carat
color
clarity

Deciding not to have children and coming to terms with it

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: Deciding not to have children and coming to terms with i

Allison D. said:
Most of the things you've said here lead me to think that in your heart of hearts, you don't want children.
I've never dreamt of being a mom
I don't have interest in knowing how my system works (not even to mildly increase chances of getting pregnant without artificial
intervention)
I'm meant to be around kids, but am I meant to be a mom?
I don't want to give up my career
I see how my friends struggle with work/family balance and do I really want to be in that position, feeling like I"m not giving either
100%

In my experience, when a person truly wants something, s/he can't help but actively try on some level (even subconscious) to make it happen.

Very nice post Alj. I just wanted to comment on a couple things. First, all of the sentiments that you listed are very common for people who do want children too. I am not saying you are wrong in this case about what they may mean when all put together, and Zoe can think on it herself of couse (not trying to put words in anyone's mouth), but just wanted to say that many many career minded independent women have all of those concerns and more about having kids.

Also, regarding the second point, I also respectfully disagree. My research actually centers on the ways in which people can persistently avoid pursuing and accomplishing their heart's desires -- be they kids, career, or relationships -- and I am constatly surprised at how good people can get at avoiding pursing things that are painful to potentially lose or fail at achieving. The thing is, when people avoid things utterly or deny their importance or self-handicap, it does not necessarily mean that the goal of kids/career/relationships does not exist for them. Indeed it may be a very very strong motive for them. It simply means that another goal, usually the goal of avoiding failure, hurt, and humiliation, is STRONGER at that point in time. For all of the most important goals in life there is a double edged sword to goal pursuit -- accomplishment would be amazing but failure would be devastating. So people typically experience a motivational conflict between truly desiring to accomplish something and at the exact same time truly fearing failure and wanting to avoid pursing the goal to avoid potential pain and loss. In my research, people are fairly split on whether they opt to pursue the goal or whether they opt to avoid failure, and people preferences tend to be fairly consistent -- some people are approach success types and some are avoid failure types. If a person is the latter type, and they are faced with a conflict between really desiring something and fearing failure, then their behaviour will utterly and completely NOT demonstrate that they actually desire to accomplish the goal. The only place where their actual desires for achieving the goal will be evident is in their moods, personal thoughts, and private moments when they let their guard down and admit how they truly feel. And even then some people will not admit it, even to themselves, because it is too painful. [You may wonder how we study it then :rodent: but that would be a whole other story. There are ways to remove some of the risk of goal pursuit thus revealing someone's true desires, and ways of getting around defenses etc]

So my point is that we cannot look at a person's behaviour in a situation of motivational conflict and ascertain their true feelings. And I think that Zoe is in a situation like that now. It may be the case that she truly wants kids and fears that she will fail at accomplishing the goal. OR it may be that she really does not want kids and fears the reprisals from others. In both cases, there is a motivational conflict between wanting to pursue a goal (kids/no kids) and wanting to avoid pain and suffering (from failure or from social recrimination). The only way for Zoe to know how she really truly feels is to try to ignore her fear-based doubts and anxieties, and in a safe and secure environment search her thoughts and try to identify her true goal in this whole scenerio. I suspect that fear and worry and anxiety is getting in the way -- but whether it is getting in the way of pursuing having kids, or getting in the way of embracing a child free life, only she can say.

Unless she wants to come into my lab and let me experiment on her 8) ::)

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock

Allison D. said:
Zoe said:
You have no idea how mad I am right now. I just spent an hour putting together a post to address the latest thoughts and advice, and I lost the whole thing. The ONE time I didn't save my post! I can't even deal with it now, but I will be back later. Thank you though, everyone!

Mara, I did want to mention on a completely non-related topic, that you and I have a common friend (from PS), and I'm not sure if you know that. She's a doll and I hope to see her again soon.

Be back later.

Um......SHE thinks you're a doll, too, and would love to plan a time to see you. She just has to know when you're free! LOL :devil: ;))

Well hi there! I hope it was okay that I said something. You can ream me out in person if needed. ;)) I'm free most weekends, so let's get in touch soon.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock

Zoe, I'm sorry to hijack your thread, but Dreamer that is so interesting! I definitely recognise some of my behaviour as avoiding failure, I just never thought of it that way before. Psychology is fascinating. Are there ways of getting over this and becoming an "approach success" type?

