shape
carat
color
clarity

DiamCalc anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kevinraja

Shiny_Rock
Can anyone plug in the following numbers in DIAMCALC and report what it says about this stone? Thanks.

Shape: Emerald
Carat: 1.71
Color: G
Clarity: SI1
Depth: 63.3
Table: 61
Crown height:10.7%
Crown Angle: 30.9 degrees
Pavilion Depth: 51%
Pavilion Angle: 56 degrees
Girdle: M-STK
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Good
Culet: Small
Fluorescence: Faint
Measurements: 8.35-6.11X3.87
Length/Width: 1.37

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kevin, the image you linked from NiceIce is a Gem Adviser simulation based on detailed measurements (not just those reported, Sarin or Ogi give more), it can be exactly reproduced using the Gem Adviser.

So if you wanted a Gem Adviser model, you've already got it
2.gif

gia12988153simulated_firescope.jpg

kevinraja

Shiny_Rock
Ana,
what do you mean by "it can be exactly reproduced by gem advisor". Do you mean that I can plug in the numbers myself on to gem advisor to see what it looks like? If so, how do I do it. I already have downloaded gem advisor on to my computer. I don''t know how to plug in the numbers though.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/7/2005 114:33 PM
Author: kevinraja
Ana,
what do you mean by 'it can be exactly reproduced by gem advisor'. Do you mean that I can plug in the numbers myself on to gem advisor to see what it looks like? If so, how do I do it. I already have downloaded gem advisor on to my computer. I don't know how to plug in the numbers though.
You can do that with the commercial version of the Gem Adviser ($300 or so). What you downloaded is just a reader only version.

There's another piece of software that just so happens to come with an EC model in the trial version
31.gif
. It's a version of the GA for different gem materials (including diamond) called "GemCalc".

You can download that here: LINK

The model makes some simplifying assumptions compared to the rendering put up by NiceIce, but with some tweaking (there are 22 parameters for EC, Sarin gives 11) you may end up with something like this (next post):

kevinraja

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Ana

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
This is the wrong way to work - you need to get the vendor to send the stone to someone with the latest Sarin or OctoNus Helium scanner and produce a 3D model which can be imported into Diamcalc and THEN made into a Gem adviser file for easy viewing and testing.

Fancy cuts have far too many variables for a modeled version like this to be useful.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Second Garry's post, of course. I hope the picture below shows why... there's too much guess work left from sarin averages 'couple (needed) simplifying assumptions too many in the model itself.

GC is not advertised as "shopping tool" by the maker.

(PS: could not add the comments for half an hour. my computer wouldn't work - hence the reviews...)

GCk.JPG

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
This is why it can not work - here are 3 crown and 3 pavilion angles - no keel length and some corner size details. We have too little data. No Sarin or Ogi scan can solve this problem - you need 3D files.

complexxxity.jpg

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Can you help me with some fundamentals...

Despite the fact that the direction Dave Atlas'' work seems to try to address the sorts of concerns this approach to understanding diamond performance raises in me...seeing this approach makes me recall the quote I recently applied from our US President...

"You teach a child to read, and he, or her will be able to pass a literacy test..."

I guess that, since the idea of constructing a model with data about a diamond seems somehow to be a backassward strategy for understanding light performance...

in the positive sense...what are the fundamentals...where does this approach try to lead understanding?

If you were trying to construct an HCA system, I could see it, but even then, that strategy should be based on having some sort of apriori appreciation for the light performance, to which you would then assign a positive aspect to the particulars of the form.

So, forgetting all of the above...if I just said...I don''t get how this is designed to apply...I''d be interesting in hearing how it does!

With many thanks,

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t think AGA is presented as a tool to guess how diamonds look... but sometimes it may be used this way just because there is not much better to do with a copy of lab report and no diamond in sight
7.gif

kevinraja

Shiny_Rock
Here is what I got by plugging in the the diamond numbers posted above.

zispe.jpg

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
so some help here-------------is this supposed to be a formula that approxiamtes how the idealscope would come out?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/8/2005 9:328 AM
Author: kevinraja
Here is what I got by plugging in the the diamond numbers posted above.
Disclaimer: Yes, I agree with Garry, this is no way to tell exactly what a certain real-life EC looks like. The GA does nt allow to vary facet angles around the stone, or the keel, or the cut of the corners... many things that improve on a schetchy model like that.

Kevin... it doesn't seem like the numbers match (see pavilion ?) You do need to adjust the other options (under the Advanced1 & 2 menus) to get on target - those are not given by Sarin, only somewhat restricted by the available parameters
34.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results