shape
carat
color
clarity

David, Richard and Garry, please read my post in relation to the colour tone discussion started by D

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sunshines

Rough_Rock
hi Guys,

Your discussion was very timely as I had just collected an IVS2 1.22ct stone I purchased through the net which has the AGS Triple Ideal grading. It looks great on its own but when I put the stone next to another one I had of similar colourr, faced down against a piece of white paper, it has a darker tone than the other one...ie you can see its more greyish or brownish. Is this what you guys meant by a darker tone? I seeked the advice of a jeweller here and was told that it is a LB stone which affect the value of the stone. Can you guys tell me if this stone should still be considered an I colour with the "LB" problem? Your comments would be very much appreciated.

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
What is an LB stone
33.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The jeweller could have meant top light brown or light brown. Sunshine, hopefully the experts may log in this weekend and give you the advice you want.

Sunshines

Rough_Rock
Thanks lorelei, Yes that''s what the Jeweller meant....Light brown tone on the stone. I am eagerly awaiting the experts'' comments.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If they don't log on this weekend, keep bumping it so they will see it maybe on Monday
35.gif
Hopefully they should see it soon though

sunshine - do we have any pics???? I would love to see them pleeeeeeeeeze!!!!

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/1/2006 8:55:53 AM
Author:Sunshines
hi Guys,

Your discussion was very timely as I had just collected an IVS2 1.22ct stone I purchased through the net which has the AGS Triple Ideal grading. It looks great on its own but when I put the stone next to another one I had of similar colourr, faced down against a piece of white paper, it has a darker tone than the other one...ie you can see its more greyish or brownish. Is this what you guys meant by a darker tone? I seeked the advice of a jeweller here and was told that it is a LB stone which affect the value of the stone. Can you guys tell me if this stone should still be considered an I colour with the ''LB'' problem? Your comments would be very much appreciated.
Yes, some tones are graded on the D-Z parameters...

I am not familiar to much with the AGS, but the GIA usually notes the tone on their reports, for example "H" color with a comment "Faint Brown"

But a I color faint brown or grey tone could be a plus on the face-up appearance...., Face down against white paper will disclose its color base...

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/1/2006 11:39:32 AM
Author: DiaGem

. . . the GIA usually notes the tone on their reports, for example ''H'' color with a comment ''Faint Brown''
Really? I have never seen such a comment on a GIA report.

Until today (when reading the other thread), I always wondered why two stones of the same color grade could look so different. I always assumed it was the cut. I never considered that stones could have brown or gray or yellow tones that would account for this variation. I''m anxious to learn more.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I graduated from GIA in 1975 so take anything from my memory with a grain of salt... (yes, I AM a geezer, but I do constantly take continuing education courses so I am not totally out of touch...)

Whe I went to school at GIA we were taught that diamonds of light body colors were to be graded the same whether they were yellow, grey, brown, etc. The market normally discounts the browns and greys more than the yellows, but the grading of the tone of the stone is the same.

Wink

Sunshines

Rough_Rock
Thanks Wink and Diagem for your input. This is something which never crossed my mind until David''s posting recently. Even most diamond tutorial has no mention of tone so far........I wish this information had been made available earlier.....

Sunshines

Rough_Rock
Hi Lorelei,

Unfortuanately I dont have a camera that can capture the difference in tone .... sorry.....and just thinking aloud..... could the stone end up as I due to its body tone? It could be a higher colour face up but was graded by AGS as I based on the body tone of the stone?...... anyone has comments?

Sunshines

Rough_Rock
Hi Wink, could u advise if information on tone of stone is easily available if we asked the jeweller....do they even know in the st place

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results