shape
carat
color
clarity

DiamCalc Program --anyone used it? on EC''s?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Hi

I see that it''s for sale through pricescope but i never hear anyone talk about it.......................

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I use it all the time.
For an EC you need a full 3d scan file from a sarin or far better from a helium scanner.
There are too many angles and too many variables for it to be useful on them without it.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
I''ve used it a bit, even documented here (and you may find it a useful thread). Also, apparently it''s recently been upgraded, too.

Actually, if you''re a travel buff, you can search on DC and learn not only about many references to this, but my neighboring city of Washington.

I''ve found it does come up sporadically, frequently sourced in requests from shoppers.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just ask... I am equally crazy about step cut diamonds and this darn piece of time-eating, eye-crossing software
15.gif

Actually, you can try for yourself if you wish, because the sample version of the GemCalc (LINK) comes with a default EC model.
Some things are not there in the sample version, but it works nicely. Despite the name of the program, it works on diamond models as well.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
well i would love to see the results for my stone just out of curiosity and a learning experience but i you need some sort of picture?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/25/2005 10:35:06 AM
Author: windowshopper
well i would love to see the results for my stone just out of curiosity and a learning experience but i you need some sort of picture?
I could use Sarin (or as many numbers as you''ve got) and, ideally nicely aligned top down and side view pictures. Otherwise, any picture you have would help with more or less hard work required to ''read'' them. Other details like single light source and contrast help, but really, if the resolution of the picture is not great, there isn''t much left to do. I just need to see where facets meet and how they reflect each other.
34.gif

I can''t pretend I know to handle DC very well, but I would love to give it a try on this thread anyway. Also, the program has some limitations - I can''t vary all the proportions to fir real-life diamonds exactly. It generates perfectly symmetrical models that fit reality more or less precisely case by case.

Feel free to e-mail all and any stats and picture you have.
38.gif
(see PM). It would take me an afternoon to try things out
9.gif
And time is really why you don''t see DC models in each of my posts - I love this program, but it takes some sweat to controll what exactly it yields.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ll try to add detail to a DC models as it comes.

Here''s what I have for now... The existing pictures allow a few more ''educated guesses'' about the crown steps, but I kept those off the picture (literally) for now.

The stats (table, depth, girdle thickness and crown height) give some idea, but none about where and how those steps are arranged. Also, I do not know a number for the corner breaks (=how deep are the corners cut). A face up picture would help with this, even if the precise % has not been measured. This is about as much precission as visible, after all.

This may sound ''schetchy'' but it is not: the simple frame limits any future variations and tweaks of light path the ''steps'' may introduce. On the side, this amount of detail is what goes in the AGA tables.

FirstGuess.JPG

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Data from an OGI report have been added.

From OGI details in the Appraisal:
Size: 10.19 by 7.57 (l/w 1.35)
total depth=61.8 4.68 mm
crown angle=47.4 (45.2-49.5)
crown height=17.9 (17.9-17.9)
pavilion angle=48.6 (48.8-48.5)
pavilion depth=42 (42.2-41.8)
table size 58.4 (58.4-68.5) 4.42mm
girdle thickness 1.9% (1.7 to 2.1)

OGI estimated weight: 3.251 cts

SecondGuessx.JPG

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The OGI report does not allow to complete the model - allot was left to guess from the pictures of the ring posted here.
Finer tuning based on pictures alone should be feasible: hence the name of the picture 'Second Guess'
2.gif

Here's what the pictures generated over the wireframe posted above look like:

SecondGuess_Images.JPG

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
wow--that really does look like the stone..........

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
That is amazing.
23.gif

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
very cool, Ana
10.gif
It looks even more real, guys, if you watch it in motion with GemAdviser.

Ana, can you please export and upload GA file for this model?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/27/2005 10:33:20 AM
Author: Pricescope

Ana, can you please export and upload GA file for this model?
Done.

I am not sure the lighting map is kept through the file conversion, so the images may look different than the pictures posted above.

Attachments

• GASecondGuess.gem
    1.4 KB · Views: 53

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
ceiling , floor + 2 primary light
Well done light scheme, Ana
Why is it without walls? :)

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/27/2005 10:33:20 AM
Author: Pricescope
very cool, Ana
10.gif
It looks even more real, guys, if you watch it in motion with GemAdviser.
With Gem Advisor, the tool for motion is the second from the right, right? Fast spinning? And only in ASET view?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/27/2005 12:35:09 PM
Author: Serg
ceiling , floor + 2 primary light
Well done light scheme, Ana
Why is it without walls? :)

You got me lost asap
2.gif

Walls?
38.gif
Couldn''t find the word anywhere near DC refferences. What is that?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/27/2005 1:03:00 PM
Author: Regular Guy

With Gem Advisor, the tool for motion is the second from the right, right? Fast spinning? And only in ASET view?

No... it works in any view. Try the 'Record' button and the one under it ('movement schemes' or so) on the left hand vertical menu. Those should lead to different movement options.

Now that you mentioned, it seems that it works pretty well to convert these diamond moves as an AVI file, but I cannot link it here and don't know how to turn it into GIF with whatever software I've got. I don't think anyone called me 'geek' before, but this is definitely geek-ish behavior if I ever knew what that is. Yiks!
9.gif

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Ana,

I''m looking at Gemadvisor now, now Diamond Calc, so unless I''ve self limited my view, I think I only have the picture, with a menu across the top, and not items on the left. But, I see where I was only working the controls, and I can put the cursor on the diamond, and it behaves as a 3 dimensional object, so I can spin it, and that is cool. Are you looking at it in DC or gemadvisor. Still, this is cool!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is it... the GemAdviser window playing things.

GAdc.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results