shape
carat
color
clarity

"Diamond expert" told me to stick to measurements only...

JoshuaNiamehr

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Re: "Diamond expert" told me to stick to measurements only..

SI1 to me means a diamond with inclusions, that can be seen under a loupe - in layman terms.

I have yet to see a GIA graded SI1, Round, Under 2.5 carats, Ideal-Super Ideal, that isnt eye clean.

You are saying you can see them with the naked eye? And I disagree.

Im looking for examples on other sites, will revert.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

JoshuaNiamehr|1424721829|3837100 said:
SI1 to me means a diamond with inclusions, that can be seen under a loupe - in layman terms.

I have yet to see a GIA graded SI1, Round, Under 2.5 carats, Ideal-Super Ideal, that isnt eye clean.

I dont think you quite understand his grievance.

You said that "you can't see them with the naked eye. Its under a loupe that you can see them. Which is what an si1 will mean"

Which would leave someone to infer si 1 means eye clean but not loupe clean. Which is not the case. Si1 clarity does not mean anything about eye cleanliness, directly. From my understanding, and of course I don't know anything about diamonds, but a clarity grade is the level of inclusions or inperfections in the stone,not a reference to how many of these inclusions are visable to a particular viewer from a particular distance with the naked eye.

JoshuaNiamehr

Shiny_Rock
Trade

I dont think Im alone in my viewpoint - in fact according to GIA:

"Slightly Included (SI1 and SI2) - Inclusions are noticeable to a skilled grader under 10x magnification"

http://www.gia.edu/gia-about/4Cs-Clarity

RockyRacoon,

So far one vendor I searched shows every SI1 diamond they have under 2.5 carats as eye clean, without exception.

The next lists virtual inventory SI1 as N/A.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

JoshuaNiamehr|1424723184|3837110 said:

"Slightly Included (SI1 and SI2) - Inclusions are noticeable to a skilled grader under 10x magnification"

RockyRacoon,

So far one vendor I searched shows every SI1 diamond they have under 2.5 carats as eye clean, without exception.

You're quote from Gia is actually not at all what I'm talking about.

you seem to be intent on ignoring the point of contention. in your chat you imply that the definition of SI1 GRADING is that its eye clean,just not loupe clean. that snippet you linked, again, refers to only loupe viewing, not naked eyeviewing.

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock

RockyRacoon,

Spent about 5 minutes looking.

Here you go:
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3227653.htm

Now that you can see that you're misinformed about this topic, how will you modify your statements to ensure you aren't continuing to misinform potential customers?

JoshuaNiamehr

Shiny_Rock
Trade

This is AGS though and Ive said from the beginning Im referring to GIA standards. Im of the opinion that AGS grades 1 color and clarity grade too strong, and this might be an example of such.

I dont see anywhere the diamond being listed as not-eye clean for this diamond.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

RockyRacoon|1424723633|3837114 said:

RockyRacoon,

Here you go:

Now that you can see that you're misinformed about this topic, how will you modify your statements to ensure you aren't continuing to misinform potential customers?

RR

Sense this started off about a particular vendor, I feel like some vendors might be reluctant to comment. Maybe start a thread specifically calling vendors to discuss eye cleanliness? Then we can get experts with as much experience to comment.

I'd love to hear

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock

JoshuaNiamehr|1424723866|3837116 said:
This is AGS though and Ive said from the beginning Im referring to GIA standards. Im of the opinion that AGS grades 1 color and clarity grade too strong, and this might be an example of such.

Whiteflash uses a symbol for eye-clean stones. Stones that do not have the symbol are not judged as obviously eye-clean.

Here is a .74ct, rated by GIA, yet is not eye-clean:
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3063799.htm

I don't know how many examples you need to see to understand this simple point.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Niel|1424724183|3837117 said:
Maybe start a thread specifically calling vendors to discuss eye cleanliness? Then we can get experts with as much experience to comment.
I'd love to hear

I agree. This will allow for more open discussion and will not be limited to any particular vendor or stone currently for sale.

