shape
carat
color
clarity

Dee*Jay are you still happy with your RB?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sparkles

Brilliant_Rock
I have been reading through your previous posts regarding your journey of owning fancies , to finally buying a round. Stunning Jack Kelege setting by the way.

Just wondering if you miss any of your fancy colorless shapes.

I''m experiencing mind clean issues with my pear. Finding a well cut pear in a higher color and clarity is proving difficult. So been looking at bigger sizes = serious chunk of change.

I''m thinking of throwing in the towel and getting 3.3+ H SI1 or I si1 well cut rb with MB fluoro.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/14/2007 8:08:40 PM
Author:sparkles

I'm experiencing mind clean issues with my pear. Finding a well cut pear in a higher color and clarity is proving difficult. So been looking at bigger sizes = serious chunk of change.

I'm thinking of throwing in the towel and getting 3.3+ H SI1 or I si1 well cut rb with MB fluoro.
WHAT? The horror! Say it ain't so!!! Nothing wrong with a beautiful rb of course...but it's a totally different animal!

What's the issue with the pear? The color (H) or the clarity (SI2)? Or both? Cuz what you're thinking of getting isn't far off from what you've got in the pear.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm... funny you should ask this question...

These past few days I''ve been (gasp!) missing my oval. It has not been long enough yet for me to have forgotten the the trauma/drama that I went though though when I decided I was out of love with it so I don''t think I''m ready to go back down that round again... yet.
11.gif

And thank you for the compliment on the setting. I think that even if I do end up trading my round I will keep the setting and put something else in it. Maybe a canary radiant if I could find one with the right dimensions. (Dee scuttles off to search for a new yellow diamond.
31.gif
)

What do you have now? I will tell you that my oval, even though it was smaller in ct wt, looked a lot bigger than my round. And my original pear looked much bigger next to rounds of the same ct wt, so that is one consideration. If I had to do it all over again I would definitely consider spending more time looking for the *right* fancy cut as an option to a round.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/14/2007 9:55:57 PM
Author: Dee*Jay

These past few days I''ve been (gasp!) missing my oval. It has not been long enough yet for me to have forgotten the the trauma/drama that I went though though when I decided I was out of love with it so I don''t think I''m ready to go back down that round again... yet.
11.gif
Is that a freudian slip?
2.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/14/2007 10:00:05 PM
Author: FireGoddess

These past few days I've been (gasp!) missing my oval. It has not been long enough yet for me to have forgotten the the trauma/drama that I went though though when I decided I was out of love with it so I don't think I'm ready to go back down that round again... yet.
11.gif

Is that a freudian slip?
2.gif

ROFLMAO! Yes, actually it is! I meant "down that road again" LOL.

Sparkles, I see in rereading your original post that you have a pear. My original e-ring was a pear with baby pears on the sides and I did really loved it while I had it, but then the upgrade bug hit and the rest is history...

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OH I read that as "road" NOT "round" HA HA

If you do decide you need to shop for another ring I'd love to go along. I am the only one of my friends that has the "Diamond/Jewelry Illness" I keep trying to infect people but it's slow going. They do humor me but a shopping companion that truly enjoys jewelry that would be wonderful.

I'd just love to shop for a fancy -- they are so interesting.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stone Hunter, I recently went on the prowl for a yellow diamond; either an oval, radiant or cushion. That was an interesting learning experience! Not only are you dealing with fancy shapes and color, but then cut becomes a whole ''nother animal. If I''d known that you were interested I would have called you up and asked you to come along!
2.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

11.gif
Is that a freudian slip?
2.gif
lol.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/15/2007 9:28:10 AM
Author: Ellen

These past few days I've been (gasp!) missing my oval. It has not been long enough yet for me to have forgotten the the trauma/drama that I went though though when I decided I was out of love with it so I don't think I'm ready to go back down that round again... yet.
11.gif

Is that a freudian slip?
2.gif
lol.gif

rotflmao2.gif

well, I think I've always known the JK had potential to be moved to a RHR. What would you then do for an e-ring??
31.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/15/2007 9:43:58 AM
Author: mrssalvo

well, I think I''ve always known the JK had potential to be moved to a RHR. What would you then do for an e-ring??
31.gif
Good point...the JK is a substantial ring to have to outdo!!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/15/2007 2:28:43 PM

Date: 8/15/2007 9:43:58 AM
Author: mrssalvo

well, I think I''ve always known the JK had potential to be moved to a RHR. What would you then do for an e-ring??
31.gif

Yah, but wouldn''t it be fun trying!!!
3.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/15/2007 2:44:59 PM

Date: 8/15/2007 2:28:43 PM

Yah, but wouldn''t it be fun trying!!!
3.gif
I dunno.
11.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/15/2007 9:22:25 AM
Stone Hunter, I recently went on the prowl for a yellow diamond; either an oval, radiant or cushion. That was an interesting learning experience! Not only are you dealing with fancy shapes and color, but then cut becomes a whole ''nother animal. If I''d known that you were interested I would have called you up and asked you to come along!
2.gif
It would have been fun! I bet the radiant cut brings out the color the most. Is that what you found? And what did you buy?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/15/2007 3:02:02 PM
Author: Stone Hunter

Date: 8/15/2007 9:22:25 AM
2.gif
It would have been fun! I bet the radiant cut brings out the color the most. Is that what you found? And what did you buy?
You''re absolutely right, I did find the radiant stones to hold the best color. That being said, I also found them to almost universally have two or four triangles of dark extinction along the sides. There was only one radiant I found that had completely consistent color, and it was unfortunately just a leeeetle smaller than what I was looking for.

