shape
carat
color
clarity

Determining True Value of Diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

GX2002

Rough_Rock

Found this link on the web today. It’s a model that helps you decide which diamond to buy, and weather you are paying too much. It takes into consideration all the various C’s. Very cool, and seems very accurate.

http://www.andersonanalytics.com/diamond.htm

-GX2002

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I ran some diamonds threw it from the PS search and the worst cuts won.
So if someone wants a badly cut diamond at a low price follow the advice.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/10/2006 6:37:28 PM
Author: denverappraiser
Gosh. I think stone B looks pretty promising.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver
Wow, so two identical stones, one from GIA the other from AGS and the AGS is WAY cheaper than the GIA and the GIA is underpriced and a better stone than the AGS.

Obviously someone has NOT been doing their homework. Back to the drawing boards boys, you have a LOT of work to do...

Wink

Garysax

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/10/2006 6:37:28 PM
Author: denverappraiser
Gosh. I think stone B looks pretty promising.

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ISA NAJA

Brilliant.

Research

Rough_Rock

We are excited to see that there has been so much interest in the model on our site.

As it states on the model page, this is a Beta version, still we are rather happy with it as it has a very high ‘goodness of fit’ (R-Square, and F values etc.), and is much more accurate than other ‘models’ we have seen being used. Unlike Rapaport for instance which we understand is a frequently sighted tool in Diamond pricing, our model takes into account more than just the 3 variables Carrat, Clarity, Color. This is what makes our model more robust.

As many of those posting seem to be ‘diamond experts’, if anyone has a better model they would like to share we would be happy to evaluate it comparatively. We are doing this as an interesting side project to show how statistics and modeling can be applied to different types of problems. We feel this tool could be very useful especially for those who are not professional buyers/sellers and are not familiar with how the various diamond attributes/variables relate to each other. We do not have a vested interest in the diamond market, but rather are in the research/statistics business. As such we have nothing to gain or hide and would be happy to incorporate your feedback into future models.

While we are very happy with the current model, which is actually a combination of several pricing formulas at different levels in the carat curve, thus correcting for any exponential relationships between carat weight and price, various variables become more or less important in relation to price. i.e. the same weights or variables are not needed to predict a .3 carat diamond as a 5.9 carat diamond. And while generally speaking the first model explained about 90% of the variance in price, some carat sizes are being predicted with much higher accuracy than that, and of course, some a bit lower. However the true value here is in helping someone understand the differences between various variables, as you have obviously done a very good job exploring.

-AA

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have just ran two checks through your model, trying to figure out, at which point B was going to become better than A.

It shows that the system is totally biased towards GIA being more valuable than any other grading report.

I do not understand what your definition is for the term ''value'', but it is clear that it does not correlate with what the PS-community considers valuable.

Live long,

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2006 3:11:18 PM
Author: Paul-Antwerp

I have just ran two checks through your model, trying to figure out, at which point B was going to become better than A.
Here's one way, Paul. It seems to dislike fluorescence more than it dislikes the AGS.
Aside from this, you're right. It seems to be a lab-biased metric.

AddFluoroToNeil.jpg

Research

Rough_Rock
Neil Beaty - GG(GIA) ISA NAJA – (Professional Appraisals in Denver) as well as Paul from Antwerp pointed out that the only difference between the two stones he compared was the certificate (AGS VS GIA). Among the >40,000 diamonds we evaluated in constructing the model about 75% were GIA, 17% were EGL, 6% did not have certificate info, and only 2% were AGS. Therefore AGS was not showing up as an important variable, nor in most cases were EGL or None. Therefore, currently the tool is evaluating the certificate info as GIA=1, Other/EGL/AGS/None=0. This is the only variable we coded this way (as a binary variable), the others are basically scales.

