shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Analysis-bang for buck in selected setting

diamondsarehard

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I am fairly new to this but wanted to get some thoughts on round diamonds in the following platinum setting. I would like to get over 1ct in size:

http://64.87.7.126/ARTCARVED_31-V421ERW-E_420X420_WHITE.jpg

My budget is roughly $8,500 MAX for the diamond. I would like to go through a local jeweler, but need help on ensuring I pick a suitable diamond. If it is better to get the diamond online and have them set it, I will approach them with that option. Using a search on their website (that links to some online database), I found the following options. I don't believe any of them are that great, but I would appreciate some brief comments on their quality....and other suggestions as seen fit.

OPTION 1 6.12x6.10x3.86mm
Cut: Excellent
Carat: 0.91
Color: E
Clarity: VS1
Depth:
Table:
Crown Angle: Unknown
Crown Height: 15%
Pavillion Angle: Unknown
Pavillion Depth: 44%
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: Slight Blue
HCA: 5.60
Lab #: EGLUSA
Price: $8,495

OPTION 2 6.70x6.77x4.12mm
Carat: 1.12
Color: F
Clarity: VS2
Depth: 61.1
Table: 57
Crown Angle: 33
Crown Height: 14
Pavillion Angle: 41
Pavillion Depth: 43.5%
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Fluorescence: None
HCA: 0.80
Lab #: GIA 3165799032
Price: $8,872

OPTION 3 6.49x6.47x3.98x mm
Carat: 1
Depth: 61.5
Table: 54
Crown Angle: 33
Crown Height: 15
Pavillion Depth: 43%
HCA: 0.80
Lab #: GIA 2166657566
Price: $9,046

OPTION 4 6.42x6.45x3.97 mm
Carat: 1
Color: G
Depth: 61.7
Table: 56
Crown Angle: 34.5
Fluorescence: Faint
HCA: 1.80
Lab #: GIA 6157987665
Price: $7,033

OPTION 5 6.85x6.89x4.29mm
Carat: 1.26
Color: H
Depth: 62.5
Table: 57
Crown Angle: 36
Crown Height: 15.5
Pavillion Angle: 40.6
HCA: 1.90
Lab #: GIA 2155899173
Price: $8,532

OPTION 6: 6.35x6.41x3.93mm
Carat: 1.01
Clarity: VS1
Depth: 61.7
Table: 59
Crown Angle: 36
Pavillion Angle: 40.6
Pavillion Depth: 42.5
HCA: 2.2
Lab #: GIA 6165747511 
Price: $7,786

Thanks for any help that you can provide!!! Let me know of better options if you have suggestions. I thought a VS1 with color above G would be good.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well throw out that first one w the HCA of 5.6! Get idealscope images for the rest if possible.

Talk to your jeweler about them setting an outside stone - they may charge for it. And ask if they insure the stone during the setting process.

ETA: No need to go so high in clarity unless it's a mind clean thing for you. VS2 / SI1 is a great place to be as long as the inclusions are hidden and don't pose a durability risk.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Number 4 comes closest to the numbers I usually personally look for, which aim for the ideal cut range. It is also triple excellent, which is nice.

Here is the range I usually try to stay in when there is limited information.

table: 54-58

depth: 60-62.3 (if you go deeper, the diameter may be small for the weight)

crown angle: 34-35

pavilion angle: 40.6-41.0

But with any of these, it would be helpful to see magnified images of the stone, and an idealscope image would tell us if there is leakage. It's really impossible to choose the best stone out of these by the numbers.

But stick to GIA or AGS grading only. EGL is not reliable and you do not want to overpay for what you're getting. I would generally not limit myself such a small selection of stones when there are many others out there that might be better.

Here's an AGS ideal cut 1 ct G VS2 for comparison:

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3045735.htm

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock
Just a general remark: in order to maximize bling, you should always stick to your lowest acceptable parameters in color and clarity (for most, this means H VS2-SI1). For example, this is a great choice well within your budget: http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.11-carat-h-color-vs2-clarity-sku-356444

And if you go to SI1, you can go even slightly bigger with no reduction in eye-visible clarity:
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.22-carat-h-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-298688

I think you have some decent options with your jeweler, but the proportions of those diamonds, while very decent, are not absolute home runs. As DS says, you should try to get idealscope images if you want solid input from PS. Otherwise, we have very little to create a more informed opinion of those options. #4 is the safest bet.

If you want the best diamond out of just those options you listed, buy with your eyes... look at the diamonds in different lighting situations and see which one draws you the most.

diamondsarehard

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the help thus far. I will continue lurking on the forums to learn more, but this specific advice will help me in discussions with the jeweler next week on what I want.

I also have considered cushion diamonds, but there does not seem to be "gradings" like their is for the round. I assume those are even more subjective to determine the quality? Is it worth considering them? She doesn't have a preference, and it seems like you get more "sparkle" from the rounds and are safer if you don't quite know all their is about diamonds.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondsarehard|1406474492|3721484 said:
Thanks for the help thus far. I will continue lurking on the forums to learn more, but this specific advice will help me in discussions with the jeweler next week on what I want.

I also have considered cushion diamonds, but there does not seem to be "gradings" like their is for the round. I assume those are even more subjective to determine the quality? Is it worth considering them? She doesn't have a preference, and it seems like you get more "sparkle" from the rounds and are safer if you don't quite know all their is about diamonds.

No there isn't really an industry standard for grading cushion cuts as there is for round. Rounds are "safe". Traditional, and compared to other shapes, easier to buy a good one.

If I were you I'd go look at Good Old Gold's website, as they have tons of different kinds of stones, including but not limited to antique style ideal cut rounds and cushions (August Vintage Rounds and cushions), Signature Ideal Cushions, Brellia square Hearts and Arrows, etc. They also have a youtube channel, so going there and watching the stones in motion is always good too. There are so many different shapes and cut styles available - you may find something unique that isn't (or maybe is) a round.

diamondsarehard

Rough_Rock
The jeweler is getting some of the diamonds in for my review and I had another one to ask if I should have him bring in. Please let me know thoughts based on specs alone compared to others.

Carat: 1.14
Size: 6.73x6.75x4.11
Color: G
Clarity: SI1
Cut: Ex
Polish: VG
Symmetry: VG
Depth: 60.9
Table: 59
Crown angle: 34
Pavilion angle: 41
Fluorescence: Strong blue
HCA: 1.8

The fluor is strong on this one and seems interesting. Thoughts?

Thanks.

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock
In theory, the angles work. Can't say anymore than that.

How much is it?

Also, we don't know if it's eye clean.

diamondsarehard

Rough_Rock
Around $6,800 depending who you ask. This seems low for this carot, color, and clarity. Does the Strong blue fluorescence discount the price or should I be skeptical for other reasons?

SirGuy

Shiny_Rock
Its table is a bit big, which could affect the dispersion compared to white light return. Should be bright!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results