shape
carat
color
clarity

Demantoid garnet or tsavorite garnet..?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
What are the benifits of both, and wich one would you prefer and why?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer tsavorite because I love deep pure greens with a touch of blue, and demantoids generally have more yellow. Demantoids that are a deep pure green are VERY expensive.

Demantoids are also more expensive in general, and hard to find in precision cuts other than round. They are also softer, and aren't readily available in larger sizes (say over 1ct). I don't think I've ever seen a demantoid on the web page of a precision cutter (presumably because much of it is cut in Russia or in Africa near the mine? Or it's small sizes?).

So yeah, I'm in the tsav camp.

Although the positives of demantoids are that they have a higher RI than diamonds, so can be very dispersive. And the Russian demantoids have a rarity factor that some find desirable.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
It depends how big a stone you want. Big? Tsavorite. Little? Demantoid.

I have a ring with two tiny (<4 mm) demantoids and they twinkle like little green diamonds. They love to send out colored flashes of light, including red! I don''t think tsavorites of that size would make themselves seen like that. But bigger tsavs have a greener color, better durability, a much better price, and are pretty lively, though they don''t flash rainbow fire..

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh yeah, as smaller stones, demantoids have better presence I''d say. So I guess it depends on what you''re looking to do with it.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Both! They are very different. I have an upcoming piece of jewelry that will have one of both. I love the dispersive flashes from the demantoid, but the bright greens from the tsavorites are glowy and amazing. My 4mm tsav reminds me of the green light on a stop light. But mine is a lighter medium green, unlike most of the darker greens seen here on PS (Pandora and Pokey''s come to mind. And my little demantoid is an acid green. They both make me happy.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Ooh, tough call. I prefer the color of a good medium green tsavorite, but the fire of a demantoid. A tsavorite-green demantoid would be perfect, but that would be $$$$$$$!

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am thinking of adding a demantoid to my collection....or a tsavorite.

Ironically, tsavorites are much more expensive then demantoids. I thought it was suppost to be the other way around!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Top quality Russian demantoids in large sizes (over 1 carat) can be very expensive. Namibian material is not as expensive as the Russian material.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/3/2009 8:24:16 PM
Author: jstarfireb
Ooh, tough call. I prefer the color of a good medium green tsavorite, but the fire of a demantoid. A tsavorite-green demantoid would be perfect, but that would be $$$$$$$!
The top quality Russian ones are very chrome green, but the fire gets killed in the darker green stones. However, they are the most desired by the trade.

With demantoid, they tend to shift color to a more olive, or brown in some lighting, so you should be aware of that when shopping for one. The lighter green ones are very pretty, I would just prefer not a strong brown modifier. Gemlineinc.com carries demantoids.

Sphene reminds me a great deal of the lighter green stones, but it has more fire.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HAHA Ironically, I was just looking at some of his demantoids!!! I was looking at the fancy cushion cut one. Made me melt!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just know that you pay a premium for stones of Russian origin. The Russian stones tend to hold their color in lighting better, but not always. The Namibian material tends to color shift to an olive color, but it's still pretty. I have a Russian and a Namibian in my collection.

ETA: The cushion looks included and since it's from Namibia, the inclusions do not give it any added value. It's best to buy clean Namibian material, whereas, people tend to look for the horsetail inclusions that reside in the Russian material (as long as it doesn't cloud up the stone). LovingDiamonds has several demantoids set in jewelry floating around somewhere. I hope she chimes in later.

Alistra

Shiny_Rock
Demantoid for sure! I love the amazing dispersion! I always seem to get compliments when I wear my mine. This is not a great picture of it though! I never wear it on my left hand or with a band either. I was playing around with bands, and it was easier to take a picture using my right hand!
1.gif

Alistra

Shiny_Rock
Oops! That probably makes more sense with the picture!
1.gif

DemantoidRing3.jpg

Alistra

Shiny_Rock

DemantoidRing4.jpg

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Here are some pics of my demantoid:

2176.JPG

218177.JPG

And with MTG's tsavorite, a great color comparison!

2196.JPG

Alistra

Shiny_Rock
Jstarfireb - those are great pictures! I wish the lighting on mine did not come out so dark. My stone is much brighter in real life. More of a crayon green.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, but I gotta credit MTG for the pics, since she took them (and it was her camera)! Mine never turn out true to life either. Bummer!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/3/2009 7:07:29 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade

Although the positives of demantoids are that they have a higher RI than diamonds, so can be very dispersive.
Just a slight correction, demantoid has a higher level of dispersion than a diamond, but not a higher refractive index - R. I. doesen''t indicate dispersion, just the level to which the speed of light is reduced when light travels through a given material.

