shape
carat
color
clarity

D Girls: If you had a chance to upgrade to another color for larger size, would you?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jewelgal

Shiny_Rock
We have been looking at diamonds lately as I am upgrading. I developed this hang up on getting a "d" colored diamond.
I love the crystal clear water look from all angles. I know that if I do choose to go with a D vs a G, I will pay for it and
have to get a smaller size diamond. (which is now making me look into fancy cuts instead of round)....(radiant?) (1.60 ct. range)
My question is, if you have a D diamond, and you had a chance to get a bigger size by going to another color,
would you? Which color would you choose and why?

Also, I''m curious to know.....
1. What caused you to choose the D over another color during your decision-making process?
2. Are you still happy with your decision?
3. What do you enjoy about this color?
4. Do you notice a difference in color when comparing diamonds to a friends, for example?

I am excited to hear other perspectives on this. Budget is $10,000 for the stone Or Less and no more than $2k for the setting. I have been quoted approx. $10,500 for a 1.60 radiant, D, and not sure if going up to a G will be worth it, when I love the beautiful clear effect that I have been hung up on! Still totally Unsure of the shape, by the way! If it''s a round, then I want it in a square setting. All very overwhelming!

Thanks for participating!!!
35.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/24/2006 6:57:22 PM
Author:jewelgal
My question is, if you have a D diamond, and you had a chance to get a bigger size by going to another color,
would you?

Yes, I would.

Which color would you choose and why?

Now that I''ve had the D, I''d probably stick to colorless (D-F), though I would go to a G, especially if I found a nice rock with some med blue fluor.

1. What caused you to choose the D over another color during your decision-making process?

When I called the stone in, I thought it was a G. Only when it arrived did I realize it was in fact a D. Sort of a happy accident (serendipity).

2. Are you still happy with your decision? Absolutely.

3. What do you enjoy about this color? I am whitey white white skin tone. Mara made a statement the other day about being darker skinned and having warmer color stones look nice and bright white on her. It''s true. Being a pale ghost, I''m sure the colorless thing helps with my skintone. The D is so blinding white, I just love it. I had an I color stone. I could see some color in it, and it bothered me.

4. Do you notice a difference in color when comparing diamonds to a friends, for example?

Yes, I have. I saw an H pear next to my D....could see color in the H easily when side by side.

I am excited to hear other perspectives on this. Budget is $10,000 for the stone Or Less and no more than $2k for the setting. I have been quoted approx. $10,500 for a 1.60 radiant, D, and not sure if going up to a G will be worth it, when I love the beautiful clear effect that I have been hung up on! Still totally Unsure of the shape, by the way! If it''s a round, then I want it in a square setting. All very overwhelming!

35.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
the difference between a ''d'' color of one cut and a ''g'' color of another cut may look quite different. radiants were originally cut to concentrate color. that is why you see so many fancy colored diamonds cut as radiants. rounds tend to hide color, and well cut rounds do an impressive job of it. if you are considering changing colors, you absolutely have to consider what role cut will play in your decision.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium

would you?

I have a 0.74ct D color RB with strong blue fluoresence. Yes, I would consider dropping color to get a larger size, but I don''t know if I would miss the D - I probably would!

Which color would you choose and why?

No idea - I think I''d be ok down to an F in another RB ideal without any issue. I can see color in a G, but never having had an ideal of any color other than D, I don''t know how I''d like it. My G color RB is 0.51ct, not an ideal, but a 60/60 with good light performance, and I can see color in it - I saw color in it from the top down more than from the side back when it was in an open-side setting, and now that it''s in a basket that covers most of the pavillion I can still see color in it top down, especially from a slightly tilted angle.

That said, I also have my great-grandmother''s OEC which is probably somewhere in the K-L-M range, and I LOVE the "ivory" color from the top, but it is visibly unwhite from the side. Definitely opens my eyes to the possibilities of another color class -

I could see color in my G, and it bugged me!

Happy? Yes - I really do like the cool tone of the stone - the open setting it is in now really highlights the lack of color. Do I wish I had chosen a bigger stone over higher color? Sometimes...

The cool tone - especially with it''s SB fluor it does look almost blue sometimes, but I really like that!

No one I know is as "into" jewelry as I am, so I don''t often compare in an obvious manner, but believe me I do look at EVERYBODY''S rocks! And I can see color - for instance there is someone I know with a multi-carat princess cut that has some obvious (to me) body color (I''m guessing H-I), and it looks yellow to me in her platinum setting - that would bother me, but it isn''t my ring!

I''ve heard numerous people say that D''s look fake to them - and I certainly don''t want my stone to look fake! If I chose to put a stone into a bezel for example, where the pavillion would be obscured, then yes I''d consider dropping color with no hesitation.