However, we found Neil’s point interesting and looked into the original data we analyzed. In the 1.00 carat range the diamonds ad the following mean values for price: GIA $5806, EGL $3878, AGS $7318. While the means I just listed obviously does not take into account the other variables, it does indicate that we should revisit how the certificate variable influences price. Even though AGS does not represent a significant amount of the sample, the means do indicate that it may have an upward effect on price rather than downward.

However, it is also important to realize that the 44,000+ diamonds/prices we analyzed were predominantly US internet retail prices (though from a wide range of vendors). And, as price scope has pointed out 1.0 carat diamond are the mode, and most customers feel comfortable purchasing only GIA, therefore considering all these facts, while it may be possible to increase prediction power slightly by including AGS as a variable, this is not necessarily the case, it is something we will have to look into. Modeling is an iterative process, and while we believe this model can be a useful tool in over 90% of cases, no model is 100% accurate. The ‘certificate’ drop down choice of the model on our site has been updated to better reflect our assumptions. Thanks Neil.

-AA

Research

Rough_Rock
If you refresh your screen the tool will now give only the two choices mentioned above for cetrificate (as depicted in attached file).

-AA

AAcertificateUpdate.JPG

Garysax

Shiny_Rock
Huh. What is the functional form for price/carat against carat size? Must be a very odd exponential stepped function.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
How do you guys insert the pic of that site? I cannot get this to work.

Anyway, could someone please enter a 1.01 F-VS2, AGS-0, with 60.5 depth and 56 table, medium girdle for 7000$, compared to a 1.01 F-VS2, GIA EX-EX with 64.7 depth and 56 table, very thick girdle, same price.

Surprise, the second one is better value.

The problem is: if you want to build a model, it is wise to first understand the real world.

Live long,

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Even that GIA-stone with Extreme fluorescence (never known that this existed) is considered better than the AGS.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
And even if you add an ''extremely large'' culet on this extremely fluorescent F, it is still the best.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If laboratories actually graded color and clarity in exactly like ways, there might be a chance to condense decision making into a small package. It appears to be to be a far larger issue. We need to think of a meaningful metric for grading beauty (light performance) combined with durability, spread, and finish consdierations.

The value of a diamond is mostly derived from data, the four c''s and several more characteristics, BUT the looks of the diamond are paramount and the individual taste of the end-user is a huge variable, too.

I think one cannot assess value by fill in the blanks forms, but as a screening tool, I have endorsed such principles for many years.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It would seem that with so much data on the net (including qualitative), such pricing guru could be made... one rainy day.

Oh we... maybe not this one.

The one thing that made Pricescope ''love at first sight'' is that this database actually allows side by side quotes from multiple sellers (not to mention side by side quotes from multiple sellers for the same stone). Prices from a single source would never have such candid appearance
34.gif

However, I still can''t say a true electronic pricing engine cannot be made. Because I have made one too many for weirder data than this (MIS).

That 2c again.

Research

Rough_Rock

David,

We understand from professionals we have spoken too that the average consumer normally can not tell a glass diamond from a real one, never mind a really good one from a bad one. Obviously no model can take the place of the trained eyes of a professional looking at a diamond through a loop or under a projecting microscope. Instead effort is intended to give the average consumer another tool in order to feel more comfortable making a purchase which for most is the only diamond purchase they will make in their life, and which represents a considerable financial investment. Obviously if a collector is purchasing a classic Rolls-Royce or Ferrari, www.Edmunds.com or www.KellyBlueBook.com is of limited (though some) value. For the average car purchase though, it gives those of us who are savvy enough to locate the information on the internet, some additional knowledge. This is the intent behind this effort, a screening tool as you say, and your input is appreciated.

-AA

Research

Rough_Rock
Thanks Ana,

What is your experience/background?

-AA

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/13/2006 4:58:42 PM
Author: Research

Thanks Ana,

What is your experience/background?

-AA

Just look at that number of posts
2.gif
I am a PRICESCOPER above all!
31.gif
Oh well (half-joke)...

Well, someone who sometimes designs MIS for a living among other things. Definitely nothing to do with jewelry other than this forum.

