shape
carat
color
clarity

Dark Skin, Warm Diamond?

angeline

Ideal_Rock
delight|1377066451|3507117 said:
That's a rather unique halo setting that props the diamond upwards. The warmth is pretty obvious given the white background it is set based on your 1st and second photos. Doesn't help that the setting makes color stands out and I think the diamond is too warm for my tastes. That's a GIA graded diamond?

At the end of the day it doesn't matter what people think but yourself.

I think this is a very off-putting and rude comment given that the poster is showing off her ring to us.

Anyway when I saw your ring (before I read the above comment) I only thought how white it looked, and how gorgeous it looks, and that you had nothing to worry about.

Congratulations on your beautiful new ring. I hope you wear it in much health and happiness.

a

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring is beautiful and looks lovely on your hand. Congrats on your engagement and enjoy your wedding! I was in Punta Cana last fall and absolutely loved it!

Hera

Ideal_Rock
caribbeanbridetobe|1377069435|3507119 said:
My husband bought the ring in Bogotá, Colombia (his hometown) it is egl USA rated. This is such a snooty site, thank you for the rude comments Kenny & other poster above me. We should all be so lucky to own a diamond.

Heyyyyy, don't bash everyone based on one unfortunate comment. (I didn't think Kenny was being rude, btw, just giving a general opinion.)
You might want to start a smtb thread so others can enjoy your pictures.

I think the color looks quite white on you.
Enjoy your ring :appl:

delight

Shiny_Rock
Tell me & be honest: does the warm diamond look good against my dark skin?

If you can't take honest, perhaps you state you only wanted to hear praise.

DiamondsNPearls

Brilliant_Rock
Of course I want to show off :)

nowicanseethemoon

Shiny_Rock
I think your ring is lovely and your diamond looks very nice on your hand. As with most things, you'll find people with every opinion under the sun. There are a lot of us who love lower colored diamonds, and some who really dislike them. I think you have to decide how you feel about it and to heck with what everyone else says! It's your ring and your opinion (and your fiancé's of course) are the only ones that matter. Congratulations on your engagement!

And I definitely think you should start a thread in Show Me The Bling with more pictures of your ring so we can all ogle it.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
caribbeanbridetobe|1377089694|3507166 said:
Of course I want to show off :)

You may want to consider posting a Show Me The Bling, as this is Rocky Talky. This is generally where people are going to take you at your word if you say be honest and give their opinion. But, it is just an opinion. If you like your ring, your opinion is the one that matters, as Kenny said. (And I don't really think he was being rude.)

One thing to keep in mind, is there is a lot more to a diamond than just the color and clarity hype that is sold to people at jewelry stores. Color and clarity are just the easiest thing for most people to understand about a stone, and so it's no surprise that is what most people understand. However, all that color and clarity that people are brainwashed with is to some degree sales tactics (in my somewhat newbie opinion, at least). It was all I was ever told about diamonds prior to learning more about them myself and I found that after I got over the scare tactics I found at jewelry stores, that I had my own opinions about color in a diamond, as opposed to what others thought I should think of color in a diamond and now I know my own preferences and tolerances.

It's also very hard to make a judgement about color in a stone from a couple of photos. Depending on what is around them, you can pretty much make a stone look however you like as they pick up colors from all over. If you want to get a really good representation of what color your stone looks like, try taking it outside, under a tree with filtered light and photograph it without flash.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
ame|1362796646|3400310 said:
I actually think your darker (and damn amazing) sounding skin tone is going to make that look whiter and brighter than my pasty gross whiteness. Do not fear. Wait til it arrives and try to not judge it based on its grade.

Exactly. And at the end of the day, OP, it's YOUR diamond.
So the only opinion that carries any weight whatever is YOURS.
I hope you are enjoying this exciting time in your life!!

Did you ever find out whether the diamond has fluoro or not?
I have a diamond with fluoro, and I LOVE it.
But I have a gf that is convinced fluoro is a 'bad sign'... each to their own :appl:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm glad you love it! It's gorgeous!!!

SMC

Ideal_Rock
It looks great on your long fingers! Congratulations.

luvmysparklies

Brilliant_Rock
Pretty ring and pretty hands! Congratulations and I hope you love your ring, cuz I sure do!! :love:

Oh, and it's always nice when people circle back and let us know how they made out afterall. Thanks to you!

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry that some of the comments offended you. Pricescope used to be somewhat more diverse in age and opinions than it is now. Don't let it bother you. Some people on here are kind of fixated on conformity. :lol: It's your ring, so you get to choose what you like. Congratulations! Enjoy it, be happy. :)

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
caribbeanbridetobe|1377093893|3507216 said:
Yes, it has fluoro :)

Ooh, in my view you are lucky!! :)

DiamondsNPearls

Brilliant_Rock
Ok guys, I might be crazy but I am thinking of downgrading the diamond from a 1.02ct to maybe a .75 or .50ct (I am leaning towards a half carat) have I completely lost it?
Should I wait awhile? Our wedding is not until next august... The size of the stone makes me feel a bit self conscious, what are your thoughts? I still love the ring & I definitely don't want to upgrade in the future. On the other hand, I am embarrassed to go see the jeweler or take it into a jeweler...

Am I over thinking it? Should I tell FI? I don't think he'll notice...

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
I think the ring looks great on your hand and I'd feel inclined to say to you, "just wear it with panache", feeling self-conscious is really just a state of mind and after wearing a ring for a while you quickly adjust to the size of it. However jewelery and the size of diamond for your ring is a really personal thing and you have to be happy with it. I think you are right to come onto this board and simply think your thoughts through.

caribbeanbridetobe|1377758844|3511724 said:
Should I tell FI? I don't think he'll notice...

