shape
carat
color
clarity

Dark circle culet in H&A diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nichidawn

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

I recently purchased a lovely 1.23 carat F S12 (completely eyeclean) H&A from one of the vendors that posts here frequently. The diamond is beautiful, but over the last week or so I''ve been noticing a dark circle in the center of the diamond that moves about a bit as I move the diamond. It''s noticeable to me now from almost all angles, face down, from the side, etc especially on overshadowed days.

What''s going on with this? I''m wondering why this is showing up so prominently now? Perhaps because it''s dirty? Is this something that is common in H&A diamonds? I have the certificate and it states that the culet is "pointed".

55% table, 60.7% depth, pointed culet, 34.8 degrees crown, 40.8 degrees bottom part (forgot what it''s called at the moment), girdle is faceted .9% to 1.3%

Advise would be greatly appreciated. I''m taking it to a jeweler for appraisal today, and the return period is running out soon.

Thanks!

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
could it be a reflection off of part of the mounting that has accumulated grime? i had that problem with my old setting--

nichidawn

Rough_Rock
I just got it back from the jeweller, all clean now. The dark spot still shows but not nearly as much as when it was dirty. I''ve only been wearing it for less than 2 weeks, so it couldn''t have been all that dirty.

Does anyone else have this dark spot showing in the middle of their "ideal-cut" diamond? Any thoughts on this?

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I have it in both of my ideal cut stones. It moves when you move the stone, depending upon the angle of the stone. I think it''s just the spot where the arrows originate from. Maybe it''s the culet. It''s the very center of the stone when you view it from the top and then when you tilt the stone, it moves, right?

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Picture can help immensely. Have you tried looking under different types of lighting?

And a diamond can get significantly dirty in a week. I gave my g/f the ring on the 23rd. She got all excited and played with it for about a week. The next week, I took her and her mom back to the jewelry store. As a courtesy, they cleaned the ring and holy moly, the thing looked like it was glowing afterwards. After that experience, I am now in the market for a jewelry cleaner.

nichidawn

Rough_Rock
Yes, it''s in the center of the stone and moves around depending on how you tilt it. I don''t particularly like it because it''s so dark compared to the rest of the diamond, and in some lighting it actually appears quite large.

I guess I will invest in a good cleaner to minimize its appearance.

Do ALL ideal cut stones show this????

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results