I suspect you would need someone with a light hand at nonparametric inference for such a nifty job. And the frustrating part is that... I'd bet Rapaport has it allot easier (and less formalistic) that the above. Don't they just draw a line ?

I would love to daydream on this. But it can't be me....
7.gif
The telegraph poles would laugh out loud at my (lack of) experience with diamonds.

Sorry for the ramble... it is way late...

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
te:[/b] 2/13/2006 4:55:15 PM

David,

We understand from professionals we have spoken too that the average consumer normally can not tell a glass diamond from a real one, never mind a really good one from a bad one.

[/quote]

have you actualy went out and looked at diamonds??
Find a local hearts on fire or eightstar dealer or an AGS jeweler with AGS0 diamonds and go out and look at diamonds for yourself.
There is sure enough a visible difference.
Or better yet buy a super-ideal diamond from a PS vendor and go out and compare it in the real world.

Research

Rough_Rock
Ana,

Yes you are correct. It is a simple line.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Researcher,

I understand the gestalt of your project but I think you are hoping for a much more direct, and much more static relationship between a few attributes than really exists. Saying that it’s more useful than Rapaport is debatable and, in any case, isn’t much of a compliment. It’s also better than rolling dice to decide a value. You’ve ignored the whole cut grading issue entirely. You’ll see a modifier of at least 50% based on that attribute alone. You also ignore market conditions entirely. Stores that offer better service, better trade in programs, better warranties and better payment terms and the like can charge more. They can charge more because it’s worth more in that environment and with those added attributes. We’re talking upwards of 50%. Country of origin can be an extra 15% or more. Some people actually LIKE fluorescence but even ignoring that, it’s not a straight modifier. On lower colors it’s usually counted as desirable and on higher colors it’s counted as detrimental. As has been noted above, certain lab opinions actually sell at a premium over GIA.

If this is intended to be a tool for shoppers to decide if they are getting an appropriate deal, you are offering a disservice for at least 95% of the shoppers because they value these other attributes. That’s why they shop where they shop. This gets it well beyond your example of being useless for people wishing to buy a Ferrari and is closer to being only useful only for people wishing to know the value for scrap cars when purchased by the pound.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

dhog

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/13/2006 4:55:15 PM

David,

We understand from professionals we have spoken too that the average consumer normally can not tell a glass diamond from a real one, never mind a really good one from a bad one.

-AA

I think you must be getting your information from GIA
we may not know how to tell glass from diamonds but I
do know how to tell good software from bad and to me yours
ranks right below facetware when it come to something that
is useful to the consumer.

To say that consumers are not very bright
seems a little far out in left field and to say
my eyes can''t tell the difference is absurd.
2.gif

Research

Rough_Rock

Dhog, no offense to consumers intended. I’m sure there are many out there who have received compliments on their ‘diamond earings’ which were fake who understand what I meant. Under many types of common indoor lighting (like fluorescent) at least, it is difficult for many people to tell the difference between a good fake and a real VS1.

Perhaps we could get an opinion on the following diamonds. If you were to give these diamonds, picked randomly from online retailers, a cursory glance could you pick 2 that you might think may be ‘under valued’, 2 that would be valued just right, and 2 that would be over valued? Curious

