shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond headache

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Hey everyone,

I''m kind of ashamed that I''m on a diamond forum but I don''t know enough to pick a stone. Well my boyfriend is looking to buy a stone from whiteflash (early stages right now) and the max budget for the stone is $8400. So here''s the problem, my psychological size preference is for a RB that is 7 mm in diameter (minimum) other then that, I don''t mind. My boyfriend would like the biggest stone he can get for his money.

So Cutie found me this stone, which I love, but my boyfriend prefers the second one:

http://whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-1332200.htm#

Item Code: AGS-6117605
Price: $8,215.00
Report: AGS
Shape: A Cut Above H&A
Carat: 1.315
Color: H
Clarity: SI1
Depth: 60.5
Table: 55
Crown Angle: 34.6
Crown %: 15.4
Pavilion Angle: 40.7
Pavilion %: 42.9
Girdle: Thin to Medium
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Culet: Pointed
Fluorescence: Negligible
Measurements: 7.11-7.12X4.30

But my boyfriend prefers, this expert selection stone because it''s bigger:

http://whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-1264254.htm

Item Code: GIA-14272182
Price: $8,225.00
Report: GIA
Shape: Round Ideal Cut
Carat: 1.64
Color: I
Clarity: SI2
Depth: 60.4
Table: 57
Crown Angle: 34.9
Crown %: 14.7
Pavilion Angle: 40.8
Pavilion %: 43
Girdle: Thin to Medium Faceted
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Culet: None
Fluorescence: No
Measurements: 7.62-7.68X4.62

I''m unsure about this stone because of the color (it''s an I), on the cut advisor it''s 2.2. So good, but not excellent. BUT most of all, on the whiteflash pic, I can see the inclusions and this black, graining stuff on the sides. I don''t know how those pictures are taken and if I''m going to be able to see them in real life.

And then, I figure, if I want to save money, and get a stone in the 1.2 range, I''d could just get this one:

http://whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-1182545.htm

Item Code: GIA-13252067
Price: $6,515.00
Report: GIA
Shape: Round Ideal Cut
Carat: 1.27
Color: H
Clarity: SI1
Depth: 60.7
Table: 56
Crown Angle: 35
Crown %: 15.3
Pavilion Angle: 40.9
Pavilion %: 43.2
Girdle: Very Thin-Medium Faceted
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Culet: None
Fluorescence: Medium Blue
Measurements: 7.03-7.05X4.27

I like the color (H), and the flourescence, and the ideal scope image, but the picture (once again) looks really messy to me, because of the black stuff on it. I''m giving myself a headach with this. I''m hoping the reason I see the imperfections on the diamond is because the picture is magnified. Well, if anyone has any opinons, I would love to hear them.

Thanks so much!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the first one nice numbers , nice IS, ACA so should be true h&a.
Awesome diamond.

The second I dont like.
The inclusion is likely eye visible and the IS image isnt nearly as nice as the first.

The third is a viable option.
Before I bought it id want Brian to look it over for eyeclean and duribility issues with the v-thin girdle and the type of inclusion.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I gotta say that I also LOVE the first pick.....the numbers are ridiculously perfect, and the IS image.....SWOONABLE.

However, I really think you should get on the phone with Brian and ask HIM about the stones. Over my time here, I''ve found it''s REAL easy to misinterpret the photos here. Plots/photos can look unbelieveably messy when they are magnified, but it only matters if you can SEE them in real life. Brian can tell you that.

The 1.27 is a viable option, but I prefer your first pick.

For me.....you LOVE the first stone, and you''re the one that has to wear it. I''d go with your gut and pick the first one.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Dear Alley

It is obvious that the A Cut Above is superior to the others.

But I''d advise you to have the stone checked by an independent, so you have some help in selecting whatever stone or stones, you want to consider.

Rockdoc

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
of course #1 looks good
3.gif
but, i do think you should call wf and tell them of your criterion, then they can help pick a stone that best fits what you are looking for. best of luck!

