shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond chip fell out!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sunni79

Shiny_Rock
Hi. I have a pretty 1.5ct diamond ring with 5 1pointer stones on each side. One of those stones fell out yesterday while I was running errands.
6.gif
The chip was a G VS2. About how much should a replacement cost? Should I wait until after I get it appraised to replace it? I plan on taking the ring to AGA in Philadelphia. I will probably call tomorrow and bring the stone in this week. I am really upset about this!
39.gif
Thank goodness the large stone didn''t fall out! What should I do? Thanks!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s a shame, I''m sorry to hear that. I would have it appraised first and then get the stone replaced. It won''t cost you much to replace it thank god and so happy it wasn''t your big stone. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
How old is the ring and are you near where you purchased it?

Dave may be able to help make arangements to get it fixed ask them about it when you call.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
It shouldn''t cost much to replace it at all if it''s a 1pointer. I''d definitely make an appt with AGA and have them also inspect the rest of the stones and large stone for safety and prong strength.

Unfortunately while the stone falling out is disappointing, it''s not unheard of. Just make sure to get the prongs and small stones checked every few months or so and maybe not use an ultrasonic for cleaning as that could shake pave loose over time.

Sunni79

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the advice! I purchased it in March from Diamonds By Lauren. It''s an uncerted diamond so I have to have it appraised before I take it anywhere. I will ask Dave about replacement. I had used an ultrasonic cleaner to clean the ring but not recently.
Thanks again!

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you contacted David at Diamonds by Lauren to see what kind of service they provide for situations like this.

I find this interesting as David recently seemed to make a strong statement on this forum on another thread about the quality of his settings, and how the original vendor should stand behind their product. Of course, he did also say that a person had to have the setting inspected periodically to ensure that it was in good condition. However, I would think that once a year would be adequate, and that diamonds should not fall out in less than 6 months.

Here is the thread I''m referencing:

www.pricescope.com/idealbb/view.asp?mode=viewtopic&topicID=31880&num=30&pageNo=1

Perry

karenleah15

Shiny_Rock
I am so sorry to hear that. Once you get it fixed get it inspected more often. My rings has to be checked every six months to be covered for diamonds falling out or getting chipped but I take it in once a month. I know that is a little much but hey, why not??

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Karen, Yes better safe than sorry.

WTNLVR

Brilliant_Rock
I had some stones that size replaced in a ring. They charged $10.00 per stone plus setting. It''s really cheap and the stones they put in were clean- though at that size it didn''t matter much.

igs

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi Christine,
I just want to stress to you that in the future be sure not to use any ultrasonic type cleaner as the high frequency vibration can loosen especially the small shoulder diamonds. I would recommend future cleaning by immersing the ring in a light liquid soap solution and cleaning with a fine bristle tooth brush. In a separate jar rinse the diamond off and dab dry with a paper towel. That should do the trick just fine. Since you purchased the diamond without any certs if you tell me which city you live in I can recommend an appraiser for you to take the ring. Also, the appraiser could perhaps replace the diamond for you as well. At the same time, the appraiser will check the condition of the other diamonds.

Good Luck with your ring and "keep those shoulders in there!!!"

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results