

oh, Wardancer is a good thing to call my hubby :O)

Look forward to hearing from ya!!

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/12/2006 4:22:41 AM
Author: just_looking!

How about contacting Infinity Diamonds in Belgium? http://www.infinitydiamonds.be/

Infinity Diamonds B.V.B.A.
Venusstraat 3, 2000 Antwerp, Belgium
Phone: +32 3 289 35 00
Mobile: +32 495 32 53 00

e-mail: [email protected]

He also posts on here so may advise you further on the tax issues.

Europe normally taxes heavily on items from the US.......
And you may send your e-mail in Dutch too.

ChooChoo

Brilliant_Rock
I love that D SI1 you posted. That would be my choice!

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
I would definitely contact Paul Slegers. His diamonds are STUNNING!!!!

shay

Razza

Rough_Rock
@forbidden: thnx a lot for looking for me and i''ll mail ur husband today
1.gif

@paul antwerp and shay: i saw the site, looks promising, but prices are not listed, i''ll send an email to find out more. Very good quality diamonds though, just not many in my budget i''m afraid, looking for 0.35-0.50 carat, but the ones listed are very very clean and white, so prob way too expensive.
@choochoo: can''t buy that one unfortunately, i forgot about taxes for shipping to europe.

f0rbidden

Shiny_Rock
i''m glad someone was ahead of me - i was looking and looking for Paul-Antwerp''s info and for love or money (or diamonds) wasn''t finding it!

So..thank you to the person who was able to post that info.

Small

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/13/2006 12:27:17 PM
Author: Razza
@forbidden: thnx a lot for looking for me and i''ll mail ur husband today
1.gif

@paul antwerp and shay: i saw the site, looks promising, but prices are not listed, i''ll send an email to find out more. Very good quality diamonds though, just not many in my budget i''m afraid, looking for 0.35-0.50 carat, but the ones listed are very very clean and white, so prob way too expensive.
@choochoo: can''t buy that one unfortunately, i forgot about taxes for shipping to europe.
I''d email Paul. I just bought a .92 ideal RB (G SI2 H&A) from one of his US vendors (Wink from Winfields) and although I have yet to see it (it''s being appraised) from everything I looked at...it was stunning. And because I bought an SI2 that Paul didn''t consider ''eye clean'' but to me the picture not magnified looked eye clean I bought it for a very very good price. Even better was that the location of this inclusion was on the edge and it was white so it was covered by a prong! Most of the stones in that ct weight were going for at least 500-1500 more and some were not ideal so it''s not out of the realm of possibility that Paul may have something for you.
Although I didn''t speak with him personally I''ve seen alot of his posts and he posted to a few of my threads about his diamond. From what everyone says...his diamonds are stellar! Don''t discount him because of his website...he may be able to help you. Good luck!

Razza

Rough_Rock
great, that sounds promising indeed, i''ll definitely send him an email.

Razza

Rough_Rock
well, i sent Paul Slegers an email. He replied me the next day and it seems promising. He has a couple very nice diamonds, 0.35-0.42 carat. Hope to see the diamonds in person soon.

This one is offered by diamondland.be:

Certificate IGI
Brilliant cut 0.51 ct
Colour : H
Purity : VS2
Proportions : very good
Finishing grade : very good
Fluorescence : nihil
Table Width : 61
Crown Height : 12
Pavillion depth : 42.5
Price per carat 2668 US $
Price for the stone 1361 US $
Price tax included 1646 US $

not that many specs, but does it look at all interesting? Well, the ones offered by Paul Slegers are definitely very good quality, spec wise. Will post if there are any updates.

Razza

Rough_Rock
well, i talked to Paul Slegers, i''m very interested in one diamond, here are the specs:

Shape Round Brilliant - Crafted by Infinity
Weight 0.422
Colour F
Clarity VVS2
Fluorescence Negligible
Report A.G.S. - Ideal 0
Total Depth 61.3%
Table % 57
Crown Angle 34.9°
Crown Height % 14.9%
Pavilion Angle 40.7°
Pavilion Depth % 42.8
Girdle Faceted 1.9% to 2.3%
Culet Pointed
Measurements 4.81 - 4.83 x 2.95 mm.

And he was very fast to reply my mails and friendly over the phone, so thnx for telling me about him
1.gif

Well, i think this should be a very nice one, any comments?

ChooChoo

Brilliant_Rock
I still prefer that D SI1... it''s bigger and the cut looks amazing. But I''m sure this is a nice stone too.

Razza

Rough_Rock
i see, could u perhaps tell me what it is that tells u the cut is better? Cause i''m still a noob, any info would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results