shape
carat
color
clarity

Debeers/ Designer Jewelers better?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

susana0207

Rough_Rock
My boyfriend is now thinking of going ahead and getting the ring from DeBeers. Any thoughts on whether it is worth paying the extra? The ring I like could be made by a private jeweler, I think.

The salesperson at DeBeers emailed us and said they could get us the ring in his price range $10,000 - $15,000, and size, 1.5 Carats. Any thoughts on which way to go?

Would a DeBeers diamond really be better? Or should we have it made and get a larger stone for the same amount of money?

engagementring217790.JPG

Nifergirl7997

Rough_Rock
Hi.

There are OODLES of diamonds that you can search through here on Pricescope. 15,000 for a ring with 1.5 carats seems mighty high to me. Are there any surprise diamonds? The setting is beautiful, but it also seems to be pretty classic and simple. Is it platinum? I think you should be able to find a better price than that.

Here is a diamond I found through WF (I chose it only because it''s so much less expensive... the picture isn''t as clear as I''ve seen on other pictures from WF, though):

1.48 Carat EGL Certified Round Cut Diamond: G Color, VS2 Clarity

It''s less than $9000.

There are many others that are more expensive, and possibly better grade, but several fall below 10,000 and are beautiful!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recently found a fabulous GIA certed diamond for another poster from Whiteflash, a 1.5 carat round for less than 10k, so I would say the price is high, I don't know much about DeBeers as such, but I should imagine you would be paying a premium. I would think a great diamond with a similar setting is doable for around 12 thousand as a ball park. The setting looks a little exposed around the edges, you might want to factor this in. Personally I would choose a diamond from an online vendor with a superb cut and either go custom with the setting or find something similar. That setting would worry me, I would be afraid of knocking the diamond and chipping it - what about a larger bezel setting if you like that look? Remember diamonds aren't indestructable, a good blow around the girdle could chip it with bad luck
39.gif
There are a lot of bezel settings available, check out the settings sections of Whiteflash and Good old Gold under vendors and see what they have to offer.

susana0207

Rough_Rock
What is whiteflash? Also, how would I go about getting the ring made by a private jeweler without a picture of the "front" view, ie: how it is set.

What I like most about the setting is that it is set pretty low. I dont like the look of a "high" diamond. I also like how there "prongs" dont overtake the diamond.

I feel like alot of rings I see have these clunky, large prongs holding the diamond.

The Debeers ring was just so delicate and not "clunky" at all.

The woman at DeBeers told us that since the side clasps hug the diamond, they are curved, it is not a tension setting.

Any thoughts?

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
http://www.whiteflash.com/
The do amazing custom work. It looks like a semi-bezel setting to me, not a tension. I would send pictures to WF and see what they can do
1.gif

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/27/2006 12:58:44 PM
Author:susana0207
My boyfriend is now thinking of going ahead and getting the ring from DeBeers. Any thoughts on whether it is worth paying the extra? The ring I like could be made by a private jeweler, I think.

The salesperson at DeBeers emailed us and said they could get us the ring in his price range $10,000 - $15,000, and size, 1.5 Carats. Any thoughts on which way to go?

Would a DeBeers diamond really be better? Or should we have it made and get a larger stone for the same amount of money?
Too early to tell...

they are to young of a "JEWELRY" Company....

If they will survive the next 10 years...., their jewelry might still become Classic!!!

I dont thing they started on the right foot though, but that is just my opinion...

Let observe what "Neil Lane" can cook for them...

nigestar

Rough_Rock
Hi

I boughtt this same de beers ring for my fiance in london. proposed in canada and she loves it. i searched for ages finding something that was traditional and contemporary. found nothing else like it. ev everyone says ''they have never seen anything similar and how cool it is''.

the side profile is favourite part. and there is a matching wedding band

tracys126

Shiny_Rock
I''ve been looking for the same size stone and this price seems right across for the board for an ideal cut diamond in that size. I believe I am correct in saying the industry standard is that price (or maybe a tad lower) when you are looking at really well cut diamonds. But you can sacrifice in certain areas to lower the price.

I like this band a lot and saw it on another thread. I am dying to see how it looks on someone''s hand.

Best of luck!

Tracy

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ritany has a very similar setting, and I''d ask for custom work any day - it is not a very intricate ring.

The setting looks like it would leave the diamond exposed to damage, but... what else is insurance for
28.gif

1.5 cts & 10-15k. Well, what grades? Cut ?

H-I/VS-SI1 sound likely for ideal cut at 10k, and allowing a reasonable 2k for the setting (definitely enough for very good custom work, IMO) the diamond could get E-F/VS2-SI1 AGS0 - and that sounds very good indeed. If the offer from the sales guy matches, why not.

Case in point: 1.5cts F/SI1 AGS0 and 1.5cts G/VS2 GIA Ex. (HCA 0.8 - see ''Cut Adviser'' on top of this page).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results