Thanks, sorry again Zoe, best of luck with your decision! I don't have any advice, but it is a good topic to discuss as I imagine there are many who struggle with this choice.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm so glad you posted this Zoe, because I'm kind of in the same boat as yourself... DH and I have always talked about our future involving kids, 'when' we have kids, not 'if', our kids will go to such and such school, etc etc. Now that we've been married for 3 years and our lives are so jam packed, we're all about career, house, travel... I'm now thinking 'if'. I just can't imagine life not being all about us (sounds so selfish, but that's how it is!).

DH works from home sometimes and often gets really irritated at interruptions like having to answer the phone, or if I ask him to do something for me, if he's deeply into his work, and I really can't seeing that sort of attitude transplanting into parenthood. Me on the other hand... I mean we could make it work, but if it's going to be a bit of a drama, should it even be considered? I just don't know. I think he's very much of the opinion that when baby is here, baby just has to fit in around our lifestyle, and I obviously have zero experience re. life with a baby, but my interpretation of parenthood is quite the opposite!

Sometimes I think when we've completed all we want to do on the house, travelled a bit more, things will quieten down and teeter out, and we'll be 'more' ready, if there's any such thing for us... but maybe not? I can't help thinking there will ALWAYS be something else we feel we need/want/should be achieving (for the record I'm 28 and he's 34, so there is plently of time biologically speaking!).

ACK, I'm so sorry to threadjack, I've just realised how me-centric my post is! :nono: I think I'm just relieved I'm not alone in my indecisiveness!! I've really enjoyed reading this thread and the fantastic advice that's been posted, so thankyou again Zoe xx

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock

I haven't had a ton of time to post lately, but I'll be back!

DandiAndi -- No need to apologize AT ALL. It's good to talk about, and it's good to know that this is a topic that others think about too. I mean, I know people think about having kids, but I also think that many people have kids because it's what's expected after getting married. It's just what you DO. My husband and I had dated for 5 years before we got married, and we were (almost) 35 and 36 at that point. A few factors (age and a couple other things) were things we had to think about before deciding to start a family, and we knew we weren't ready right away. Now time's ticking away, and part of me still doesn't quite feel ready.

I've heard so many people say "if you wait til you're ready, you'll never have kids." That's basically us. My husband got laid off a few months after we got married. He was out of work for 6 months. That wasn't a good time to try. Then we moved far away and things were still somewhat unsettled (we didn't know if we'd stay in our new area of the US for longer than a year). That wasn't a good time either. We moved back to our home state a few months ago, and even though I feel like it SHOULD be the right time now, I'm still so hesitant.

Porridge -- Don't worry! I love Dreamer's posts, and I want to reply to her and everyone else who I haven't gotten to yet, but I don't have a lot of time tonight. I'm going to set aside a chuck of time and go over the other replies soon.

tina sparkle

Shiny_Rock

i don't post that often on ps because i mostly only have time to lurk, but i feel compelled to post on this topic. i'm 55 years old and in my whole life i never thought about being a mom or having kids, but when i got pregnant in college my SO and i decided to get married and have the baby, it was the best thing i've ever done in my life. my daughter is the joy of my life and always has been. as a woman who never dreamed of babies i can tell you that having a child is the greatest thing in my life. it is indescribably fulfilling and the older i get, she and i are becoming more like friends. if you really don't want to have children that is cool, but if you care about other peoples kids--you will really love your own--they are family.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I agree that deciding to have kids isn't really a rational thought type of decision. Otherwise, pretty much no one would have them! Since getting pregnant, I have been more worried and anxious than I've ever been before in my entire life. I can only imagine how much more I'll worry as a mom when the baby is actually here, and then when he/she starts school, when he is learning to drive, when he goes off to college, etc. :errrr: However I think it'll all be worth it. DH and I are already in love with this little one now that he/she is on his way. BUT, if you asked me whether I thought it would be worth it a year ago, before I was pregnant, I probably would've said NO.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Zoe, Dreamer D wrote an awesome post and I hope you find a way to make a decision and find peace and comfort with whatever decision you make. I was never meant to be a mom, don't really like kids, was an abused child and feared I'd be an abusive parent. My 25th birthday present to myself was a tubal ligation. I was married when I made the decision to get the ligation. My husband and family were not pleased but I knew from the age of 9 that I would never have children and certainly made that clear to future husband & family for many years before I got snipped. Different strokes for different folks. Whatever decision you make, be sure it is the right one for you.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock

Okay, I finally have some time to sit down and address others who I hadn't yet.