When it comes to choosing between the two greens, if you''re more into color you''ll probably get a tsavorite, but if you prefer the sparkle factor and don''t mind a smaller stone you''ll go with a demantoid. Durability is a good point to consider also (as mentioned), especially if you''d like to set the stone into a ring and wear it quite often; then tsavorite would be better.

Palagems has buying guides on both on it''s website, which might help you decide.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
I think you should get both as they have both have different but desirable qualities.
9.gif

Here''s my set of dems earmarked for a five stone ring, they hold colour well in different lightings.

IMG_1205 (450x600).jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both demantoid and tsavorite have their own niche; one is not really “better” than the other per se. My goal is to get at least one of each because the two are just too different.

1. Pure green demantoid is far more expensive and difficult to find than tsavorites.
2. Pure green demantoid is rare over 1 ct size than tsavorites.
3. The yellowish green demantoid shows better dispersion than the pure green demantoid due to the nature that something lighter in colour shows off dispersion better.
4. Tsavorite is better and “stronger” as a ring stone than demantoids. You can still use a demantoid as a ring stone but a lot of caution needs to be exercised.

morecarats

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/3/2009 8:25:34 PM
Author: Tropicgal10
I am thinking of adding a demantoid to my collection....or a tsavorite.

Ironically, tsavorites are much more expensive then demantoids. I thought it was suppost to be the other way around!
Yes, you''re right about demantoid typically being more expensive. But there has been a recent find of demantoid in Madagascar and so there has been a lot of material in the market in the last six months. It tends to be more of a yellowish green, but the lighter color does have excellent dispersion. You never know when these new deposits will be exhausted, so now is a good time to buy demantoid for those who are interested.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d forgotten one more thing to add: as a collector, I prefer to collect demantoids from the Ural region because they show the horsetail inclusion. That’s just a personal thing though because demantoids from other places can be quite nice as well.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/4/2009 3:42:03 AM
Author: Lovinggems
I think you should get both as they have both have different but desirable qualities.
9.gif

Here''s my set of dems earmarked for a five stone ring, they hold colour well in different lightings.
I just about choked on my coffee when I saw those - what amazing color!! That''s going to be an incredible ring, Lovinggems!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/4/2009 8:57:29 AM
Author: cellentani
I just about choked on my coffee when I saw those - what amazing color!! That''s going to be an incredible ring, Lovinggems!
Tell me about it; her gorgeous demantoids make my itch for one of my own quite bad and she has FIVE!

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Demantoids! Not that tsavorites aren''t beautiful too but I prefer the demantoids.

Both Russian demantoids in this picture.

kiz-bothdemantoid2.jpg

The stones in the ring on the bottom right are tsavorites. Definitely a different look than demantoids.

kiz-greenrings.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous garnets, everyone!

Here are mine. Tsav is the big one on the bottom; dems are the two in the top ring. They''re Russian and old--that''s the original c.1900 ring. One of them has a classic horsetail.

greengarnetsgl2.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mmm...glitterata, how I ADORE that demantoid ring!!

I used to have a demantoid cluster ring, but lost it..
8.gif
I swear, every time I move I lose something!

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HAHA at buying both. There is one I am buying....I have purchased from this person before and gotten good stuff.
It is .69cts, and has a horsetail inclusion in it (cant see it from the pic, so it is to be decided.)
I know some people arnt a fan of trillians, but I LOVE them.

I looked at a bunch of tsavorites, but none of them made me go ooo. I dont know, the color seems kind of typical in tsavorites (no offence to those who love them). I want something that will make me go WOW!!

DemantoidgarnetKS.jpg

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Glitterata''s dem ring just floors me. There''s nothing like those older rings.
30.gif

Lovinggems is making me itch for the completion of my 3-stone.

I have to say, although I love both demantoids and tsavs (because green is my favorite color), and of course I adore the dispersive qualities of dems, I first got the hankering for dems when I saw my first horsetail photo. It was not just the cunning appearance of it but...as one of those horse-mad girls growing up I just *had* to have a stone that contained something called a "horsetail"!

What can I say. Gems are as much about the romance as the actual beauty, right?
emsmiled.gif

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/4/2009 4:31:54 PM
Author: Hest88
Glitterata''s dem ring just floors me. There''s nothing like those older rings.
30.gif

Lovinggems is making me itch for the completion of my 3-stone.

I have to say, although I love both demantoids and tsavs (because green is my favorite color), and of course I adore the dispersive qualities of dems, I first got the hankering for dems when I saw my first horsetail photo. It was not just the cunning appearance of it but...as one of those horse-mad girls growing up I just *had* to have a stone that contained something called a ''horsetail''!

What can I say. Gems are as much about the romance as the actual beauty, right?
emsmiled.gif
Of course! I sometimes spoon on the couch with my stones. LOL j/k. I have never seen a horsetail inclusion, so I am excited to see one in person!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results