# Carat Color Clarity Certificate Depth Table Flr Sym Pol Girdle Culet RetailPrice
1 1.25 J VS1 GIA 60.3 58.0 faint Exc vgood thn-med none $5,675
2 1.24 I VS1 GIA 60.3 56.0 none good good thn-med NA $5,900
3 1.26 F sl1 GIA 64.0 56.0 strong good good med-thk v-small $5,150
4 1.24 I VVS2 GIA 62.6 58.0 faint vgood vgood med-sthk none $6,894
5 1.16 D VS1 GIA 62.8 57.0 strong vgood exc thn-med-fac na $7,855
6 1.25 J VVS1 GIA 62.6 58.0 faint exc exc med-sthk none $5,760
7 1.26 H VVS2 GIA 62.0 57.0 na good vgood thn-sthl-f NA $7,700
8 1.25 I VS1 GIA 61.3 58.0 faint good vgood thn-med none $6,160
9 1.25 J VVS1 GIA 62.6 58.0 faint exc exc med sthk none $5,890
10 1.25 J VS1 GIA 58.8 60.0 none vgood vgood thn none $5,595
11 1.01 H IF GIA 58.8 58.0 med vgood exc thk-fct none $6,070
12 1.01 H IF GIA 61.8 62.0 none exc exc med-sthck none $7,238
13 1.25 H sl1 EGL 61.0 60.0 none vgood good med none $3,462
14 1.26 H sl3 N/A na na na na na na na $3,320
15 1.25 I VS1 EGL 63.6 58.0 faint vgood na thn-thk none $5,482
16 1.25 G VS2 EGL 61.0 57.0 none na vgood thn-fct none $6,523
17 1.25 E VS2 GIA 61.7 59.0 none good na thn-thk-fct none $9,047
18 1.25 F sl2 EGL 60.9 57.0 none na na thn-med none $5,339
19 1.24 I sl1 EGL 61.65 57.0 med na na med na $4,869
20 1.24 K sl2 na 63.4 58.0 none na na na na $3,134
21 1.25 M VS2 EGL 59.3 56.0 none good good thn-sthk none $17,328
22 1.0 J sl2 GIA 63.6 57 none good vgood vthn-vthk none $13,114
23 1.0 M l1 EGL 64.0 58.0 med vgood gppd na none $1,378
24 1.04 G l1 EGL 65.0 56.0 none good good thn-thk na $4,200
25 1.06 D VVS1 AGS 61.8 57.0 med exc exc sthk-thk none $12,094
26 1.01 G l1 EGL 65.0 56.0 none good good thn-thk na $4,200
27 1.01 I sl1 GIA 63.0 60.0 faint vgood vgood na na $6,952
28 1.01 H sl2 na 64.1 54.0 none good vgood na none $2,103
29 1.01 E VS2 GIA 61.6 58.0 med exc exc med none $7,249
30 1.01 J sl1 EGL 60.7 58.0 none vgood vgood med none $3,066
31 1.25 E VS1 GIA 61.8 59.0 faint vgood good sthk na $9,856
32 1.25 G sl1 EGL 63.9 59.0 na good good med-sthk-fct na $5,950
33 1.25 G VS2 AGS 62.1 55.0 none ideal exc na na $7,938
34 1.0 E VS2 EGL 62.0 55.0 na vgood exc thn-med na $6,608

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Hey AA, welcome aboard. Always nice to have a heretic bucking the system. Keeps things lively.

My main observation would be that it's difficult to produce a tool to analyze the market if you don't understand the market yourself. It's an admirable effort, and perhaps you can gain enough education from critics to somewhat fine tune your software, but it's a tough road to haul.

But then again it's a tough road to haul understanding the market the old fashioned way as well. Either way you've got your work cut out for you.

You need to price the AGS cert comparable to the GIA cert. Price the EGL-USA cert stones at about 10% less than that (and fine tune it from there), and then all the other or non-certs at about 20% (and fine tune it from there). These are general starting figures only. Comprehensive research will fine tune it for you.

Be wary of how the non-cert stones will skew things, like for example non-cert SI2's which seem extraordinarily cheap. These are usually I1's in sheep's clothing.

For that matter, you might be better just sticking to certed stones for your figures.

Get a copy of Rapaport and input the different deductions or premiums for fluorescence, and then get the DiamCalc program and input the different deductions or premiums for the different cut categories.

By the time you finish you will no longer be a technician/statistician only, but a diamantaire coming out of the cocoon as well. A weary one, granted, but one just the same...

