shape
carat
color
clarity

Darn LOVE BUGS ....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

conitta

Shiny_Rock
Does anyone else here live where the Love Bugs are a nuisance?
29.gif
If not want me to send you some..lol!

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
IF you nead the ''coupled'' bugs that are gettin it on...and swarming all around...yeah we have them here...really not fun when you are stopped in your car and they ar on you windows...

conitta

Shiny_Rock
Those are the ones I am talking about. They are everywhere.They get all smushed on your car and OMG if you go very much or out on the road they can clogg the radiator.They are all over around my door to the house.They used to not be up the far but they are getting thicker every year.eekkk!!!
32.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
We have a bunch of them here too. I never noticed them until recently and are driving me nuts!!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We don''t have them here but we''re visiting my dad in Orlando next week and they always have swarms of them. SOOOOO gross!

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I''ve never even heard of these things! Are they found mostly in hot humid climates???

conitta

Shiny_Rock
You are so lucky you have never heard of these pests.They get all over your car.Here is a picture of them
lovebug_photo4.jpg

lovebug_photo1.jpg

And here they are on a headlight....

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
23.gif
23.gif
23.gif

Thank GOD I have never seen one of those. The flying roaches in Texas were heinously bad, don''t get me wrong. Ugh. Having flashbacks now!!

conitta

Shiny_Rock
These bugs are attracted to the gas fumes and the warmth of the engine and the roads.They can make your car overheat if enough of them get stuck on the grill.They also are acidic and can be bad for the paint on your car if not removed.We get to enjoy them twice a year.
29.gif
They don''t bite of sting or harm plants they just are a pain in the _ _ _ !

Anyway for those of you that are missing out on these BUGS here is some info on them....See what you are missing.......

"Love Bugs are Hard to Love," the Kudzu Monthly Last Word for May, 2002

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
OMG
23.gif
I don''t think I could deal with those buggies!!! DH got a job offer in Atlanta last year. He had to decline, because, being a born and raised SO CA girl, there''s no way I could take the bugs!. Well, that wasn''t the only reason, but, the bugs in the south did factor in! Good luck to all those dealing with "Love Bugs"!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fortunately, we only have two months a year when Lovebugs are in season. The first season is late May early June and the second one is September. So DeeJay.......look''s like you''ll be visiting Orlando during prime Lovebug season. Coastal areas are usually not too affected. Interior areas on the other hand like Central Fl., which includes Orlando have major swarms of the oversexed insects. They are not inidigenous to FL., and there are no natural predators for them at all. They don''t eat crops, or really cause any disease or anything. They just are born, become attached to another of their species, fly around all mated and if they don''t go splat on your car, they lay eggs for the next season. Lovely, I''m telling you, just lovely.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Those are some creepy looking bugs! I guess this is one advantage to living in a dry desert climate.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/18/2006 3:29:22 PM
Author: Rod
So DeeJay.......look''s like you''ll be visiting Orlando during prime Lovebug season.

Rod - We''ve never been successful and finding anything that keeps them at bay. Do you know of any bug sprays or candles or anthing that will make them stay away? Otherwise when we sit outside in the evening they are just EVERYWHERE...
40.gif

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/19/2006 9:29:43 AM
Author: Dee*Jay

Date: 9/18/2006 3:29:22 PM
Author: Rod
So DeeJay.......look''s like you''ll be visiting Orlando during prime Lovebug season.

Rod - We''ve never been successful and finding anything that keeps them at bay. Do you know of any bug sprays or candles or anthing that will make them stay away? Otherwise when we sit outside in the evening they are just EVERYWHERE...
40.gif
Sorry, I''m not aware there is really anything you can do, except to have one of those awful bug zapper machines, which fries every bug that comes in contact with it and you hear the zaps and even though you hate the bugs, you know another one was just fried......
23.gif
Orlando is like ground zero for Love Bugs, I''m afraid. There''s just something about the central portion of the state that is their prime breeding ground. Fortunately for us in Tampa, being coastal, we rarely get many.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was afraid that was the answer Rod, but I figured no harm in asking!

(Too bad The Demon isn''t going with us. There''s nothing he loves more than chasing down and eating bugs. Big fat buzzing flys are a particular delicacy for him!)