Thank you so much Dreamer and Allison. Your words hit home and I appreciate your candor.

I will admit that seeing my own words in writing made me tear up a little (okay, a lot). If I say those things aloud, then they'll be true, and I don't think I want to admit to feeling that way. It's funny, I'm scared to have kids and I'm scared to not have them. Weird, right?

Dreamer, earlier in this thread you mentioned denial. Yep, I admit that I'm in denial about a few things (not just this issue). It's a hard place to get out of.

Part of the reason this is weighing so heavly on me right now is because my sister and her husband are separated because of this very issue. I don't want to go into more detail but it's hard on our whole family.

I've always done things later than everyone. I was the last of my friends to enter the (professional) work force. I was the last one to get married (in some cases, by YEARS). And now, I may be the last one to have kids, if that's the decision we make. Not that this means a whole lot because I know, obviously, that this isn't something to do because everyone else does it. I said this because this is part of my character, I suppose. Late bloomer. Analyze, analyze, analyze...

Thank you, Matata, for sharing your personal situation. We will make the decision that's right for us, but when that will happen, I'm not sure.

I know very few people who have decided not to have kids. They lead very full lives and they love children. They just chose not to have their own. When written out this way, I feel like I'm making this much more complicated than it needs to be. I feel like my whole world is full of kids because of what I do, so how could I decide NOT to have them as my own?

I feel like I might be talking in circles at this point. I truly, truly thank all of you for giving me (a random internet stranger to most of you) your thoughts/advice on this subject. I know it's personal and it's something that only my husband and I can decide, but it does help to get it all out here.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Zoe, good luck with your decision. I'm always last to do everything too. It's good - I want to be sure I'm doing what's right for me. The right decisions sometimes take a while to make!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock

I haven't felt that way but I suspect my best friend of 25 years does. I mean she kinda sorta admits she wants kids but there are huge layers of protective barriers that prevent her from admitting how much she WANTS them.

If you suspect you are burying your head in the sand about this, I encourage you to seek some counseling on this. It would be heartbreaking to admit how much you want them when it's too late. And maybe you'll find you don't want them and can come to a permanent peace about that too.

And it's possible that by leaving things loosely to fate you are avoiding the responsibility of making the decision to have a child. I can understand that, it's a heavy decision. One that if it can be made for you eliminates a lot of stress (in ways). But passively avoiding having a child while secretly hoping for an oops (not saying you are, just my tangent here lol) could potentially be a future landmine if there never is an oops and you discover you'd been banking on that all along.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You remind me a lot of my sister. She and her husband also married around 35. They were already used to doing what they wanted when they wanted. There was never a declaration about having kids or not having them. When they didn't have one in 2 or 3 years, I did wonder if they just didn't want any or whether they were trying and had not been successful. I certainly did not ask her, although I did ask my mother if she knew. Well, my sister got pregnant right before her 40th birthday and had the baby a few months into her 40th year and her husband was either 41 or 42. They had the one child and said there would be no others. They certainly adore their daughter. All I can tell you is that for the people I know including myself, there is a love that you cannot comprehend until you have a child of your own..either biological or adopted (because I have done both). I do not think anyone who dislikes children or who is unwilling to make sacrifices should have children. And some people love their career and decide they cannot devote time to a child. But as a teacher, I have always felt that teaching was the best possible job for a working mom because of the work schedule and the holidays and summers off.

I am still uncertain whether you have a inner desire for a baby but are afraid to try and possibly fail and then be heartbroken (as dreamer has described) or whether you just really don't want one and fear making the decision for some reason. But I sort of get the feeling that since you love your kids at school, you would love your own child a thousand times more. I hope you can get your true feelings sorted out so you can put this behind you or really actively try to get pregnant.{{{hugs}}}

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results