shape
carat
color
clarity

diamond chip

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sarah1976

Rough_Rock
hello all! I need advice from an expert please! I have a diamond with a very thin to medium girdle and i know that i''m at higher risk for chipping the stone, but if i chip my diamond, what are the chances of the chip spreading?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
depends on the chip and where it is and if it impacts an existing inclusion etc.

i don't know if you can tell much about consequences BEFORE you get a chip. i'd just get it insured and not worry about it!

edited to add that i prefer a thin-med girdle just because it looks better, but yes there is always the chance it could take a good hard knock. if yours is v.thin, where is it v.thin? if it's just a tiny area of the girdle then chances are you will be fine.

sarah1976

Rough_Rock
it looks as if the girdle gets thinner is some spots then a little thicker in some areas, it doesnt look like the very thin area is in one small spot.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
I would take the stone to an independent appraiser to find out where and how significant the danger areas are. I would also make certain the stone is insured. That way, if something does happen, you''ll be covered. If it turns out the girdle is dangerously thin in more than one area, you might want to consider a bezel setting so that the girdle is protected. Don''t worry, though, until you get it checked out. Could be that the very thin area is only in one spot and could be covered by a prong. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results