shape
carat
color
clarity

decide on whiteflash setting

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since all of you are way more obsessed about stones and settings than my friends/family, I was hoping to get some feedback.

I lost my anniversary ring that had a center stone just shy of half a carat. I miss my ring, and would love to replace with a whiteflash either ACA or expert selection .5-.6 center stone. I'm ok with not having accent diamonds in the ring.
Basically I want to get something that I can wear most the time and rarely take off.

Considering the size of the stone, which of these settings do you prefer?
in white gold
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/keystone-half-bezel-solitaire-engagement-ring-1105.htm

or platinum head, yellow gold band:
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/w-prong-diamond-solitaire-by-wf-160.htm

I like both. The first because I like semi bezel look and can imagine wearing all the time.
I also like the w-prong, because my wedding band is yellow gold and I'd prefer a setting with a yellow gold band. My last ring had a platinum semi bezel for the stone, on an 18K yellow gold band and I liked the durability/look of that and it would replicate that, plus the design has some interest to it without being overly fussy. Drawbacks is that it is a little more expensive, and I don't know if a half carat stone will be overwhelmed by this setting?

any comments?

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also i am inquiring whether the semi bezel was available in yellow gold (my preference). If it is not, do you think it is weird to wear a wedding band in yellow gold and diamond ring in white gold? Does anyone mix metal colors?

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tons of people mix metals for their rings, it's all personal preference. How long did you have your last ring? I like the semi bezel, but you might want to have something different if you had your last ring for quite a while.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wanted to give you an update on ring replacement.
Plan, is to get a .6 G SI expert selection diamond from Whiteflash. The one difficulty is choosing the setting. I want something that is durable enough for every day, but has a little bit of interest to it. I went into a store and tried on rings, and to my surprise liked the more delicate rings and also the white metal rings on my hand. My wedding band is a plain yellow gold band that I will never replace, but I don't care at this point if they match.

Here are top contenders. Given the size of the stone, and also that I want durability, any favorites among you? I am having a pretty severe indecisive moment. I'm trying to keep the whole thing 3K or less (the stone will cost around 2K).
(in white gold)
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/rounded-open-cathedral-diamond-engagement-ring-575.htm
Question: is bead setting durable enough for every day wear or will I need to baby this kind of setting?
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/engraved-cathedral-solitaire-engagement-ring-1162.htm
(in either all plat or plat head with yellow gold band). I like but think prongs look bulky...

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/w-prong-diamond-solitaire-by-wf-160.htm
(in plat head with yellow gold band). I really like this setting but don't know if a .6 stone will be overwhelmed by this setting?

I need pricescoper's help in making a decision!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
telephone I decided against the semi bezel, because I realize half of my rings are bezel or semi bezel style, want to try something different.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My favorite is the yellow gold band with the platinum head. I liked it the first time I compared the two settings you first posted. When I compared the three you just posted, it was my favorite of the three.

I grant you that I like yellow gold, but there is also something about the shape of the ring and way that the two colors of gold mesh that is pleasing to the eye, at least to my eye. Since I prefer yellow gold, I often (not always) have a yellow band with a platinum head when I set my diamonds. I do have one diamond set entirely in 24K gold: band and (complete) bezel. But that is the exception.

I will be following this thread with interest to see which setting you choose. Good luck!

Hugs,
Deb :wavey:

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks AGBF, I know both you and I are a lover of yellow gold! That is definitely one of the top contenders, and a classic and one I can see wearing every day.
What was surprising, is that both my kids like the all white metal ones I showed them, the rounded cathedral and the engraved cathedral. And in the store it seemed like I was drawn to the more delicate white metal settings for the diamonds, so I am kind of wondering about trying something different...It's too bad diamonds are not like people, where you can have your regular every day outfit, and then a fancy dress for those special occasions.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the first one (in the second set of settings you posted). I like how it sort of looks low set due to the cathedral sides.
It sort of has a casual contemporary feel to me.

The 3rd one is nice too. It has more of a mature feel to it to me.

Don't like the second at all due to the head on it.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both my sister, my MIL, and my youngest all voted for the rounded cathedral. It would be really different from most of my other jewelry, but maybe it would be nice to have one more "feminine" piece to wear... basically I think it's between that and the w prong. Sigh.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
part gypsy|1412614539|3762995 said:
It's too bad diamonds are not like people, where you can have your regular every day outfit, and then a fancy dress for those special occasions.

Well...you cannot completely change the band, but if you wanted to do something to make the look change from one day to another, you could. I did do that with my current solitaire. I wanted a very simple ring, so I had my solitaire made so that the band was so narrow it looked as if it was floating over my finger. Then I had two jackets made that I could slide on to give it a lacier look. I know you have seen this before. But if you wanted to, I am sure you could cook up something that would allow you to go more white or yellow depending on your mood. Whiteflash is very inventive and so are the good folks on Pricescope. ;))

Deb

_456.png

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
part gypsy|1412618347|3763031 said:
Both my sister, my MIL, and my youngest all voted for the rounded cathedral. It would be really different from most of my other jewelry, but maybe it would be nice to have one more "feminine" piece to wear... basically I think it's between that and the w prong. Sigh.

part gypsy-

If you do not love the setting, do not buy it!!! You do not have to do anything this second. You want a ring you will love looking at every day!!!

