shape
carat
color
clarity

Dendritic Agate or Quartz?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Callisto

Brilliant_Rock
So I''ve recently start to yearn for a dendritic stone. I first saw dendritic quartz but have recently seen some Agate as well. I want something a bit larger as I''d like to find one I could make a pendant out of. I''ve started making my way through all the vendors on that sticky topic in colored stones but thought I would post here as well to see if anyone knew of a good place to get one or had seen one recently.

Feel free to post any suggestions or stones you find. Thanks!

Callisto

Brilliant_Rock
Oooo that is gorgeous!!! Oh no now you''re making my decision even harder... that wasn''t the aim of this post. Haha no I''m really grateful for any suggestions or even just education about different options. That is definitely another beautiful stone to keep an eye out for. Thanks!

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Gemline has a bunch of dendric agates.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I got interested in cutting stones when I was kid and my uncle was a rockhound and lapidary. He would travel all over the Northwest on his vacations camping and digging for material to cut, mostly agates. When looking for these types of agates I would suggest searching for "picture agate" and "plume agate" since there are an endless number of variations on that dendrite form and they all have different names depending on where they were found. Some of the more attractive forms are white and red dendrites, plumes and feathers. The really amazing part is that a really fine piece of these materials can easily cost several hundred dollars. If you really want some nice stuff try to attend a "Rock Show"...not rock and roll, but a large collection of old rockhounds. They often have tables set up with hundreds of slabs or rough agates of all varieties sitting in tubs of water. A very entertaining way to spend a day or two.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I am a fan too
21.gif
you can check out the ebay, but just to note, there are synthetic ones as well!

Callisto

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much for all of your help and education guys. I have a friend at work who makes a lot of silver jewelry and I''d love to commission her to do something for me and this style of stone seemed to be a good fit since its not terribly expensive in larger sizes and some of them have such cool designs.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results