shape
carat
color
clarity

Dan Stair - Spess Asscher "Baby"

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Last week, I was watching a movie I''d seen at least ten times, and doing a little bored browsing. I checked Dan Stair''s site and saw that his "NEWEST STONE!!!" box was this little beauty . . .

FPP-DSSpessAsscherListing.jpg

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
1. I love me some asschers.
2. My previous forays into the world of spess garnets had left me rather cold and gemless.

I was concerned about how small it was (I previously set my limit at 8mm), but . . . what can I say, I''m a sucker for an asscher. I debated a good solid one minute before dashing off an email like a madwoman hoping I''d asked about it first. That''s me, always envisioning a mad sample sale wrangle for each stone that catches my eye.

WHEW! It was mine, and it arrived yesterday. I opened it, yes, it seemed tiny, but immediately it started showing off . . . it must have been happy to get out of that envelope and into a good home!

***I don''t know if . . . oranges are hard to photograph, or it''s garnets, or if I can blame my four year old point and shoot camera. It seems to photograph a little darker than what I''m seeing, and there''s just no way to translate it''s fiery little dance. End Disclaimer. I Love This Stone!

FPP-DSSpessAsscher1.JPG

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Shading it from the sun a little -- a little blurry, but a good color approximation.

FPP-DSSpessAsscher2.JPG

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
More shading, a little better detail.

FPP-DSSpessAsscher3.JPG

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
I accidentally blasted it with the flash here, but it hints at the fiery dance a little.

FPP-DSSpessAsscher4.JPG

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Here, it was sitting in our office, which is on the side of the house that doesn''t get direct sun. No overhead light. "It''s Electric, boogiewoogiewoogie!"

FPP-DSSpessAsscher6.JPG

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Surprisingly, not a bad size on the hand. Does it mean I''m lifting the usual 8mm rule? No.
9.gif
But this exception didn''t fail me.

It had obviously twisted around here, but it''s odd -- the 8mm setting that I''d bought for the 8mm topaz asscher fits this 6.28 almost perfectly.

Can''t decide what to do . . . plain setting here, or do I break my rule and do one of the LOGR "Legacy" halos. Can''t decide.

I can''t actually decide for a while. I was so excited about this little baby asscher that I committed myself to buying his other spess, very clean, emerald cut. No settings for a bit! It should be here soon . . .

FPP-DSSpessAsscher7.JPG

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
36.gif
Oooooo thats really gorgeous!
30.gif
That stone can go either way, so its about how much presence you want it to have. Mine is a white gold solitare with diamonds on the shoulders, but my stone is also nearly 8mm. if you went with a halo, just make sure its not too big.

I find when they''re this color they are VERY hard to photograph!

-A

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Love it!

I think this stone would allow some bling around, but don''t overdo it - or overdo it if you feel like it
9.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful Fiery! I love it!

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, what a beautiful stone! Glad that you''re still loving it despite it''s smaller size. Looking forward to seeing how you eventually decide to set it.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Nice stone. Looks like it has a great deep well look. Nice color, too.

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
Wow, what a lovely stone! The color is out of this world!!!!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very very pretty. Congratulations.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wooo! That is gorgeous!!! Love it!!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

I''m kind of liking the plain setting, but if size will be an issue, I''d halo that puppy!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I saw that one! I''m glad someone fab got it!

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
Usually I''m not a fan of Asschers but yours is amazing. I love the colour and the cut really shows off the stone.

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Arcadian -- Thank you -- It IS crazy hard to photograph them! I''ve been wondering about a really fine little tiny thin halo all around. Very delicate so as not to overwhelm. But in all likelihood I''ll set it as a solitaire for a while until I can find someone that could do it well . . . and that wouldn''t break my wallet. I''ve already vowed NO MORE STONES until at least January 2010!! LOL

Ma Re -- Thank you -- Hehe, moi, overdo? Home of the 12mm asscher??? Never!! Whatever gave you that idea . . . hehe
9.gif

Geckodani -- Thank you -- I hope I didn''t step on any toes!

D&T, Austen, FlyGirl, Princess, LD, LTP, and OddOneOut -- Thank you! I am very lucky, I love it.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
ooooooh, that''s a beauty!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Very nice! This setting or the lotius setting will be lovely.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
How pretty, you lucky girl!

mochi

Ideal_Rock
I love it, it''s gorgous!!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful stone! I also saw that on Dan''s website and *almost* pulled the trigger- i love the color and cut but I need to save money for settings! I''m so glad it went to a PSer though. I can''t wait to see it set.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty stone. Spessartite is so sparkly too.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats on a pretty new stone!

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you, Porridge, LG, Glitterata, Mochi, Sarah, Marcy, and Yingh!

I think I spent a collective hour last night playing with it and flashing it at a mirror to see the fire -- somehow with the overhead lighting it acted out for the mirror much better than me. If that''s the case still when set, I might catch quite a few eyes with it. LOL

So tell me -- could I expect a rhodolite garnet to have this same flashy intensity? Or is this not a trait of all garnets?

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/3/2009 4:23:35 PM
Author: fierypyropixy
Arcadian -- Thank you -- It IS crazy hard to photograph them! I''ve been wondering about a really fine little tiny thin halo all around. Very delicate so as not to overwhelm. But in all likelihood I''ll set it as a solitaire for a while until I can find someone that could do it well . . . and that wouldn''t break my wallet. I''ve already vowed NO MORE STONES until at least January 2010!! LOL

Ma Re -- Thank you -- Hehe, moi, overdo? Home of the 12mm asscher??? Never!! Whatever gave you that idea . . . hehe
9.gif

D&T, Austen, FlyGirl, Princess, LD, LTP, and OddOneOut -- Thank you! I am very lucky, I love it.
Nope! Not at all - I was thinking about emailing, but decided against it. I''m just glad a PSer got it so I could see pictures!!!
3.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/4/2009 11:04:31 AM

So tell me -- could I expect a rhodolite garnet to have this same flashy intensity? Or is this not a trait of all garnets?
I''m sure our expert cutters could manage an (almost) equally sparkly rhodolite, but R. I. of a rhodo is a bit lower than that of a spess so it probably wouldn''t be as lively. Who knows, the difference might not be very obvious at all.

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/4/2009 11:09:09 AM
Author: geckodani
Date: 11/3/2009 4:23:35 PM

9.gif

Nope! Not at all - I was thinking about emailing, but decided against it. I''m just glad a PSer got it so I could see pictures!!!
3.gif

Ok, whew, good.
17.gif

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/4/2009 11:15:41 AM
Author: ma re
Date: 11/4/2009 11:04:31 AM

I'm sure our expert cutters could manage an (almost) equally sparkly rhodolite, but R. I. of a rhodo is a bit lower than that of a spess so it probably wouldn't be as lively. Who knows, the difference might not be very obvious at all.

Thanks Ma Re - Alright, so this stone probably would not have . . . what I think of as the knife edge fire that shoots out of the spess garnet when it grabs on to some random light source then?

fpp - rhodo cushion.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results