I also have heard numerous people state that fancies don''t hide their body color as well as an ideal Rb (I''ve also heard the opposite recently in that asschers do not behave this way if they are well cut - that they actually face up whiter like an RB) - I think a lot of it has to do with your sensitivity to color, the setting into which the stone will go, and the quality of the cut of the shape you choose! Lots of variables -

f0rbidden

Shiny_Rock

I picked it because I could tell the difference between the colors, and I didn''t want the warmth that the other colors showed.

That''s an easy one for me - since I don''t actually HAVE my ring yet - YES!!!

On the ''outside'' ie: to view the diamond, I adore it''s lack of color. I love that it''s bright and white and colorless. On the ''inside'' I love knowing I have a D color diamond - that''s the ''mind clean'' thing to me.

can''t say that I ever have compared a diamond to someone else''s, nor do I expect to.

NO!!!!!! no way, no how, under any circumstances would I choose a lesser color. Size doesn''t matter to me. I wanted the best cut I could find and the highest color and clarity I could afford. The only compromise I considered was an E color, but when push came to shove, the .01 or .02 carat difference allowed wasn''t worth it.

Small

Brilliant_Rock
I own a .81 D SI2 marquise diamond.

My husband picked it for me. I told him to make sure he bought a D-F color for the marquise as I felt it needed to be colorless to make up for the lack of sparkle with the cut.

For that diamond, yes absolutely. I did however just get a RB that is a G and although I can see a slight color difference between the D and G it''s not enough for me to warrant paying the high premium that comes along with a D. I''d go for an ''H'' or ''I'' possibly ''J'' as long as they all face up pretty white.

Well for me, I enjoy the pure white color in this marquise. Especially in its new platinum setting sans the yellow gold (I had two toned setting before) it looks extremely white. I think it sticks out tons.

I don''t compare. I did compare it to my RB and there is a difference but it''s very slight and not something anyone would detect. My G faces up really white and I''m enjoying it immensley!

Absolutely! I would not do it on the marquise but then I wouldn''t get a bigger marquise or choose it again. I love my stone but the marquise just isn''t brilliant so as I did upgrade it was to a ideal cut RB. I have to say that when everyone says ''cut is king'' they aren''t lying! This RB that I have has blown me away. People say that an SI G-H is the sweet spot and they aren''t lying! I love my ''G''. Would I consider lower color grades...sure! H-J I would consider. I''d go with an H no problem then with the other two colors I''d have to see them and analyze them in order to say for sure but I''d never discount them or looking into upgrading with those colors before seeing them first.

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
For me in depends on the type. I have a D asscher and appreciate the D in that cut because it is so clear and deep as a cut.

I have a 1840''s OMC in the color N in its original yellow gold setting and I love it. I prefer warmer colors in OMC, OEC, cushions. Candlelight glow....yummy.

For an ideal RB, I think I would be fine somewhere in F-G, but I''m not sure.

Defintely I would go the lowest clarity I can stand with the highest color I can afford, if it the type of stone that I think looks best colorless.

For my asscher, I''d do a D again in a heartbeat.

The VVS2 I''d change...when it took a master appraiser fifteen minutes to find one of the two pinpoints, that''s too picky for me. I''d find a VS2 or a Si1 if it was magically placed and only I could find it.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

$10,500 for a 1.60 radiant, D, and not sure if going up to a G will be worth it, when I love the beautiful clear effect that I have been hung up on!

What happened with E and F. If colorlessness is what you are after, I'd keep it D-E without any trace of remorse.

'Clearness' makes me think of a step cut... or an old one.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi! I would never trade a D for a lesser color. I would only trade a D for another D. But I''m extremely color-sensitive.

Allium

Rough_Rock
Color difference is less apparent face up and even more so after a stone is set so why not go with F if size matters to you? The D thing is probably more mental for you but practically speaking, I doubt you''d find an F not white enough.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I have a 2.00 carat D and I would not go lower in color to get a bigger diamond. This may be because I already have a sizeable diamond though. If I had a half carat D, I might feel differently. I got a D because I am color sensitive. Also, I absolutely hate any hint of yellow in a diamond. If I had a lower color I would be staring at it from the side all day. Also for me, it is very psychological. I like to know it is completley colorless in my mind as well as in my eye. So even if I had found an E that looked exactly the same to me, in my mind I always would think it was inferior. I absolutley notice a difference in my diamond VS other women's. I guess that is because color is the first thing I look for (not sparkle like alot of people). I am much less picky about clarity, having gone down to a VS2. Of course, I have never seen my diamond's inclusions, even under the loupe but if it had a small visible speck, I would just consider it a beauty mark by which I could ID my diamond.

