shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Advice: Deals that are too good to be true

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rookie999

Rough_Rock
Hi!

I am definitely a beginner at diamonds. I''ve spent the last month learning about diamonds but none have helped me as much as PRICESCOPE. It''s awesome!!!! Thanks! The tutorial and the forums have been a huge help.

I''m still in the learning process with so many details about diamonds. It''s overwhelming but really fascinating, and I''m enjoying all that PriceScope has taught me so far!
1.gif

My issue, is that I have found this site that "appears" to have great deals, but is extremely suspicious to me, for firstly their lack of detail about their diamonds, and also the low price (which is common as all of you know). I am wondering if you could help me with what the obvious catches are with these. Now that I''ve seen how much quality diamonds cost from such online shops that i''ve learned about through this website like WF and DirtCheap and GoodOldGold, I was wondering if I could get some advice on how other sites are not being "open" about the quality of their diamonds, and what obvious issues arise.

The most apparent suspicious sale I found was http://www.reflectingconcepts.com/product30-3princess3530.asp where you can get a 3 Diamond Princess white gold ring totalling 0.95Ct SI2 G-H for $999. However after looking at WF and DirtCheap, there is just no way a deal could be that good. Can you help me with the catch? Obviously since it is 3 diamonds, each diamond is smaller and therefore cheaper than the "0.95Ct" sound to it. Other obvious suspicions arise at the lack of any kind of detail about the shape, flourescent, cut, and EVERYTHING else! With an SI2 and H colour, it is misleading into sounding half decent.

Thanks! I really appreciate all that you in the forums have already taught me, and I hope to learn more!

Dustin :)

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Let''s see here...
Not certified. - Which means they are probably more like I1 and J color, and did you check out the ones they do have certified? The phrase frozen spit comes to mind.

No picture of the ring - In no way is the pic related to the ring being sold other than having three princess diamonds in it. For one thing the diamonds are way too big for it to be the ring in question.

Doesn''t even mention the metal used to make the ring. For all you know it''s 10kt gold.. if you''re lucky.

I fail to see why they even bothered to put info on "understanding the 4cs'' with an emphasis on cut when they don''t even tell you about the polish and symmetry let alone the cut! For G''s sake, they don''t even give the frigging dimensions! Not just this diamond, on any of their diamonds!

"Certified natural Diamonds, at a massive 50% discount!" - 50% off what? Only a small precentage of their diamonds are certified, does that mean the others aren''t natural? And just the fact that the site finds it necessary to say that gives me the creeps. Do any of the PS vendors make an issue that their diamonds are natural? I don''t think so.

Horribly misleading imagery. On the diamond home page, the pic for the diamond solitare rings is of a tiffany-esque ring on a tiffany colored box. That alone qualifies them as skanky!
Also on the diamond page is a thing about heart & arrows diamonds, yet it doesn''t link to any! If there are ideal diamonds on the site, I haven''t found them.

And have you seen the few real pics of their rings?

32.gif

Well, it''s certainly an amusing site Rookie999, good for a laugh... as soon as I stop clenching my teeth.
29.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
  • This 0.95 Carat 3 princess diamond engagement ring has it all, excellent brilliance with the white & clean princess diamonds! Carrying a total diamond weight of 0.95 carat. The diamonds on this ring carry a clarity of SI2 (clean) and color G-H (white). The center stone is 0.60 carat and side stones 0.35 carat each.

That is a direct quote from your link...the only thing is a .60 plus two .35 side stones would not be .95 tcw it would be 1.30tcw...I am sorry but how could they have missed that? Is that really the sort of company you to work with? They are either liars or fools, neither of which is very appealing.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Easy catch!
5.gif

There surely are quarter carat princess diamonds with GIA lab reports online... well, 'guess that is a bit OTT - the cost of the report is a good chunk of the total. But then, these guys are online too - and the presentation they make doesn't inspire allot of trust for the reasons the previous two posters on this thread point out.

Could it be that three princess cuts add up to $999 and 95 pts in good shape? Well, why not - say, ~quarter carat sides and ~40pts center, H-I/SI1. No lab reports - those would be a couple hundred more. Setting on top of that though.

The scary part is that the respective seller can't be working for charity. And I'd guess quality is the first to go, especially when the bargain status is expected to be more appealing than the product itself.