Good luck, and remember two things. All criticism always has a seed of truth, no matter how small, and all criticism is a honing mechanism for making you sharper. Martin Rappaport was severely criticized for his efforts at reporting diamond prices, and look where he is now. Rich little bugger.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Researcher:

I believe that you miss the point. I glanced at your calculator just after you had posted it and did not respond because I could not think of what to say - except that you were targeting the wrong values.

The people on this forum tend to focus on cut quality. As such, we by and large do not give a hoot about some internet vendors inventory list - unless it is one that specializes in excellent cut diamonds (that maximize light return). Those diamonds make up about 5% of all diamonds - and while you might find one of them in some generic internet vendors list - you have to look (of course, the pricescope cut qualtiy search engine makes that easier).

In order to find a great looking diamond there is already one calculator out. Please click on the "Cut Advisor" under the "Tools" button at the upper right of this forum. That is step one for a diamond search. GIA certificates do not even give you enough information to even use this tool. AGS certificates do. Diamond Calc or some other programs - where you can get a scanned file from a vendor do even better.

Once a person gets past light return. - then they can start worrying about color, clarity, and size. Of couse people will pay attention to the lessor details about the uniformity of cut and polish.

What might be more interesting is for you to try your tool against ACA diamonds from Whiteflash, or diamonds from Good Old Gold (Infinity, Superbcert, HOF, and 8* as well) . At least then you are starting with diamonds that have great light return.

I also belive that you misunderstand what the educated diamond consumer can tell - even after only a few days of education.

Yes, many uneducated people cannot tell the difference between glass, CZ, and diamond. But I fail to see why those people would use your tool - they by and large "trust" what they are told in a store and have chosen to be uneducated. Most people on this forum do not automatically trust a store or what we are told in one - unless the store is well known to us - or until they can talk shop with us (far to often we know far more about diamonds than the sales person in many stores).

Independent appraisal for pricescopers is the norm - and the main pricescope vendors think nothing of sending their diamonds to an independent appraiser to verify that it matches the cert and for other analysis. In fact, many of them will recommend it if you inquire on how you as a consumer can be sure of what you are getting. For those who are known to be on the forum these vendors usually don''t even wait for us to tell them - and ask up front as part of the contact who we would like to have the diamond sent to.

Neil is also correct about stores and why people buy from them and the different pricing structure. To go shopping I take a tool called the IdealScope with me (again under tools). One glance and I can tell if I have a good diamond or not (light return). You should see how bad some of them are. What was recently surprising was I went into a new store in my area and after chatting a while invited them to show me their diamonds - and specifically ones with great light return (I had presented myself as an educated consumer). They were able to sort throught their diamonds and present me a selection of ones that had good IdealScope images - and the salespeople had seen the IdealScope before.

I am not sure what value if any your current tool has. As mentioned above, it''d be a great way to steer someone into a poor looking diamond.

Also note: I like fluorensence.

Perry

dhog

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/13/2006 10:33:13 PM

Dhog, no offense to consumers intended. I’m sure there are many out there who have received compliments on their ‘diamond earings’ which were fake who understand what I meant. Under many types of common indoor lighting (like fluorescent) at least, it is difficult for many people to tell the difference between a good fake and a real VS1.

Perhaps we could get an opinion on the following diamonds. If you were to give these diamonds, picked randomly from online retailers, a cursory glance could you pick 2 that you might think may be ‘under valued’, 2 that would be valued just right, and 2 that would be over valued? Curious

# Carat Color Clarity Certificate Depth Table Flr Sym Pol Girdle Culet RetailPrice

21 1.25 M VS2 EGL 59.3 56.0 none good good thn-sthk none $17,328

22 1.0 J sl2 GIA 63.6 57 none good vgood vthn-vthk none $13,114
just to make you feel good in a make believe world
I say 21 and 22 are overpriced

theres not enough info to even look at any
of the stones that you posted for me to make
a wise decision.

I looked at both of these stones below with my naked
eye and believe me they look like twins in the store
under fancy lights but when you take them outside
they look different. i looked at hundreds if not thousands
of stones and these 2 are the only ones that caught not only
my eye, but my wifes eyes also. you say people are not
able to tell , I say your wrong.

