shape
carat
color
clarity

Depth/Table

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bojack

Rough_Rock
I apologise in advance because I''m sure this question has been posed a thousand times...but I just can''t find it by searching the forums!!

I am looking at two princess cut diamonds: both 0.87 ct, and a VS1 clarity.

One: H color, has a depth/table of 76.2/75 polish/symmetry ID/VG

Two: I color, has a depth/table of 86/73 polish/symmetry GD/GD

I realize the difference in color, but what is the difference in the depth/table and polish/symmetry? How significant are these differences and what do they mean? FYI: diamond one is $200 more then diamond two. ($3,200 vs. $3,000)

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
Answer is not on the forums. Go to knowledge and click advanced tutorial and go to the side and click princess.
You ae going to have to read the rest of the info you want.
An 86 depth? Wow um well read the chart.

kbaker

Shiny_Rock
Those numbers are very high. Please read the information that this website has to offer... It will help ALOT!!
Good Luck!

bojack

Rough_Rock
I''ve read a great deal about what the ideal numbers are, but what about for this particular carot size and price range--- are these numbers still no good? (Again, I realize they are not good overall, but am wondering about these numbers compared to the other aspects of the diamond versus the price)

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
I am sorry to me your question confuses me. Either you want a well cut stone or not. Well cut stones are always better. Run the numbers yourself for a price comparison of cuts in this catagory. Its right on this site.

bojack

Rough_Rock
Don''t worry, my question confuses me too!
3.gif
How about this: Are these numbers comparable to your average "mall" jewelry store diamonds, or are they much higher than even those? I guess I am trying to get a sense of relativity here. For my budget (approx. $3500), I would rather get a higher carot diamond with a high color and a more average depth/table than a smaller diamond with an ideal depth/table. Are my priorities backwards?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
are your priorities backwards? well, that''s for you to decide.

i''ve learned that you can''t judge fancy cuts like princess on numbers alone and i usually don''t recommend one fancy over another, but there is nothing about the second stone that i like.

you''re the one who has seen them however, so you will have to decide if the $200 difference is noticable.

best of luck to you!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Without being able to see both diamonds I would be more inclined to pay the extra for the better color, better polish/symmetry stone. It probably looks better, too, but that is pure guesswork. An 86% table is going to have negative impact on sparkle and dispersion in most stones....maybe not this one, but most.

Have you made any effort to look for really top quality cut in the size range you are looking in? I''d like you to look a little harder before saying you have decided.

bojack

Rough_Rock
You are absolutely right David-- I guess I didn''t mention that these are not, by any means, the final two stones I am considering. I was just trying to get some input as to the general differences between these two stones as a reference for my further stone searches. So, for example, Blue Nile says a particular diamond is a "good" cut...do they base that on an HCA type model with depth/table numbers, or is that more like their "expert opinion"? Also, does anyone know what kind of range a typical b & m chain store diamond might be for depth/table? I guess for my situation, I don''t really need a totally superior diamond in every way, but I like to avoid getting something online that isn''t as good as in a chain store.

Thank you everyone for trying to help me out (and being patient with my ignorance)! I didn''t realize there were so many variables involved in the diamond selection process!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results