Ultimately my project just kind of petered out and I never got around to buying anything. The closest contender though was a yellow oval that I hope I don''t someday regret not getting!

sparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Dee*Jay interesting that you are still drawn to the fancy shapes but now in a fancy color!

Firegoddess , I am having a problem with both the color and clarity.

WF have been looking for an alternative but pickings are slim. The jump in price is also substantial.

DMBsGirl

Brilliant_Rock
I''ll give the pear a happy home!
11.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry your project died out. Maybe something else in a fancy shape?

sparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Just realized I posted this in the wrong forum.

I think I am having issues because I have had several comments from jewellers about me buying such a poor quality stone. Here they put more emphasis on color and clarity to sell diamonds. I personally feel cut quality is not high on the list.

If i was to stay with a pear this is what I found on pricescope

3.54 D SI1 64.1% 57% GIA gd vg stg 12.63x8.41x5.39 $11288 $39958

Firegoddess , do you think its worth an Extra 15k , thats roughly another 23k singapore dollars to go from a H to a D and an SI1 to an Si2.

I think that putting the obviously different color D/E pears next to it and not being able to find a jeweller who appreciates the cut has put a dampener on the whole thing.

I showed the jeweller a halo setting for the stone and was told .005 not .01 points should be the size for the halo.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sparkles, I just went back and read through your threads and I think I'm confused. You want to upgrade the SIZE or the COLOR or the CLARITY or some combination of these things?

Honestly, I find your current pear *to die for*, but I absolutely (as much as any person on this planet, LOL) understand that it's not about what *I* or anyone else thinks, it's about what you think.

Your comment about jewelers saying your pear is not good though--is that because of the color and/or clarity? Certainly it's not because of the cut! Is it because of a cultural issue (i.e., the lest "perfect" things are the less they are valued [in a mental way, not in a $ way])?

As for putting Ds next to Hs; of course there is going to be a difference. But IRL, outside of a jewelry store where there *are* Ds to put next to Hs, how is it for you? Do you see color in the H that bothers you in the lighting environments that you normally live in? If so, I understand that. My original pear was an H but it was a much smaller size (1.33) and I never saw any color, but my 3.03 oval was an I and I did occassionally see color.

About whether changing out the stone is worth the $... I wish I could help you on that point but really that's such a personal decision I don't even want to make an attempt to influence your decision.

ETA: Stone Hunter, I don't know what I will do next in terms of color/shape. I have been thinking of another oval or a pear, but I'm not sure I'm ready to make the commitment yet. Plus, for me it is often about *the project* so I can have almost as much fun thinking it over and looking and different things as actually doing it. (Sick, I know!)

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sparkles, my pear is a D. But would I have paid 15K more to have it instead of an equivalently sized/cut H? Definitely not, but my disposable finances may be different than yours, and mind clean is a powerful thing.

HOWEVER....pears show color more than rounds do, and bigger stones show color easier than smaller ones do. So would I get a 3 ct H pear? I don''t know - I''d have to see it in person to know if the color bothered me., but I think in such large stones it still doesn''t irk me till I get lower than H. Next to a D you will definitely see color in an H, but on its own...I doubt it much. I think your stone is beautiful. I also think that these jewelers who think you should have gone up in color and clarity are forsaking the most important thing, which is the cut, and your pear is cut very well. It could be a cultural thing in knowing you have top color or clarity, but I bet 99% of the people out there couldn''t guess the color and clarity of your stone if they tried.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/16/2007 10:28:04 AM
Author: sparkles
Just realized I posted this in the wrong forum.

I think I am having issues because I have had several comments from jewellers about me buying such a poor quality stone. Here they put more emphasis on color and clarity to sell diamonds. I personally feel cut quality is not high on the list.

If i was to stay with a pear this is what I found on pricescope

3.54 D SI1 64.1% 57% GIA gd vg stg 12.63x8.41x5.39 $11288 $39958

Firegoddess , do you think its worth an Extra 15k , thats roughly another 23k singapore dollars to go from a H to a D and an SI1 to an Si2.

I think that putting the obviously different color D/E pears next to it and not being able to find a jeweller who appreciates the cut has put a dampener on the whole thing.

I showed the jeweller a halo setting for the stone and was told .005 not .01 points should be the size for the halo.
Maybe you could just ignore those jewelers. It seems like they may want to sell you a different stone. Are you happy with your stone and you want to halo it? Or do you really want to upgrade your stone in some way? Sorry I''m just not sure of what YOU want to do.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results