shape
carat
color
clarity

diamond and settings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AnnaFeather

Rough_Rock
Greetings and Salutations....
emnote.gif

I have two rings, with no sentimental value, that I would like to ask about.

The first is a sterling silver ring with a ''fake'' middle diamond.
emsmileo.gif
However, the side much smaller settings (four in total) beeped when tested for diamonds. They are blue...could they be blue diamonds? Would taking them out of the setting have more value?

The second is an item some what already discussed back in ''04. I have an antique 18k white gold (light weight) ring. The center has most likely been ''redone'' due to the slight yellow colouring. The diamond is odd sized (I don''t know anything about this, all I can say is small) and a miner''s cut. I know this because a gem expert said it is a miner''s cut from the late 1800''s. To show how limited my knowledge is, I was saying how the diamond had a flat bottom instead of the long tip thus it wasn''t important.
emembarrassed.gif
Anyways, again, since the ring might have a new middle would the diamond be more valuable if it were removed from its setting?

Warm Regards,
AnnaFeather

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
honestly, not sure either are really worth much. You might try taking them to a pawn shop and see what they''ll give yor for them. silver along with other metals are high right now so you might not do too badly.

AnnaFeather

Rough_Rock
Thanks for responding...

That gem expert did mention a monetary amount that wasn''t too shabby for the second ring I talked about.

However, I''m still curious about the diamonds and their settings.

AnnaFeather

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
you''d really have to take them to an appraiser to find out exactly what they are worth. You may end up spending more for the appraisal than they are valued at though.

AnnaFeather

Rough_Rock
OK, I''ve HAD an appraisal done...again....What I am asking is if someone knows about the value of LOOSE diamonds vs them in the setting....

So if someone knows about that I would greatly appreciate a response.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With an antique ring, it would depend on the individual ring. I certainly would not remove an OMC from it''s setting. That kind of stone looks best, in my opinion, in an antique setting, and it might be worth more to someone to have it in it''s original setting IF the setting is in good condition and a decent style. You might get more informed opinions if you posted pictures. Otherwise, we are just giving very general opinions. I would try selling it at antique shops that have nice jewelry or jewelry stores that specialize in antique jewelry.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/24/2008 8:08:39 PM
Author: AnnaFeather
OK, I''ve HAD an appraisal done...again....What I am asking is if someone knows about the value of LOOSE diamonds vs them in the setting....

So if someone knows about that I would greatly appreciate a response.

your appraisal should say what the specs of the stone itself are, even it they looked at it while mounted they will have a general idea. you can then compare that to other loose stones on the market. I do agree with DS though that many times with antique rings, they are worth more as a ring rather than 2 seperate pieces. how much did your appraisal say the ring was valued at?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results