shape
carat
color
clarity

Deciding between two marquise

SJL

Rough_Rock
Hi all

I am new here but have been reading posts for awhile.
I am trying to decide between the following two diamonds to go into a ring that will be rose gold, half bezel.
I keep changing my mind between the two.
Any advice would be appreciated!

1714252425749.png

1714252491936.png

Attachments

• 6449320436-6985.pdf
    890.4 KB · Views: 166
  • 3216090413-6010.pdf
    890.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The best way for me to analyze marquise is to see how the facets light up as they move. Do you have any links to
up close videos?

SJL

Rough_Rock
The best way for me to analyze marquise is to see how the facets light up as they move. Do you have any links to
up close videos?

Thank you for replying. I have attached videos below now

HGar

Shiny_Rock
When I was researching marquises, I tried to keep to a depth of between 58-62%. I previously had a 0.3ct marquise with a noticeable bow tie which can be greatly affected by depth.

SJL

Rough_Rock
When I was researching marquises, I tried to keep to a depth of between 58-62%. I previously had a 0.3ct marquise with a noticeable bow tie which can be greatly affected by depth.

Yes, I read a lot about depth. 2/3 of websites seem to say 58-62%, then i saw some saying 61-67% is better. Then others say to look at the diamond as a whole...so it gets confusing.
I played around with table and depth dimensions on the James Allen website and to be honest, i couldn't see a huge relationship between depth and bow tie.
Did your 0.3ct marquise have a high depth %?

HGar

Shiny_Rock
Did your 0.3ct marquise have a high depth %?

Unfortunately I bought it way before Pricescope days when we were just happy to be engaged LOL. When it came time for an upgrade, that was when the research began.

Reactions: SJL

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer the faceting on the F. Most marquise will go dark through the center in bright light because these are the "good" facets that
reflect light well (will be red on an Aset image). Not a whole lot you can do about that. Some are better than others.

Do you have a link to the half bezel setting you are looking at (or a picture you can post)?

SJL

Rough_Rock
I prefer the faceting on the F. Most marquise will go dark through the center in bright light because these are the "good" facets that
reflect light well (will be red on an Aset image). Not a whole lot you can do about that. Some are better than others.

Do you have a link to the half bezel setting you are looking at (or a picture you can post)?

Thank you!
So would the ‘F’ stone in theory sparkle more?
What specifically do you look for with the faceting?

IMG_7434.jpeg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can not answer whether the F would sparkle more. These videos are not as "helpful" as the ones on more of an angle.
Both stones have the same number/position of mains so there is no difference in that area. The F looks ever so slightly
less mushy as the H but it could just be the focus of the camera.

Is there a reason you are so high on clarity? A VS level stone should be fine and may save you a little.

This is the kind of video that is most helpful.

SJL

Rough_Rock
I can not answer whether the F would sparkle more. These videos are not as "helpful" as the ones on more of an angle.
Both stones have the same number/position of mains so there is no difference in that area. The F looks ever so slightly
less mushy as the H but it could just be the focus of the camera.

Is there a reason you are so high on clarity? A VS level stone should be fine and may save you a little.

This is the kind of video that is most helpful.

Thank you!
I did sort of think when the stones are rotating, the F looks sharper than the H.

I did say to the jeweller I was happy to go down to SI1 if it was eye clean. I think it’s harder to get diamonds in my country and these were the ones they selected for me to choose from.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results