shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Dealer, or Rock Star...back story....

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
@diamondyes started a thread about origins...
It got me thinking.....
When I got my first diamond industry job at Harry Winston, my main motivation was a source of income to buy more guitars. I dreamed of becoming a rock star as a kid.....
All through my career in diamonds, I've had a second career as a musician.
Very occasionally nowadays- but years ago, I was much more active in music.

By 1985, I'd worked my way up to becoming an on the road salesman. It was a really big deal coming from being a diamond grader, assorter, order filler.
As a diamond assorter/grader, you could make a decent salary for a 28 year old.
The road guys and gals started exponentially higher.....becoming an on the road salesperson was a huge promotion.

And I'd done it!!!

The first jewelry show to which I was assigned to work was at the New York Hilton. (The show was later moved to The Javits Center.) The show was in the middle of July.
AS a young pup salesperson, a jewelry show was a big deal for me. ( can't really stand them anymore, but that's another story)

At the same time I was playing guitar in, and co-producing an Elvis impersonator show. Bobby Grandville was our Elvi guy.
Somehow we got a booking to open for Jay Black ( of Jay and the Americans) on Midwood Field, in Brooklyn NY.

A Saturday night.

It just so happened that the particular Saturday night was the first night of my first jewelry show.

@^%#%

As far as the band went..... we had to accept the booking, so I hired a buddy of mine to sit in on guitar.
The show was at about 8 pm. That means the musicians need to be in place, tuned and ready to go at about 7:45

My first road job was selling colored stone rings for a company called "Baden and Foss" (since out of business)
The boss....he wasn't exactly the easiest guy in the world.....( a total a$$hat) ( another, that's another story)
Anyway.
Forget about letting me leave early, he made me close up at the booth, and it was about 7pm when I got in my car to drive from midtown Manhattan to Brooklyn.
Somehow- I really don't see how this was possible- I got to the venue in time. I remember getting super lucky and a cop let me drive right up behind the stage. I managed to run up on stage before the show- and I mean right before- I didn't even have time to take off my tie.
Unbelievably , there's video evidence....

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rock star ! Diamond dealer ! Rock Diamond!! (sounds more realistic than Star Dealer) :)

Love the part where you’re wiggling the neck. So “rock star”ish. I call seconds for other parts of this video :)

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Is "Pron" an intentional misspelling? As in "Sparkle ****" in which I'm accused of indulging?

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awesome! Rock star, diamond pro and Inigo Montoya. :lol-2:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awesome job! I’m not an Elvis fan but it looked like you were having a great time!

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Or did you mean “prawn”? Haha

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I’m not an Elvis fan
Thinking back....when I was first approached for the Elvis show, I was known as a rocker....loud...hard rock, long hair....
So when the kid up the block who played drums approached me asking if I wanted to play with an Elvis impersonator, I laughed.
"But we have a gig and it pays $50"
"What time is rehearsal?", I asked...

In the ensuing years, I not only became an Elvis fan. but it opened my eyes to a new world of music.
When Elvis went back on the road, in 1969, he got James Burton to play guitar.
Burton had gained fame playing with Ricky Nelson.....
He's the antithesis to Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck and Eric Clapton.....and it really opened my eyes to a whole new segment of music....
Maybe this is similar to folks who come here thinking they hate marquise ( for example) then see beautiful designs and change their attitude...

If you want to see something gut-wrenching.. and it really showcases how incredible this man was as a singer and musician...
I think this might be the last video of him playing. He's bloated and looks nothing like he did just a few years prior- when he'd walk onto the stage like a god..
The power and emotion in this performance can bring tears to your eyes....

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thinking back....when I was first approached for the Elvis show, I was known as a rocker....loud...hard rock, long hair....
So when the kid up the block who played drums approached me asking if I wanted to play with an Elvis impersonator, I laughed.
"But we have a gig and it pays $50"
"What time is rehearsal?", I asked...

In the ensuing years, I not only became an Elvis fan. but it opened my eyes to a new world of music.
When Elvis went back on the road, in 1969, he got James Burton to play guitar.
Burton had gained fame playing with Ricky Nelson.....
He's the antithesis to Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck and Eric Clapton.....and it really opened my eyes to a whole new segment of music....
Maybe this is similar to folks who come here thinking they hate marquise ( for example) then see beautiful designs and change their attitude...

If you want to see something gut-wrenching.. and it really showcases how incredible this man was as a singer and musician...
I think this might be the last video of him playing. He's bloated and looks nothing like he did just a few years prior- when he'd walk onto the stage like a god..
The power and emotion in this performance can bring tears to your eyes....

When he looks up to his right & smiles that first smile, The King is still inside that beautiful face. How swoonsome..... :kiss2:

He was way before my time, but that voice & that passion!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results