shape
carat
color
clarity

Deep Dive- in a Pool!

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A new pool in Dubai, Deep Dive, is opening up to the commoners soon. It's 196' deep and there appears to be much to explore. Not sure why people are shown in wetsuits as it's a rather warm 86°F. Given the depth, one can't dive for long though.

Any one interested?

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw this in the news - it's incredible! I tried scuba-diving in a pool once and hated it - so claustrophobic and I couldn't breathe properly, normally, through that stupid mouthpiece - but I would like to sit in the restaurant and watch all the divers!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm very interested so I looked up the prices.
There will be three "category of experiences", starting around US $220.
I think it said they plan to open to the public at the end of July.

Good point about the wet suits.
I'm certified by PADI to dive down to 60 ft.
I dove in the Philippine islands of Cebu and Luzon where no wetsuit was needed.
There are interesting places to dive here in California, but require a wet suit.
No thanks.
I've heard divers say wet suit diving lacks the physical sensation of scuba diving, kinda like sex with a condom.

Scuba diving was one of the best experiences of my life.
It's like flying, hopefully flying in a paradise.
When water conditions are good you can look up and see the blue sky, clouds, and sun.
Lucky me, I got to dive in one of the world's best dive locations on Uncle Sam's dime.

Alas, my traveling days are long over.
Even if COVID was over I'd still prefer to stay at home these days.

Last edited:

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't get it. Build a huge underwater pipe, fill it with terrestrial garbage, and get people to pay to see stuff they can see on land.

Deep Dive Dubai is themed as a submerged metropolis intact with seminal city furniture such as lampposts, shopping carts, bicycles, billboards, ATMs, trash cans, phone booths, fire escape ladders, among other everyday objects from a modern metropolis. You get the picture. But you will not only be diving amongst urban artifacts. After an unknown post-apocalyptic incident eroded the city’s walls, you can explore a fully furnished apartment. The different rooms in the apartment are decorated with classic artwork on the walls, furniture, and toys. There is also a workshop with cars, motorbikes, arcade games, and much more.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not for me
but i do own a wet suit - one of those ones with half sleeves and half legs, its lovelly and warm to lounge around in when one gets out of the sea

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't get it. Build a huge underwater pipe, fill it with terrestrial garbage, and get people to pay to see stuff they can see on land.

Deep Dive Dubai is themed as a submerged metropolis intact with seminal city furniture such as lampposts, shopping carts, bicycles, billboards, ATMs, trash cans, phone booths, fire escape ladders, among other everyday objects from a modern metropolis. You get the picture. But you will not only be diving amongst urban artifacts. After an unknown post-apocalyptic incident eroded the city’s walls, you can explore a fully furnished apartment. The different rooms in the apartment are decorated with classic artwork on the walls, furniture, and toys. There is also a workshop with cars, motorbikes, arcade games, and much more.

Makes as much sense as fake-fantasy Disneyland, and that's done well ... for 66 years.
Many people like fantasy entertainment.

But good point about the artificialness of it.
Personally, I'd much rather dive in one of earth's last remaining good and fully natural dive spots.

I do like the safety aspect of having a hyperbaric chamber right there, in case you screw up and get the bends.

Last edited:

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally, I'd much rather dive in one of earth's last remaining good and fully natural dive spots.

I wish they had chosen to create an underwater sanctuary for endangered species in one half and then in the other showed what is happening due to human caused ocean pollution. I think Disneyland is a waste of space. That's how I vary.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The appeal is probably being able to say you dove in the deepest pool. I wouldn't do it. I've ben certified for 30 years, and I would much rather swim in the ocean. It feels like home to me. California, however, is too freaking cold for me. I refuse to dive here again. I'll snorkel in Catalina and swim locally, but that's it. I'm too old to put up with cold water with low visibility.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

thats not far from me (about a 5 mile bike ride)

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm NAUI certified, but haven't been diving since I got barotrauma from blowing out an eardrum in Grand Cayman. One of my finest memories is going on a night dive off Bonaire. The iridescence of the diatomes was unbelievable.

Diving in a pool - meh. But it's always a lot colder at deeper levels, so even in the Caribbean I always wore a shorty wetsuit and a skin.

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks to this thread, tonight's rabbit hole was scuba videos.
Soooo relaxing!

Dive spots become popular for what you see there.
This one is famous for its mystery ... why do so many divers die there?
And why is it that almost all who drown here are this gender and this age range.

It's a compelling murder mystery that pulled me down, down, and further down.
Watch the 44 minute documentary below to find out what I mean.
Learn the legend of The Blue Hole's shocking and tragic curse! :shock:

IOW, something uplifting to brighten your weekend. ;))

Last edited:

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Il One of my finest memories is going on a night dive off Bonaire. The iridescence of the diatomes was unbelievable.

Mine too! We dove the town pier at night. (This was back when before it became a tourist thing and you just notified the Harbour Master and did it on your own). It was a little unnerving swimming around the big boats anchored there...but so worth it. The colors and the nightlife were another world from what we saw during the day..I remember playing catch with a blowfish.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was NAUI certified but alas it is long expired. Maybe the wet suit is to maintain body temp as dive seems prolonged. Plus it may be more comfortable to support a weight belt. Also there maybe sharp or uncomfortable things to sit on or swim around. I’ll pass.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was NAUI certified but alas it is long expired. Maybe the wet suit is to maintain body temp as dive seems prolonged. Plus it may be more comfortable to support a weight belt. Also there maybe sharp or uncomfortable things to sit on or swim around. I’ll pass.

I could be poorly informed, but IIRC you only need a weight belt to compensate for the buoyancy of the
When scuba diving I've never worn a wet suit or a weight belt.
I did wear a buoyancy compensating vest though since the tanks are so heavy.

CoffeeAndDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I'm PADI open water certified, but I'm pretty meh about diving. Much prefer snorkeling and free diving. My ears don't equalize very well, and I feel like I have more freedom without all the gear and being able to change depth and positioning very quickly.

I love fish, coral, and marine mammals so would probably skip the Dubai pool.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I'm NAUI certified, but haven't been diving since I got barotrauma from blowing out an eardrum in Grand Cayman. One of my finest memories is going on a night dive off Bonaire. The iridescence of the diatomes was unbelievable.

Diving in a pool - meh. But it's always a lot colder at deeper levels, so even in the Caribbean I always wore a shorty wetsuit and a skin.

Ohhhhh I have gone on a night dive in Bonaire too! It was incredible.

My favorite (albeit terrifying) moment was when a 6ft tarpon snuck up beside me from behind, as he was using my light to hunt for parrotfish! :lol: Lazy bugger. I liked his gumption.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've never done real diving, but I have snorkeled many times while visiting Maui and Kauai. Truly amazing. The sea turtles are as big as a kitchen table. Swimming next to them was an amazing experience. Of course, we didn't touch them.
We studied the local fish before we went so we would know what we were looking at. I came face to face with a couple of barracudas. Luckily, they ignored me!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results