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock

Niel|1424724183|3837117 said:
RockyRacoon|1424723633|3837114 said:

RockyRacoon,

Here you go:

RR

Sense this started off about a particular vendor, I feel like some vendors might be reluctant to comment. Maybe start a thread specifically calling vendors to discuss eye cleanliness? Then we can get experts with as much experience to comment.

I'd love to hear

Niel -

Great idea.

Please feel free to start, and I will happily join in!

JoshuaNiamehr

Shiny_Rock
Trade

RockyRacoon|1424724316|3837118 said:

Whiteflash uses a symbol for eye-clean stones. Stones that do not have the symbol are not judged as obviously eye-clean.

I have never ever been able to see an SI in a .74 that I know for sure - Im not 20/20 but I dont have the need for corrective lenses, I can grade color by feel for the most part when sifting through parcels of diamonds, but have never been able to spot SI vs VS in diamonds of this size that are GIA graded, with the naked eye - from over 6 inches away, I find it is impossible to focus on something this size from less than 6 inches away.

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock

JoshuaNiamehr|1424726909|3837136 said:
RockyRacoon|1424724316|3837118 said:

I have never ever been able to see an SI in a .74 that I know for sure - Im not 20/20 but I dont have the need for corrective lenses, I can grade color by feel for the most part when sifting through parcels of diamonds, but have never been able to spot SI vs VS in diamonds of this size that are GIA graded, with the naked eye - from over 6 inches away, I find it is impossible to focus on something this size from less than 6 inches away.

It's possible you might not be the best person to judge if a stone is eye-clean or not.

It would be worthwhile to inform consumers in the future, 'MANY SI1 stones, including all of the stones I've seen, are eye-clean. However, some consumers have found SI1 stones that are not eye-clean to their standards.'

That is your actual experience in the marketplace.

Anything less than that is deceitful.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade

What exactly is your definition of eye clean, Joshua?

We see Si1 diamonds every day that are not eye-clean. And some of them we have for sale. Just because an inclusion can be technically seen with the naked eye does not necessarily make the diamond undesirable. But to some buyers it is a deal breaker. When you are selling to consumers remotely, you have a duty to be very accurate with your information and very specific with your descriptions.

JoshuaNiamehr

Shiny_Rock
Trade

My definition of eye clean is a diamond being viewed from 6+ inches away - has no visible inclusions or spotting that can be seen without a loupe.

And I agree - I only say a diamond is eye clean if no inclusions can be seen with the naked eye from 6+ more inches away.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade

JoshuaNiamehr|1424730486|3837151 said:
My definition of eye clean is a diamond being viewed from 6+ inches away - has no visible inclusions or spotting that can be seen without a loupe.
By that definition I do not see any way to reconcile your observations other than the fact that most people cannot really focus at 6 inches. Perhaps you are among them.

Here is our definition and I think it is one that is very similar to others in use.
No inclusions visible to the naked eye of a person with 20/20 vision when viewing the diamond in the face-up position at a distance of approximately 10 inches under normal overhead lighting .
Distance, lighting and human vision all influence this judgment. There is no universally agreed upon definition of eye-clean in the trade so we developed this one in order to communicate meaningfully with our customers. 10 inches is the ‘distance of most distinct vision’ as defined by the field of optometry. It is also a basis used by the AGS Laboratory in light performance grading, and so this is a logical standard and a practical baseline.

We do have customers who specifically ask about eye-clean at 6 inches and/or from the side. We will provide that info on request but our standard definition is above.

Chihuahua6

Shiny_Rock

AFTER I mentioned eye cleanness as a general concern as a possible effect on light performance I was told "all of these diamonds are eye clean." I had inquired about only two diamonds and one was located in India. "All" to me means all of the diamonds listed. It was not explained that "all ideal cuts" are eye clean or that "the two" I had originally inquired about were eye clean. It was a general statement.

How can you tell if a diamond is eye clean if it is located in another country which many on the site are? This general statement was deceptive.

