shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond dealers in DC metro?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kevinraja

Shiny_Rock
Can anyone give me the list of reputable loose diamond dealers in washington d.c. metropolitan area?

Thanks.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Here''s a two...; do a search here referencing "DC," as others tend to have more encouraging things to say than me.

I read here people wildly happy with jeweler Mark Turnowsky in New York, a GIA trained Jeweler who apparently knows both diamonds and customer service very well. Also, he only seems to carry GIA graded diamonds, and each of the people who share about their happiness, when they describe their diamonds, do not report info on widely sought after data here, to include crown and pavilion angle measurements. So I should maybe not be so focused on this.

Otherwise, only Washington Diamond and Charleston Alexander in the DC metro area are jewlers that seem to have sarin measuring technology. Also, no local independent appraiser seems to have this either. (Oh, yes, also the DC and VA mall based Christian Bernard that feature the Heats of Fire diamonds.) Charleston Alexander posts descriptions of their wares on the internet, and for those AGS rated stones, you can walk in having run the HCA on them already.

I''m in DC, too. The only experience I have with Charleston Alexander is not positive, but hopefully it was a bad day (for either them or me). Washington Diamond, according to the Washingtonian, will call you a lot after you show up and ask you if you''re ready to buy yet.

Sorry to not have more happy suggestions. Consider the web vendors, my other shopping ideal-scope will help you shopping anywhere...I did pick up one recently, but haven''t had much of a chance to use it.

To others reading here...if you have experience with any local vendors using the ideal scope, so you''ve trained them in what to expect, if not how to use it...I''d especially like to know.

Kevinraja, best wishes, and Happy New Year.

Momoftwo

Brilliant_Rock
We haven''t used them personally, but I''ve heard good things about Mervis in Tyson''s Corner from friends that have. We plan on looking for my 25th anniversary upgrade stone there next year.

kevinraja

Shiny_Rock
I checked Mervis website. I was looking for Emerald cut stones. In my opinion, their collection (from numbers) doesn''t look like they are all that. Moreover, they are overpriced. Charleston Alexandar have better collection, and their price is way better than Mervis. I have heard that CA does negotiate when it comes to price. I will be visiting Washington Diamond next week.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
you must contact Dirt Cheap Diamonds--you can have the stone sent to Martin Fuller--an awesome appraiser down there.

kevinraja

Shiny_Rock
I called DCD, they gave me a list of stones satisfying my specifications. I asked them whether they have them in-house so that I could take a look at them. They said NOPE. They told me that only have Round, Princess, etc in-house.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
could they send the two best to the appraiser for you--i think they will do that

Momoftwo

Brilliant_Rock
Charleston Alexander appears to be just as pricey as Mervis. I have heard nothing but good things about dealing with Mervis from 4 of our friends. Customer service, etc. is supposed to be very good. Charleston Alexander deals in a lot of large stones and custom pieces. They advertise in the Washington Post every weekend and show $20,000 plus pieces. Let us know what you find ..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results