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/19/2006 11:51:33 AM
I was afraid that was the answer Rod, but I figured no harm in asking!

(Too bad The Demon isn''t going with us. There''s nothing he loves more than chasing down and eating bugs. Big fat buzzing flys are a particular delicacy for him!)
Sorry......if a dog ate one once, that dog would likely never eat one again. They''re too acidic and evidently not tasty at all........

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
we have them too! an actually, i never realized (or thought about it) until now that not everyone has them.
the only good thing about them is that they aren''t dangerous- annoying yes, but not dangerous. and trust me, i''m not a bug person.
they aren''t in full swing yet where here in louisiana, but they are a comin''

conitta

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/19/2006 12:41:42 PM
Author: jcrow
we have them too! an actually, i never realized (or thought about it) until now that not everyone has them.
the only good thing about them is that they aren''t dangerous- annoying yes, but not dangerous. and trust me, i''m not a bug person.
jcrow...Where in Louisiana are You? I am in Natchez MS and they are worse now than they have ever been. We used to not have them at all. My daughter had them at her house about 30 miles south of here.We used to never see them(oh i said that already). Ithink they are expanding their territory so maybe those of you that do not have them will eventually get them.They are just everywhere..can''t open the doors without them coming in or when you are outside you have to swatt them away from your face..they are just floating around...not buzzing.If you smash ''em they have an nasty odor.

How long do they last? Seems like they have been here for ever. The only natural enemy they have are the cars and trucks on the road.

conitta

Shiny_Rock
Just can''t wait till these stupid bugs are GONE! I sweep them out of my house.The weather is soooo nice out now and you want to open up the house but any little place they come in...soooo disgusting...Anyone know how long these things are out???? eeekkkkk

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/21/2006 9:24:51 AM
Author: conitta
Just can''t wait till these stupid bugs are GONE! I sweep them out of my house.The weather is soooo nice out now and you want to open up the house but any little place they come in...soooo disgusting...Anyone know how long these things are out???? eeekkkkk
conitta, the typical life cycle for lovebugs is approximately 6 weeks. Not sure where you''re located, but the season should be ending soon.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/19/2006 3:18:41 PM
Author: conitta

Date: 9/19/2006 12:41:42 PM
Author: jcrow
jcrow...Where in Louisiana are You? I am in Natchez MS and they are worse now than they have ever been. We used to not have them at all. My daughter had them at her house about 30 miles south of here.We used to never see them(oh i said that already). Ithink they are expanding their territory so maybe those of you that do not have them will eventually get them.They are just everywhere..can''t open the doors without them coming in or when you are outside you have to swatt them away from your face..they are just floating around...not buzzing.If you smash ''em they have an nasty odor.

How long do they last? Seems like they have been here for ever. The only natural enemy they have are the cars and trucks on the road.
smack dab in the middle. they''re out, just not in full force.

conitta

Shiny_Rock
They seem to be gone...sure hope so. I have never had them like they were this time.I had to sweep them out...eekkk!!!!!!! Can''t wait till spring....
29.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We went down to the pool this afternoon and they were flying around in the shade but not in the sun, so we figured, no problem. We went in the water but when we got out they swarmed us. Love bugs stuck to your skin with pool water--YUCK!!! They ended up all inside our clothes too when we tried to get dressed because they were stuck to us. Smooshed up love bugs inside your shorts and t-shirt--DOUBLE YUCK!!!

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
OMG disgusting! I hate bugs!!!

conitta

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/24/2006 4:48:33 PM
We went down to the pool this afternoon and they were flying around in the shade but not in the sun, so we figured, no problem. We went in the water but when we got out they swarmed us. Love bugs stuck to your skin with pool water--YUCK!!! They ended up all inside our clothes too when we tried to get dressed because they were stuck to us. Smooshed up love bugs inside your shorts and t-shirt--DOUBLE YUCK!!!
OMG that is a double yuck! Never had that problem stickiing to me. And just how bad do they smell when they are smushed????Hopefully ours are gone as there a few yesterday and have not seen any today. Oh Please Dont let them come back!!!!!

conitta

Shiny_Rock
They are gone from here!!!!!! Yippie

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results