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Hey everyone,

Thank you so much for your input! I keep going round and round on this one. I really love the first, one. THANKS TO CUTIE! Who found it for me. I want to see. have them checked out, but I live in Canada, Quebec, and shipping it over the border is 15% tax, so I''m going to buy this thing site unseen. Very scary. I''m going to ask my boyfriend to call Brian (try to keep some romance in it) and see if I can bring him over to my side.

Thanks everyone!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I like the bigger stone.
11.gif
But, I do think you should have Brian give you some guidance on this. #1 appears to be a no brainer; but, I really do like the value the bigger stone presents. Maybe he can shed some light on it.

#3 is a viable choice if you need to shave your budget.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2005 1:04:01 PM
Author: allycat0303
Hey everyone,

Thank you so much for your input! I keep going round and round on this one. I really love the first, one. THANKS TO CUTIE! Who found it for me. I want to see. have them checked out, but I live in Canada, Quebec, and shipping it over the border is 15% tax, so I''m going to buy this thing site unseen. Very scary. I''m going to ask my boyfriend to call Brian (try to keep some romance in it) and see if I can bring him over to my side.

Thanks everyone!
Dear Ally

You have really answered your own question. YOU LOVE THE FIRST ONE.... The others are "excuses" for what you really want.

When one considers you''re going to wear this for a lifetime, and it is a symbol of your feelings to him, and him to you, I know I wouldn''t want my girl to have an "excuse", and neither should Cutie.

Consider that AFTER you pay for the stone, the money really doesn''t matter any more.... The diamond being "that very special" Pet Rock becomes far more important.

Sure it will "hurt" to write the check for the increased amount but, afterwards that minor discomfort will erase itself.

That stone ( number #1) appears to be one of Whiteflash''s new line stones, and I''ve examined a few of them - and I like them a lot.

While not an Eightstar exactly, they do have wonderful dispersion in all intensities of light, and more in low light environments, which similar characteristics are with the Eightstar Diamonds.

As I always say....." Buy the Diamond - not the price"!

Rockdoc

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
The first one looks great.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
I agree with everyone else. I have an SI2 but the inclusions in this SI2 make me nervous. Speaking to Brian at WF about it is a good suggestion, though. From what I''ve read, he is exceptioanlly good at describing the reality of an inclusion in a stone.

I think we''ve all had "diamond headaches" at some point, in one form or another!
2.gif
Hang in there--a great ring is coming YOUR way!
36.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Definitely talk to Brian re: the stones, he has a great eye and knows how picky customers can be and rightly so when spending lots of $$!! I always spend some time talking about inclusions with him. My stone in SI2 and I love it but it definitely has more going on in it than my previous SI1.

I really like Stone #1...stone #2 seems like a great buy IF the stone is eye-clean AND you know that you will be okay with an I colored stone. Otherwise the first stone seems more safe and it meets your 7mm criteria.

Don't get overwhelmed...all the options are good actually, I like the Med Blue in the #3 H SI but don't like the crown angle as much. #1 seems most cherry in terms of specs...but I wouldn't toss #2 totally out of the running just yet esp since the numbers are very nice.

Drewgasm

Rough_Rock
Just my 2 cents worth......Personally, I would never buy anything less than a VS1........inclusions make me nervous....bigger is not always better.....also, I would never go less than H for color......With the budget your working with, you could easily find something maybe a tad smaller, but an overall better quality stone.....whiteflash and many others on this site have huge selections.......you would have no problem whatsever.....but if bigger is what you want.....then who am I to say.....thats the beauty of chosing diamonds, we all have different preferences.....you get what makes you happy
26.gif
......Good Luck With Your Search......

Andrew

cute330xigrl

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/2/2005 1:04:01 PM
Author: allycat0303
Hey everyone,

Thanks everyone!

You''re most welcome! But Maybe , just MYBE.. Brian will say the one your b/f selected is eye clean.
31.gif
Let us (if you can) know how it turns out.
2.gif

Interesting tho, no comments made on stone#3''s twinning. Perhaps there''s no big deal to it other than they''re just simple inclusions in a trail? Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results