shape
carat
color
clarity

diamond appraisal

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

freddy2005

Rough_Rock
has anyone purchased a stone from an internet vendor then had it independently appraised within period of return?

if so, any problems?

i wonder how much they cost on average for .92 carat round diamond?

thanks

prc

Rough_Rock
I''m a novice, but I''d say it depends on the appraiser, the lab certification and your market possibly. We''re getting an AGA quote from a local appraiser for $35. Another appraiser charged $100 per hour and one other a $100 flat rate. Then you have to get scheduled in with that appraiser which most likely wouldn''t happen the same day. I''d say that the appraisal wouldn''t be the issue as much as returning it if you didn''t get what you thought you were buying. The seller isn''t going to want to take it back, most likely. He''s made his sale. If you look at my previous posts, you can see our ongoing saga wit an ebay seller. We''ve basically determined we''ve been scammed with a clarity-enhanced diamond with a not-so-great cut represented as a VVS/D - we even paid extra to the seller to get an "independent" appraisal stating what the buyer told us. If I were you, I''d avoid the transaction or enter into it as cautiously as possible if you''re determined.

We''re returning the ring to the seller after the return period but it is a misrepresented item so we''re disputing thru ebay. Then we have distrust so need to find an escrow agent to receive the refund from the seller before we return the ring. Stay tuned to see what additional hassles we face in the near future! I think it''s difficult at best. I''m sure there are reputable sellers but the one I encountered doesn''t seem to be one of those.

solange

Brilliant_Rock
Freddy is not talking about an Ebay purchase. I bought my ring from one of the highly regarded internet vendors here and had them send it directly to the appraiser where I was able to see the stone. If i did not like it, the vendor would have had the appraiser send it back.At this point, I had not paid for the stone. I sent the stone back to be set and i did not have to pay until it was ready to be shipped to me.

I had a choice of credit card or bank transfer. I used the bank transfer because there was a saving. I received the ring the next morning by overnight Federal Express.

I would not hesitate to buy from any of the highly regarded internet vendors here. If you have not yet purchased the stone, most vendors will send it directly to an authorized appraiser before you pay. If you have already bought the stone I am sure you will have no problem if you get it appraised and decide not to keep it. The vendors on Pricescope value their reputations and depend upon Pricescope customers with good experiences to build their business.The Ebay situation is a totally different thing.

As to cost of an appraisal, they vary and depend upon how extensive an appraisal you require. Some appraisers have very sophisticated equipment and do an in depth study. Or you may just need someone to verify that the ring you received is the same one you purchased.

In any case, I do not think it should be a problem to get exactly what you pay for and have full recourse should you decide to return the ring after appraisal.

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
Ditto what Solange said. Have it appraissed prior to purchase.

freddy2005

Rough_Rock
if u appraise before purchase, the vendor could still give u a different stone...when u take it home, how do u know if it''s the same one that was appraise for?

why not appraise or check to see if it''s the correct one after the purchase?

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
Freddy you are clearly not taking the time to educate yourself and shooting off numerous questions that are answered on this site's tutorials AND friendly pricescopers have taken much time to answer a second time for you. READ Solange's answer.

THe vender sends the stone OUT to and Appraisor then that appraissor SENDS it to you. It does not go back to the vender for a switch. Internet buying in my opinion is SAFER as you have things in writting.

That thing you described is not going to happen.

As I said on my first post. READ the tutorials here and use the search features here for a better selection.

solange

Brilliant_Rock
Actually, Whiteflash sent the stone to the appraiser so I could get an appraisal and see the stone. Then the appraiser sent it back to Whiteflash for setting.
I could have taken the stone back to the appraiser after Whtieflash sent it back to me to make certain that it was the same stone. But I really do not think any of the vendors here would switch a stone. Also, I could tell it was the same stone because I recognized the imperfections that I could see with a loupe.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2006 3:52:51 PM
Author: solange

I could have taken the stone back to the appraiser after Whtieflash sent it back to me to make certain that it was the same stone. But I really do not think any of the vendors here would switch a stone. Also, I could tell it was the same stone because I recognized the imperfections that I could see with a loupe.

Freddy:

1. you can alway take it back to the appraiser after it's set
2. a reputable vendor is not going to risk Jail time two switch out your stone
3. learn to recognize your diamond, like solange, then you will be able to identify it anytime you are in doubt.

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
I was not describing what you did Solange I was describing what freddy could do. So in your case the vender could switch the stone. hehehe...

In my case it could not be switched as I did not allow it to go back.

PSSST-Don't give this guy anymore reason to panic.

Well Freddy u best get a stone with some inclusions then so you can recognise it as a VS1 is hard for the experts to id! Otherwise insure it has an engraved gia # or a gemprint.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results