The whole conversation had a condescending tone to it, no closing, no thank you, not helpful at all. I seriously feel that if this business would hire a professional customer service representative who is trained in diamonds, it would pay for itself and then some. I speak as a consumer as well as a successful business owner who built a business on reputation and customer service.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Texas Leaguer|1424728809|3837143 said:

What exactly is your definition of eye clean, Joshua?

We see Si1 diamonds every day that are not eye-clean. And some of them we have for sale. Just because an inclusion can be technically seen with the naked eye does not necessarily make the diamond undesirable. But to some buyers it is a deal breaker. When you are selling to consumers remotely, you have a duty to be very accurate with your information and very specific with your descriptions.

And this is just one of the MANY reasons that WhiteFlash has such an outstanding reputation here after many years of honest selling. I was just looking at pairs of diamonds for a studs upgrade in the last week, and this diamond below is one I was considering because it has a great VS2 match. I didn't even notice that the eyeclean symbol was missing. But after I suggested a couple of pairs, Sheerah immediately informed me that the stone was not eyeclean and she would not recommend it for me since I was really searching for VS2 in the first place and definitely am particular about stones being eyeclean.

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3063720.htm

Enchanted Diamonds would be wise to learn from those who have built successful diamond businesses by being extremely honest and supplying the maximum amount of information to customers who ask for it. Putting down those of us here who advise people to buy well cut stones and helping them search for them is not a good start if you want to advertise here. I am inclined not to recommend ED stones any more all all after this thread. But certainly I'd never recommend an SI1 stone since you apparently cannot judge whether they are eyeclean.

JoshuaNiamehr

Shiny_Rock
Trade

diamondseeker thanks for your feedback as always.

Every client who has worked with Enchanted has been sold only an eye clean diamond. Every client has had access to every piece of information we have, and our return rate is under 1% (unheard of in ecommerce, let alone jewelry)...

I hope overtime you will see our approach only benefits consumers (saving money) and that my point is there is a point of diminishing returns when it comes to some of the things that are so heavily being scrutinized.

Fact is - we've never ever sold a diamond that wouldnt be considered eye-clean by the wonderful PriceScopers of the world.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Chihuahua6|1424737501|3837208 said:
AFTER I mentioned eye cleanness as a general concern as a possible effect on light performance I was told "all of these diamonds are eye clean." I had inquired about only two diamonds and one was located in India. "All" to me means all of the diamonds listed. It was not explained that "all ideal cuts" are eye clean or that "the two" I had originally inquired about were eye clean. It was a general statement.

How can you tell if a diamond is eye clean if it is located in another country which many on the site are? This general statement was deceptive.

The whole conversation had a condescending tone to it, no closing, no thank you, not helpful at all. I seriously feel that if this business would hire a professional customer service representative who is trained in diamonds, it would pay for itself and then some. I speak as a consumer as well as a successful business owner who built a business on reputation and customer service.
That is the reason why I only deal with in-house stones. I am not going on a wild goose chase b/c this vendor have no idea if the stone is eye clean or not.

JoshuaNiamehr

Shiny_Rock
Trade

Dancing Fire said:
Chihuahua6|1424737501|3837208 said:

That is the reason why I only deal with in-house stones. I am not going on a wild goose chase b/c this vendor have no idea if the stone is eye clean or not.

Most polishers we work with guarantee if the diamond is eye clean or not, would be happy to give you an inside look as to how the diamond trade works today with the internet being the medium for the majority of transactions in b2b. Feel free to reach out sometime and Ill give you a tour!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Okay, I can out aside the eyeclean SI issue. I never recommend a stone I suspect might be not eyeclean.

But you need to have your people stop putting down PS advice if you intend to advertise here. Because if someone is looking for stones at the lowest possible price point, I HAVE been looking through your inventory and recommending stones. I can usually pick out ones that are best by looking at the grading report, the photo of the stone, and any other images provided. I do not recommend anyone buy a stone blind. But since many of your stones DO have additional information, there is no great reason for your sales people to dismiss our recommendations!

JoshuaNiamehr

Shiny_Rock
Trade

I was giving my opinion about IdealScope as a must have - I simply dont agree - I think predictive light performance is a very very very strong indicator of beauty in a diamond (the numbers even if rounded tell a great story)...