squarediamondlove

Shiny_Rock
I have a 1.97ct D color princess and would definately not consider going down in color to get a larger size. Besides for me, I would pay more for a 2ct G VS1 than I do for my stone b/c mines is just below a 2ct but faces up larger than most 2ct. However as Jazmine said, if I was dealing with a 1ct princess, I may go down in color if the difference in size was substantial (e.g. I would pick a 1.9ct G over a 1ct D). It was actually not my decision to get a D, but my fiances. However I can't be anymore happier that he choose the D b/c I am extremely color sensitive. I just love viewing the diamond form the side its so much whiter than my setting and looks like it pops out of it b/c of the colorlessness. I also love the white crisp icy look of it that I think fancy stones really benefit from. I was previously engaged and had an H color marquee and I hated the yellow tint to it (I was only 18 at the time and didn't actually know that there was such a thing as color; I just knew that it was yellow but I didn't know why). Another thing that is nice with having a D is that if you are concerned about color (which you seem to be) you will never second guess yourself on whether you see tint in your stone - gives you a peace of mind. I have heard some PS's panic if they see color in their diamond and then compare other colorless diamonds they have in their homes just to see whether it was the lighting. I never feel like my stone is tinted, I never second guess myself, it always looks really white and I always admire that. Also, and this is just me, I think its easier to not ever have it than to get a D and then sacrifice it for an H.

You do really really notice the differrence when you compare the stone side by side and others see the difference too. When apart it may not be as apparent, but I like the D not because its apparent to others but b/c its apparent to me. If I wanted to go bigger and could if I lowered my color, I would then go down to a G color, but I don't think I would go down any lower.

leeenie

Shiny_Rock

I have an E, but I can''t see any color in it. I would be open to getting a lower colored stone for something larger. Probably G, maybe lower but I haven''t inspected any of those in person. I actually like when my stone looks warmer because of the colors in the room - more than when it looks bright white - just the table though, not the side. The
"warmth" combined with sparkle looks really pretty to me.

1. What caused you to choose the D over another color during your decision-making process? I didn''t pick it.
2. Are you still happy with your decision? Not really.
3. What do you enjoy about this color? The lack of color from the side - I don''t like seeing yellow on the side, because it just looks dead, and you look at the stone from the side a lot when you''re wearing it.
4. Do you notice a difference in color when comparing diamonds to a friends, for example? It''s easy to see color from the side of peoples'' stones which is always how you see them unless you ask them to show you their ring.

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock

My question is, if you have a D diamond, and you had a chance to get a bigger size by going to another color, would you? Which color would you choose and why?
I have a 1.6ct D color VS2 diamond from Whiteflash''s Expert Selection. If I were to go up in size, I''d consider D and E and possibly F, but would have to compare side by side first, to see if I was comfortable with it, since I love my D.

At the time my fiance was adamant the diamond had to be colorless and after seeing a friend''s E color stone, I was convinced too. WF''s inventory at the time of purchase was low for the 1.75ct to 2ct range, so we settled for a gorgeous 1.6ct D, knowing we can upgrade later.

Very happy with the diamond, but unhappy that it''s made us LOVE the D color and it''s now difficult to consider any lower color.

The diamond is icy white and looks so crisp because of it. It really stood out from well cut F color stones we viewed at the same time. I find the contrast in color against the skin is breathtaking. It really makes a stone stand out from afar - that brilliant white is amazing.

I notice color in other diamonds, but haven''t specifically compared mine side by side, although I''d like to, but don''t want to appear rude. I''m just curious and would love to see the difference, but it would have to be a comparison with the same quality cut stones.

solange

Brilliant_Rock
If a stone is extremely well cut, I find that the color is not that important to me and it does not seem to be that noticeable to most others.

If I were buying a stone under 1.5 carats, color would be more important as there isn't as much of a difference in price as in larger stones.

I have a beautiful three stone OEC ring with thee large stones totalling over six carats. The stones shoot out large rainbows of color and they are somewhere between K-m--not really sure. The ring is from the 1920's I think and there are not too many high color stones seft from then because many have been recut and high color did not seem to be readily available. Clarity seemed most important.

My upgrade is 4.10 I color in a great cut thanks to the help and advice from Lesley and Brian of Whiteflash. To me the large, sparkly surface is so pretty. The color is somewhat masked by the cut. I wore my ring into several jewelers just to compare color and it did not really appear dark.A few jeweles guessed it was a G or H. I get many comments on the ring when I wear it. A lot depends on the lighting and my stone is very sparkly in most lighting conditions.