Plug in the #s below and tell me what diamond
I should choose according to your charts as they
both looked the same to my eyes??

Next tell me what diamond has better features
and why it is a better value.???

As consumers we who shop the net are alot
more savy than one thinks.

both of these stones were graded by AGS
with a newly defined 000 in november and dec.2005

how many ags 0/0/0 have you seen.

I urge all P/S members to also plug in the numbers
and raise the price on # 1 until it tells you that it may
be overpriced. at the same time # 2 price is good??

DIAMOND #1

Price: $13,860.00
Report: AGS
Shape: A Cut Above H&A
Carat: 1.688
Color: I
Clarity: VS1
Depth: 61
Table: 54.4
Crown Angle: 34.9
Crown %: 15.9
Pavilion Angle: 40.8
Pavilion %: 42.9
Girdle: Thin to Medium
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Culet: Pointed
Fluorescence: Negligible
Measurements: 7.72-7.74X4.71

DIAMOND 2
PRICE: $ 27,000.00
Report: AGS
Shape: H&A ROUND BR/CUT
Carat: 1.67
Color: I
Clarity: VS1
Depth: 62
Table: 56.6
Crown Angle: 34.5
Crown %: 15.5
Pavilion Angle: 40.8
Pavilion %: 43
Girdle: Thin to Medium
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Culet: Pointed
Fluorescence: Negligible
Measurements: 7.71-7.73X4.69
1.gif

Research

Rough_Rock

Richard Sherwood, Thank you for your useful comments, we will certainly take those into consideration.

Perry, Yes we realize those on this forum may not be the most enthusiastic about this tool, yet we believe expert feedback is critical even if we are not targeting the best 5% of diamonds as you say. At this stage it is intended for the average person who does plan to purchase from/or at least benchmark against internet diamonds.

Dhog, yes #21 & #22 were marked as overpriced by our software as well. And while there may not be enough information in the above diamonds we believe this type of tool could be used as a screener. For instance, our software marked 44,000 internet diamonds within seconds. On the list above it marked #1-#13 as potentially good values, #14-#27 as potentially bad, and #28-#35 as fair value. Obviously these are all internet diamonds.

-AA

Research

Rough_Rock

FYI,

Thank you all for your comments over the past couple days.

NOTE: A few other points about the model. It is intended to calculate round brilliant only as we understood this is the most popular shape preferred by three quarters of consumers. We do not yet allow you to analyze diamonds above 5.99 carat. This was mainly because we did not have a large sample of diamonds to look at above the 6.0 carat size, and also because we understand that the average carat size in the US, while larger in some areas like NYC, California, Boston etc., tend to be around 0.4-0.5 carat (and smaller in Europe). However, while we did have less sample even in the 5-6 carat range, price seems to be predicted fairly accurately here as well. While the underlying model is obviously predicting expected price, and we originally planned to show this, we decided that because no model is 100% accurate, and while most of our clients/larger companies would be delighted with a model as accurate as this one to predict various business outcomes, for the average layman the emotional connection with a single diamond of $x value does not allow for even <10% uncertainty. Therefore the tool was adjusted, and set up for comparison purposes to give an indication of relative value of key variables.

There are many applications for a tool such as this one. For instance the underlying pricing formulas could potentially be feedback into a database with thousands of diamonds and be used to score the gap between retail asking price and expected retail price, identifying opportunities. However, as mentioned earlier, we simply intend to test the use of multivariate analysis on something which David Atlas above refers to as “a meaningful metric for defining beauty”. The fact that “laboratories actually grade color and clarity [in different ways]” does not mean that a pricing engine based on market price is not possible, though it obviously explains why the model fit is not even higher than what we currently see.

We hope the explanation above is helpful. We look forward to serious constructive feedback from you either on how to improve our model further, or to discuss other interesting pricing techniques you may be using?

-AA
4.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results