Here is where I am admittedly incorrect in the belief - can it be a great resource for average consumers to understand a diamond without understanding predictive light performance?

YES

Re: Eye-clean, why not ask the vendor if a diamond is eye clean, and have them assure you that it is/isnt the case.

I would never ever ship a non-eye clean diamond to a client. We spend hundreds of dollars on shipping+insurance, and possibly could end up with a not-eye clean diamond in my inventory that will never ever sell... With over 99,000 diamonds with photos on our site this evening, I have no reason to ever ship a diamond that isnt eye clean.

We are super strict on beauty, eye cleanliness, hazyness, milkyness etc - because of our no inventory policy. A lot of those not eye clean goods get bought on credit by vendors (no worry about carry) to move them in retail to unsuspecting clients.

As an online retailer who works very hard to hold 0 inventory - a big part of the job is to make sure we are shipping diamonds people will never ever want to return. We have been very successful to date with this business model.

For the most part I concede with many many points here on PS. I source and reference PS on a regular basis. I even tell my clients to post a diamond onto PS for independent thoughts from prosumers. Literally all the time.

We've made a ton of changes to our site based on PS community feedback... Like you all thought it was misleading that we had our cut opinion listed with the GIA Certified title - we totally agree! We never thought of it that way and as soon as PS'ers mentioned it - we changed it!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have recommended stones on your site that have a great diamond image that does not show obvious leakage and maybe has an arrows reflector image along with excellent numbers. I don't always 100% of the time have to have an idealscope image on stones like that. Some have the computer generated images which is better than nothing. Some people are not going to pay for super ideal cut and I realize that. So I try to find the best cut stone in the GIA Ex range. The only stones I totally disregard are ones that have nothing but a grading report. Any images are helpful. I actually do like the feature of being able to sort the diamonds by the cut number even though I know I have to look at the grading reports and other images and not just go by the number. I usually do prefer the ones that have the 100 score or 97+. I have not had much difficulty finding stones on ED to recommend even though I eliminate stones that have nothing but a grading report.

I realize there may be others here saying never buy a diamond without an idealscope image, but your customer service people need to not put down that advice and simply say let's find you a stone that has more info then.

JoshuaNiamehr

Shiny_Rock
Trade

Very much agreed - Im actually working very hard to bring more IdealScope and ASET images online than ever before. Get excited :)

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade

JoshuaNiamehr|1424740816|3837239 said:
I was giving my opinion about IdealScope as a must have - I simply dont agree - I think predictive light performance is a very very very strong indicator of beauty in a diamond (the numbers even if rounded tell a great story)...

Here is where I am admittedly incorrect in the belief - can it be a great resource for average consumers to understand a diamond without understanding predictive light performance?

YES

Re: Eye-clean, why not ask the vendor if a diamond is eye clean, and have them assure you that it is/isnt the case.

I would never ever ship a not eye clean diamond to a client? I spend hundreds of dollars on shipping, and possibly could end up with a not-eye clean diamond in my inventory that will never ever sell...

We are super strict on beauty, eye cleanliness, hazyness, milkyness etc - because of our no inventory policy. A lot of those not eye clean goods get bought on credit by vendors (no worry about carry) to move them in retail to unsuspecting clients.

As an online retailer who works very hard to hold 0 inventory - a big part of the job is to make sure we are shipping diamonds people will never ever want to return. We have been very successful to date with this business model.

For the most part I concede with many many points here on PS. I source and reference PS on a regular basis. I even tell my clients to post a diamond onto PS for independent thoughts from prosumers. Literally all the time.

We've made a ton of changes to our site based on PS community feedback... Like you all thought it was misleading that we had our cut opinion listed with the GIA Certified title - we totally agree! We never thought of it that way and as soon as PS'ers mentioned it - we changed it!
How do you prevent selling a "not eye clean" diamond to a customer if you have never examined the diamond before you sell it? Do all manufacturers accurately verify that their Si1 diamonds are eye-clean at 6 inches?