This is adorable. Now if you think your FI won't notice may be a whole lot of other people won't notice either.

makhro82

Shiny_Rock
That's a rather unique halo setting that props the diamond upwards. The warmth is pretty obvious given the white background it is set based on your 1st and second photos. Doesn't help that the setting makes color stands out and I think the diamond is too warm for my tastes. That's a GIA graded diamond?

She got it and said she loved it. No need to tear it down. It's not YOUR ring...

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock
If your jeweler has a trade-in policy, and if you think you might find a ring/diamond you're more comfortable with, then it's worth it to have a look.

Is it just the size of the stone you're uncomfortable with? Or are you having second thoughts about the setting, diamond color, anything else? To be frank, if your second thoughts began with PS, then get them out of your head!

DiamondsNPearls

Brilliant_Rock
Just the size of the stone, it's 1.02ct n as u can see, I am a size 4 w slim bony fingers lol

DiamondsNPearls

Brilliant_Rock
Any thoughts? Should I contact a jeweler? I don't want to ruin the ring...

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FIrst, I think your ring is lovely, and to me it fits your hand well.

Are you within the return period for your ring, and do you have some time to think about it? If so, you might want to take advantage of that time and just live with the ring for awhile, especially if you want your engagement ring to be a one-time purchase - at least once you settle on a ring, that is :wink2: - and you don't plan to change it once you get married. You might find that you "grow into" the ring and become more comfortable wearing it over time.

On the other hand, if you're sure you want a smaller stone - for whatever reason - then go for it. We've seen many beautiful rings with stones that are less than a carat. You can see a lot of them - over 65 pages of them - in this thread:

https://www.pricescope.com/forum/show-me-the-ring/under-1ct-diamonds-t25028-1350.html

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
This may be a crazy thought... but...my idea was instead of getting a smaller diamond, would you consider having the centre stone set a bit lower into the halo? Maybe there is a visual 'thing' going on that if it were set lower, the diamond size wouldn't make you think it was as large, and you'd be comfortable with that ctw and not want to downsize? KWIM? did that make sense?? :loopy:

I think that the size of the setting AND the diamond look absolutely perfect on your lovely slim hands... IMO!

GreenBling

Brilliant_Rock
This size looks perfect on you! People here will tell you that diamonds shrink quickly. Mine felt too big when I first wore it, then a month pass and it started to feel right. Now, a year since I got it, it seems small. DO NOT DOWNGRADE it yet. Give it a couple of weeks. You'll get used to it soon.

rileyl

Rough_Rock
I agree with others' advice - wear it for a while. I'm in a similar situation, having upgraded from a .25c, which I wore for 25+ years, to a 1.13c, and I do feel a little self-conscious about my ring, but in a good way! I expect that in a couple of weeks, it will look completely normal to me (although I'm secretly hoping that it will always look "huge" to me! :D ).

I also agree that the colour of your diamond is beautiful, and the ring is stunning on your lovely hands. We should all be so blessed with such long, slim fingers!

Finally, I will share this - the first person at my office who saw my diamond admired it for three seconds and then said "that's quite a yellow diamond". It's a GIA rated M. It's vanilla flavoured to be sure, but yellow? No. And even if it were, I still have to supress a giggle every time I look at my ring, so who cares what she thinks, or for that matter, what colour it is? She's not allowed to borrow it anyway!

Give yourself some time to fall in love with your ring. I would lay odds that you will.

And congratulations on your engagement!

Linnie

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
I also agree with Energy. I think that you will experience Shrinkage within a couple of months even weeks of wearing the ring. I also agree that the halo should be lowered a little bit. Otherwise keep the size the ring is really pretty and it does look good on your hand and the size is fine. I have a small finger i am 5' tall and I wear a 3.66 emerald cut mega ring and i love it. Wearing it for 27 years as of next month.

DiamondsNPearls

Brilliant_Rock
When you mention the word shrinkage? What is that referring to??

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
DSS - Diamond Shrinkage Syndrome.

The 3 ct honker you just put on your finger on Monday and thought it was like wearing a coffee table on your hand....by Sunday seems so 'normal' that you think you should have bought a dining room table instead!! :wink2: :lol: Ok, perhaps I may be exaggerating a tad (ya think?? lol!) but the concept of what seems so huge when you first start wearing something, becomes visually 'normal' to the point where it may appear even smallish, over time, and you want something even larger now.

:)) Hope that helps!

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ugh. You should start re-reading your posts before hitting send. So rude.... :roll:

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would drop the center diamond down lower and call it a day. I don't think you need to downsize. :)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
angeline|1377077130|3507136 said:

I think this is a very off-putting and rude comment given that the poster is showing off her ring to us.

Anyway when I saw your ring (before I read the above comment) I only thought how white it looked, and how gorgeous it looks, and that you had nothing to worry about.

Congratulations on your beautiful new ring. I hope you wear it in much health and happiness.

a

I agree with angeline... a little uncalled for I think... lthough I truly think kenny just meant that different people will have different opinions, but the only opinion that you should be worried about is your own. :halo:

OP, I'm so glad you love your ring and that you love it!! I am an owner of a J color myself, and I love it! I love that it has character and throws out the prettiest pastel colors!! And, yes, I think we should all consider ourselves lucky to own diamonds! =)

Thanks again for posting, and wear your ring in good health!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results