shape
carat
color
clarity

Demantoid Melee

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t have a camera suitable for taking photos of grains of salt, but I thought I would post this anyway, since it is unusual, at least by my standards.

This is the melee for a blue cushion sapphire I am going to have made into a ring. Sourcing the melee ended up being sort of like looking for a rosetta stone, and the process was a really fun project.

There are thirty of them, each is appx. 1.5 in size. I don''t know exactly how may I will need, so I ordered enough to save a couple in case I ever lose one.

They were lined up neatly, all facing up, until I opened the glass top. Let''s just say I will not be opening up the top again.

demantoid melee.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
9.gif
Well, look on the bright side, at least they''re all still in the box!!!!!
9.gif

When I read your title I thought, there''s no way that anybody will find demantoid garnet melee ............ and here it is! I''m impressed. What colours to do you - are they lighter because they''re small?

I can''t wait to see what you do with them.

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
They actually are a normal color. I guess you would have to have some photography skills to
take a photo of something so small. My daughter has a nice camera; I will try to get her to
take a better photo over the weekend. Anyway, here is another shot. I resized it down more and
more of the color is apparent here-- maybe. They are all actually the same color. Some of them are in the box face up, some are not.
The glass is over the top in the photo. It won't be removed again. I have not counted to see if there are still 30 of them.

grains of salt.JPG

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Very cool, where did you order those?

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Those are very cool! I''d like to know where you found them as well if you don''t mind sharing that info.
36.gif

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, LD and Brandy and Firecracker!!! Having seen your collections, I am flattered you like my idea.

I got the melee through a dealer I use who is out of the country, and I don't know where these were found. I think they are from Africa; I will have to ask again to refresh my memory.

The dealor I deal with is coming to Tucson. I seem to recall the mention of a lot of demantoid becoming available, there was a strike, and that most was too brown but some quite nice. So, perhaps there will be lots of tiny demantoid in Tucson, if you wish to have someone that you use look for you there?

If not, ask the moderator for permission to contact me, and I will follow up for you.

Also, here is a cad shot of my sapphire. The knobs will turn into double claws. The demantoids are going around in a halo and down the band. This is showing it with diamond melee, of course.

bulky cad.JPG

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
How fun! I think your ring is going to look great. I love coloured melee.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Very cool! I know I have little diamonds like that that pop out like jumping beans when you open the lid. I also dont open the lid anymore, LOL. Cant wait to see the ring!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooo, what a fun project! Can''t wait to see it!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually, I think I saw Awesomegems offer some demantoid melees for sale.
31.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results