You keep using the term "predictive light performance" and you say it is a "very, very, very strong indicator of beauty". Could you elaborate on exactly what you mean by that? With three "very's" it must be pretty ground breaking stuff that I'm sure it would be interesting for all of us to learn about.

Could you also explain what you meant when you said earlier that you are able to grade color by "feel"?

bbmustang

Rough_Rock

For the record I asked this Joshua for a ideal scope earlier this evening and he told me not all of his polishers have and ideal scope but if I didn't love the diamond I could send it back and he would pay for the ideal scope

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

bbmustang|1424746996|3837303 said:
For the record I asked this Joshua for a ideal scope earlier this evening and he told me not all of his polishers have and ideal scope but if I didn't love the diamond I could send it back and he would pay for the ideal scope

I will look to see if you have posted the stone on a thread. I'll comment there.

MelisendeDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade

Texas Leaguer|1424744089|3837278 said:

YES

I would never ever ship a not eye clean diamond to a client? I spend hundreds of dollars on shipping, and possibly could end up with a not-eye clean diamond in my inventory that will never ever sell...

How do you prevent selling a "not eye clean" diamond to a customer if you have never examined the diamond before you sell it? Do all manufacturers accurately verify that their Si1 diamonds are eye-clean at 6 inches?

You keep using the term "predictive light performance" and you say it is a "very, very, very strong indicator of beauty". Could you elaborate on exactly what you mean by that? With three "very's" it must be pretty ground breaking stuff that I'm sure it would be interesting for all of us to learn about.

Could you also explain what you meant when you said earlier that you are able to grade color by "feel"?

Bryan,

Since when do other trade get to grill a competitor on their business model here on Pricescope?
It looks an awful lot like you are highlighting the weaknesses of the dropshipping model compared to in house diamonds which is especially inappropriate coming from a direct competitor of Joshua's with a different "superior" business model.

I am also pretty sure you know or should know the answer to all the "loaded" questions you are asking above as we often have access to same/similar suppliers and inventory.

If I was Joshua I would ignore your questions and consider your motives for posting in his thread as this thread is predominantly an "attack" or "clarification" on his business and policies.

It seems clear to me from Joshua's answers that the notes/communication provided by his suppliers on clarity combined with GIA's numbers based predictive cut grading is good enough in his opinion and those of his satisfied customers so let us leave it at that.

Just like other trademembers have done here in the past he claims a low return rate, and until the regulars on Pricescope can refer to threads where the opposite is true why don't we give him the benefit of the doubt.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade

MelisendeDiamonds|1424785556|3837408 said:
Texas Leaguer|1424744089|3837278 said:
Bryan,
Since when do other trade get to grill a competitor on their business model here on Pricescope?
It looks an awful lot like you are highlighting the weaknesses of the dropshipping model compared to in house diamonds which is especially inappropriate coming from a direct competitor of Joshua's with a different "superior" business model.

I am also pretty sure you know or should know the answer to all the "loaded" questions you are asking above as we often have access to same/similar suppliers and inventory.

If I was Joshua I would ignore your questions and consider your motives.

Just like other trademembers have done here in the past he claims a low return rate, and until customers on pricescope can refer to threads where the opposite is true why don't we give him the benefit of the doubt.
I not challenging his business model. There are many jewelers whose goal is to have "zero inventory". In fact, a part of our business model is supplying stones we do not stock.

I ( along with others) was questioning his assessment of eye-clean and the assertion that he has never bought or sold an Si1 under 2.5 carats that was not eye clean. At 6 inches viewing distance at that! (he never mentioned any other parameters such as viewing angle or lighting).

As you well know Haroutioun, vendors are indeed allowed to share ideas on this forum and even to engage in respectful debate. YOU are certainly no stranger to challenging other trade members over their claims or asking pointed questions!

He certainly can choose not to respond. That is also allowed. But I don't think anyone should expect to make questionable statements without being questioned. Especially in a public forum with so many knowledgeable participants.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

[quote="MelisendeDiamonds|

Bryan,

[/quote]

IYO...Why is dropshipping a "superior" business model??.. :confused:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results