Deb

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know after I posted that, I did think about people using anniversary and other types of bands to make something "dressier". So that is Always an option (and nice to have that out, right? :Up_to_something: )

the problem is not that I don't love them, I actually really like both, for different reasons. Husband refuses to weigh in, but tells me Oldest DD votes for the w prong with yellow band. tee hee, her and I are so alike in some ways.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
part gypsy|1412623353|3763080 said:
You know after I posted that, I did think about people using anniversary and other types of bands to make something "dressier". So that is Always an option (and nice to have that out, right? :Up_to_something: )

the problem is not that I don't love them, I actually really like both, for different reasons. Husband refuses to weigh in, but tells me Oldest DD votes for the w prong with yellow band. tee hee, her and I are so alike in some ways.

My point was that preferring that W prong ring with the yellow band over the others (as it appears that your DD, you, and I do) and loving that ring are two different things. I think you have a right to love your new ring. I do not think you should be buying it with a post that sounds as if you have resigned yourself to something (a post with a "sigh" in it!) ;))

Warm hugs,
Deb

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, the sigh is in reference of how indecisive I feel right now.
I think, as a solitaire, the w prong comes pretty close to ideal for me, style wise.

The open cathedral is very pretty, and I love that it has the ACA melee, it is probably not my "ideal" style for a ring with accent stones(maybe a little generic?). For that, probably need to go to original jeweler, whose designs I love, but the melee cut quality is not as strict. Also it would mean more decisions, and waiting to wear a ring. Sometimes I love that process, but I'm not in that mindset (way too busy in other parts of my life) right now. But this setting would allow me to wear the stone now, and if I wanted to use all the stones in a different setting down the line I have that option.

Most likely getting either one I get I will be over the moon because Whiteflash items look better in person than on photo.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So where are you in all this? i don't want this thread to disappear into the mists!

Deb

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I am still being indecisive but emailed them that I want the w-prong. My oldest daughter actually liked the carved gold one, but again I don't care for the prongs. Husband weighed in and likes the w prong. I think my 2nd choice would be some version of a graduated 3 stone or 5 stone, but if did it through Whiteflash that would probably involve a custom order and most likely going over budget.

It's one of those things I shouldn't over-think. If in the future I want to reset the stone into something different, it wouldn't be the end of the world, right? :devil:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
part gypsy|1412691509|3763594 said:
It's one of those things I shouldn't over-think. If in the future I want to reset the stone into something different, it wouldn't be the end of the world, right? :devil:

Oh, I think we here on Pricescope would be willing to help you design something new for your diamond. We are kind that way. ;))

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you!
Well the order's been sent in (w-prong) and over anxiety and now to looking forward to it. My one concern with the w-prong was that my smaller diamond would look like a kid wearing his Dad's business suit, but Whiteflash assured me they custom make the head, so it should be proportional. I had never done a bank wire and it was weird. I sat at one of those desks, had to show 2 forms of ID, and they also called the bank manager, but as he was not there, another senior employee to come and shake my hand and check the numbers. They asked more than once whether it was an international wire. It was friendly, but that was, interesting.

In case anyone is interested, it is an "expert selection" ideal cut diamond, stats:
.60 carat G si 1
Depth % 61.7
table % 55.6
Crown Angle 34.7
Star 58.0
Pavilion Angle 40.8
crown % 15.4
Lower Girdle % 77
5.39x5.43x3.34

The primary inclusion is a small feather to the side; it looks like it should face up very clean.

_23053.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a beautiful diamond and I'm sure you are going to love the ring. :))

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I'm looking forward to seeing it all together!
My old ring had side stones so I'm a tad worried I'll miss not having side stones. However work is busy, we have so much stuff going on for the house right now project-wise, I'd rather make a decision to have a stone and beautiful ring to enjoy now, then to endlessly debate and not get around to it. Perhaps in the future if I still miss side stones and I have more time (and money-ha!) to plan, I can contemplate a re-set.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Email says they expect this to ship 10/15, that is fast! Excited I could get this next week!

The only problem will be sharing good photos. My camera is elderly and is able to perform routine tasks, but runs into difficulty focusing with movement, and close work (macro view).

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got the glamour shots and wanted to share. I think it looks beautiful but still a little nervous in that the setting is more for a larger sized diamond (that I picked the right setting). What do you think?

Also I'm between a 5 and 3/4 and a 6. This is in 6. Do you think I should have it slightly resized, or use sizing beads?

w-prong-solitaire-ring-in-18k-yellow-gold39349_0.jpg

w-prong-solitaire-ring-in-18k-yellow-gold39349_1.jpg

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thanks! Still a little nervous but i'll see what I think in person!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think its beautiful! Post some hand shots when you get it!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks beautiful. I would love to see hand shots, of course, but I am already convinced that this is stunning! Congratulations!

Deb/AGBF
:wavey:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
part gypsy|1413404119|3767535 said:
I got the glamour shots and wanted to share. I think it looks beautiful but still a little nervous in that the setting is more for a larger sized diamond (that I picked the right setting). What do you think?

Also I'm between a 5 and 3/4 and a 6. This is in 6. Do you think I should have it slightly resized, or use sizing beads?
I'd ask them to size it to a loose 5 3/4. I was told beads go in half sizes so I might avoid those. I have a ring in a "loose" size, its just essentially another 1/8

Also pur ring is just perfect. I looove yellow gold

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Neil, I've always been an admirer of your graduated 5 stone ring in your avatar, just wanted to let you know you have a secret admirer!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
part gypsy|1413464134|3767883 said:
Neil, I've always been an admirer of your graduated 5 stone ring in your avatar, just wanted to let you know you have a secret admirer!
Awe shucks lol :oops: thank you!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I received it. It is gorgeous. :love: I guess from changing from a full bezel to a slightly bigger diamond it is bigger and blingier looking, and yet more delicate than I expected. My hands look horrible and I couldn't really take any good photos but here is at least one. Very happy with it.

10_16_14_1180.jpg

10_16_14_1181.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results