shape
carat
color
clarity

Deciding on ring size...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Erinleigh

Shiny_Rock
Hi ladies,

So FF wants my ring size, but I''m having a hard time on deciding what to tell him, and thought that you ladies might be able to help!

So I wear a 6.5 on my ring finger. In the summer, it feels OK, but when I get hot it''s snug. I can still take the ring off, but it''s tight, and on occasion, I notice it because it feels a bit uncomfortable. In the winter, it''s not loose to the point of falling off, but it''s looser. I''m debating whether I should be going up to a 6.75? One of the ladies in the jewelry store said the quarter size wouldn''t really make a difference. But Im concerned that wearing an ering (2mm) and a band (2mm, so 4mm total) eventually could be too tight? I''m planning on losing some more weight before the wedding, so I''m just not really sure what size I should be ordering! 6.75 to make it comfortable when I''m hot in the summer? Or 6.5 just in case weight loss or winter makes it looser.

Haha, I need some help... any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd go for the 6.75. The wedding band really does make the engagement ring feel a bit more snug. I got a 5.25 for my engagement ring and a 5.5 for my wedding band for that reason, and I can tell the difference between the two.

ETA are you getting an eternity setting? If not, you can always resize if you end up being unhappy with the size you chose. And if you are getting an eternity setting I would suggest going for a larger size and getting sizing beads added.

misskitty

Brilliant_Rock
I say it''s better to go too big than possibly-too-small. You can always get sizing beads to make it fit tighter, which I think is a better choice than not being able to always wear the ring or having it be uncomfy.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/28/2009 9:20:44 PM
Author:Erinleigh
Hi ladies,

So FF wants my ring size, but I''m having a hard time on deciding what to tell him, and thought that you ladies might be able to help!

So I wear a 6.5 on my ring finger. In the summer, it feels OK, but when I get hot it''s snug. I can still take the ring off, but it''s tight, and on occasion, I notice it because it feels a bit uncomfortable. In the winter, it''s not loose to the point of falling off, but it''s looser. I''m debating whether I should be going up to a 6.75? One of the ladies in the jewelry store said the quarter size wouldn''t really make a difference. But Im concerned that wearing an ering (2mm) and a band (2mm, so 4mm total) eventually could be too tight? I''m planning on losing some more weight before the wedding, so I''m just not really sure what size I should be ordering! 6.75 to make it comfortable when I''m hot in the summer? Or 6.5 just in case weight loss or winter makes it looser.

Haha, I need some help... any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!
Hi there!
35.gif

Just so you know, your body weight will probably have little effect on your finger size, unless you are talking about losing a very large amount of weight. It''s quite normal for people''s fingers to swell a bit in the summertime and then shrink back down when the weather cools off, and it''s good that you''re already planning ahead on how your engagement ring will fit with your wedding band in the mix too.

And, a quarter size can make ALL the difference! Especially when stacking rings.

Two tips on how to figure out the best size: one, go out and try on rings that are the same mm as what you plan on buying. When you go, take note and see if the wedding band and e-ring fit best with them being the same size when stacked together or if they should be different sizes and what the difference is between those two sizes (for example, the best fit could be if the e-ring is a quarter-size bigger than the wedding band since the e-ring will sit higher up on your finger). Two, if your boyfriend has any idea where he''ll be buying the ring, he should get you sized there. Ring sizing often changes from store to store, so a 6.5 might be too small at one place but just right somewhere else. If that''s not an option, you can always give him a ring that fits you the best (preferably the same mm width as your future e-ring or wedding band) to give to the jeweler. Some jewelers will also offer their own ring sizing kit to take home or mail out to you (Mark Morrell does this) to standardize the measuring of your ring size.

Hope that helps!
1.gif

marlie

Brilliant_Rock
my actual ring size is a 4.5 but my e ring is a 4.75. it spins a tiny little bit sometimes which doesn''t really bother me. my fingers swell if i''m running or if it''s hot out so and then the ring is tighter but still comfy. i may add the little ball thingys on the inside to make it a bit more snug later on. i''ll wait to see how my wedding band changes the fit of everything.

i guess my advice would be getting it a smidge bigger than your size if your fingers swell a lot...as long as it''s not possible for it to fall off.

dec2410

Shiny_Rock

i''d go with the 6.75...just in case.

i''m a size 6 but i told FF to get a 6.25...so i can prevent finger muffin-top. hehe.

25.gif

good luck!!

jeg80

Rough_Rock
I don''t know what to suggest but want you to know you aren''t alone!!! I''m still going through this and my ring is being made as we speak
23.gif

My fingers flutuate so much its ridiculous. After I workout or am outside in the warm weather I''m almost a comfortable 7 but when I''m cold or well hydrated I can wear a 6. I ended up ordering a 6.25 since I''m currently losing weight but I still have my "hourly" doubts about it!

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock
I''m also going through this right now. To the chagrin of mt jeweler, I ended up ordering a half size up from what I am "supposed" to wear. I HATE tight rings, and even slightly snug rings. I buy a lot of fashion rings and I''ve never worn a ring that is my size because no stores buy fashion rings smaller than a size 5. So I guess I''ve gotten used to having my rings slightly "loose". My jeweler thinks the size I''ve chosen (4.75) is way too loose for me, but it feels just right to me. No finger vices for me!
So I''d go for the 6.75, if it were me.
5.gif

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Go a little larger
1.gif

Erinleigh

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all the input ladies! I''ve been back and forth so many times I''m driving FF nuts... lol! We''ve finally decided to go with the 6.75, because I like looser fitting rings anyways (and I too am afraid of finger muffin top, haha), and if the ering is too big on its own, I''ll get one of those squishy ring sizers.

vip0802

Brilliant_Rock
i think you made a good decision with 6.75.
36.gif
let us know how it turns out!

Erinleigh

Shiny_Rock
Hopefully I''ll be able to soon :)
FF''s planning to purchase the ring in the next few weeks, and says he has a date planned for when he wants to propose (which all I can get out of him is ''before Christmas'')!!! We''ll be together for 4.5 years on October 11th, I wonder if he''d do it then?

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I have the very same problem. I can range from a size 6.25 in the winter when my hands are cold, to a snug 7 in the heat of the summer. When I get a ring, it will have to be a size 6.65 (right between a size 6.5 and 6.75), and if it spins a little I''ll have small sizing balls put in. I''d rather be able to deal with a little bit of looseness than to be feeling the pulse in my finger.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results