I wouldn't be unhappy about a 1k ring. About that 'deal' in particular... guess so.
7.gif

The only way the product could look like the picture for the money is to have a CZ ring - that one looks like 5 cts total any day, not .95, not 1.3... or whatever!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rookie - welcome to PS and I hope we have answered your questions.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Oh for heavens sake! Those are industrial grade diamonds...at best. Why do they even cut diamond which are that included?
I can only imagine the girl who is asked with that (not as a joke) face...
39.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would like some more cut quality info on these diamonds. What is meant by flat?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/3/2006 4:43:49 AM
Author: Lorelei

They CANNOT be serious!

Anyway, those are not exactly 'disposable' either for 3-4k !

Allright, if they have customers are both parties are alive and well, it is a free country right? I don't get it, but something is telling me that whoever buys those would not understand us either, right ?
28.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1.gif
They do have pics of the actual diamonds which is a help.

Honeyfly

Rough_Rock
OMG they are the worst diamonds I have ever seen!!!

Rookie - please delete their web link from your computer immediately!!
emdgust.gif

Welcome, and good luck on your diamond search!
emsmile.gif

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
did you see the cut search on the advanced search page here

you can search cut grade of excellent, very good, good, fair, HEAVY or FLAT. LMAO!! Flat??????!!! picturing a wafer thin diamond chip mounted in a 9kt yellow gold solitaire.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Rookie, I now officially have engagement ring nightmares!
32.gif
Last night I dreamt that my beloved proudly presented me with one of those ... things.
23.gif

25.gif
2.gif

11.gif

klavigne

Shiny_Rock
Call them and ask them for a copy of the cert. Also ask them to give you all the pav and crown angles and percentages. After they ask you what all that means, hang up the phone, laugh to yourself and start your search over again;-)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Drill bits anyone?
41.gif
They CANNOT be serious!
40.gif
my brit GF
35.gif
i dare you to wear that 3ct. ring
31.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
3 carats is my favourite size!

rookie999

Rough_Rock
Thanks a lot everybody! It is exactly as I expected. HORRIBLE. WORSE than horrible. A joke! Haha, I''m almost tempted to get it to just see how awful it is! (But I won''t, don''t worry)
1.gif
You''ve taught me better than that!

I saw the math error too, but hadn''t mentioned it yet. 0.6 + 0.35 +0.35 = 0.9 to them. SCARY.

You know what though? I would''ve fully fell for it if I hadn''t done my homework, and if PriceScope didn''t exist. An average Joe would fall for it, and it''s sad. Thanks for informing me! I knew it was too good to be true, but couldn''t define what it was, until i came across the forum and tutorial at PriceScope.

I''ll be looking for the best for my girl now!
1.gif
1.gif
1.gif
1.gif
1.gif
Thanks a million.

dustin

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/3/2006 4:00:33 PM
Author: rookie999

You know what though? I would''ve fully fell for it if I hadn''t done my homework, and if PriceScope didn''t exist. An average Joe would fall for it, and it''s sad. Thanks for informing me! I knew it was too good to be true, but couldn''t define what it was, until i came across the forum and tutorial at PriceScope.

You''re really not helping my nightmares, you know.
2.gif
9.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/3/2006 3:25:11 PM

Date: 4/3/2006 2:42:51 PM
Author: Dancing Fire

Drill bits anyone?
41.gif
They CANNOT be serious!
40.gif
my brit GF
35.gif
i dare you to wear that 3ct. ring
31.gif
Does that mean you will pay for it my American BF?
41.gif
I have a better idea - I will wear that 3+ carat honker you have, that would look nice on me it would!
36.gif
3.gif
6.gif
$1600 bucks for a drill bit? LOL... no way!!!
38.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/3/2006 2:42:51 PM
Author: Dancing Fire

Drill bits anyone? They CANNOT be serious!
my brit GF i dare you to wear that 3ct. ring

You are kidding, right? That must amount to capital punishment around here.
40.gif
maybe in the dark? Alone!
Permanent interdiction of wearing diamonds is a significantly milder sentence.

Does anyone remember what ''diamond pearls'' are? Sort of related. At least the makers of those got a reasonably good idea how to make such material into presentable things. Although the material used is supposed to have nice color, which that thing does not. And I am not sure I understand what those were about 100%. Not to mention the prices are allot less too.

reflecting

Rough_Rock
Dustin,
Thanks for the critisism, we really appreciate it. Am travelling right now, and will get back to this thread over the weekend. Our site is new, and we''re still in the process of listing items up, it isn''t complete yet. There are mistakes that need to be corrected, and items that need to be inserted, we''ve currently launched ONLY a trial run, that''s all. Do watch this space for more.
21.gif

Regards,

Nick

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
Drill bits anyone?
41.gif
They CANNOT be serious!
40.gif

Yeah! Ugly drill bit at that!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results