I have friends who have stones I know are better color than mine. However, since few people know about cut--I certainly did not until I came to Pricescope--my stone attracts more attention than smaller, whiter stones because of the sze. Very few people, other than some on Pricescope, can judge color but everyone can see size and sparkle. My stones are all set fairly deep and I see very little, and no yelow, at the pavillion which hardly shows.

If I were given a choice in seeing well cut stones next to each other in the same cut I might have chosen an F or G over the I but in a stone this size there is a vast difference in price just to go up one color. I did see a D, F, and G next to each other in Tiffany and, at least in their lighting, I picked the G over the D as being whitest.

Cut is most important and I have sacrificed color for size with no regrets. I do not wear my ring outdoors much except for special occasions but I wear it every day in the house because I love looking at it. You can see my rings if interested in size over color, in Show Me the Ring under my name. To each his own. We all have different priorities and sensitivities. Only a few of my friends have even seen my ring. I bought it for my own enjoyment and not for any other reason.

sparklelover

Rough_Rock

No. I kept my 1.04 D stone and set in a pendent. Caughed up $$ for another 1.60 H stone.

I love the icy white sparkle. I have lighter toned Asian skin, I love the D-E-F color sparkle against my skin to offer strong contrast.

Yes. I even upgraded my stud earings from H to D-E recently.
See answer for #1.
I can see the difference between my D and H, even though the D is an AGS 1 cut and H is AGS 000. My earings 1.07 tcw are D-E ideal cut blazing like crazy, I can see other people''s lower color/cut quality earings right away without getting caught looking.

ChooChoo

Brilliant_Rock
I''m cheating a little because my stone is an E, but I would never trade it for a bigger G or lower (I would trade it for a bigger F if I couldn''t see the difference side-by-side, but I can definitely see the difference from my E to a G at Tiffany''s).

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I already had a 2.05 D-VS2 Oval and later recieved a 3.01 F-SI1 Pear from Websailor. F-SI1 is my sweet spot
(F in the lower colorless range and SI1 still eye clean).

At the time I was looking for an F, but ended up with the D because I was impatient.

I was happy at the time, but wasn''t happy with the premium I had to pay for the D versus the F.

I did like its icy whiteness. However an F is fine with me too.

Side by side, I could tell the difference between the D and the F. Once, a neighbor (who had
a 3.71 J) did remark on how "white" my diamond was compared to hers. Websailor noticed this
too (pre-Pricescope). A GG/CG friend of mine said that F was her sweet spot too.

jewelgal

Shiny_Rock
First I must apologize for not responding sooner! I updated my password and email over the weekend and just was able to log in today! Yippee!

All of your responses have been so thorough and I enjoy reading them. I love the format - you answered right below the questions - that''s great! Anyway, I guess I''m not crazy then, loving a white stone, and I think it is fascinating that many D girls can see color in F even - because I can too!

With regards to the radiant, I never realized that it "concentrated" color - that''s why they love it for pink and yellow diamonds, I guess. That''s amazing - then I''d really need a D for that particular cut.

I saw an F round this past weekend and a princess cut - a G and I definitely could see the difference. Again, like most of you said, if you''re not putting your hand next to someone elses, you probably would never even notice.

I hope you all can post some pics of your fabulous D''s!!!!!

Kay

Ideal_Rock
We have been looking at diamonds lately as I am upgrading. I developed this hang up on getting a ''d'' colored diamond.
I love the crystal clear water look from all angles. I know that if I do choose to go with a D vs a G, I will pay for it and
have to get a smaller size diamond. (which is now making me look into fancy cuts instead of round)....(radiant?) (1.60 ct. range)

35.gif
I have a 1.17 D marquise, and I absolutely would not trade this stone for a larger size in a lower color. That is an easy decision for me to make though, because I would not want a larger marquise than I already have. The 1.17 looks huge on my size 4.5 finger. It actually makes me self conscious sometimes because people comment a lot on the size -- they guess it is 2-3 carats because they do not know marquises look larger for their weight than RBs. Now, if you forced me to choose between my current size in a G or a significantly smaller stone in a D, that would be a much tougher decision. I would not want to go higher than an F in a marquise, but am considering a G in a RB for a pendant to get closer to the 1 carat size w/o going over budget.

To answer your other questions, I was initially looking for an E because I read it is nearly indistinguishable from a D (D & E are supposed to be the 2 color grades closest to each other) but E costs less per carat. It was very hard to find marquise stones that met my cut requirements. Whiteflash found a D and an F that met all my requirements and sent them both to me to preview. The D just "spoke" to me, and it looked whiter to me than the F. The D was within our budget, it was as large as I wanted, it was eye-clean, and it was a Class 1 cut; thus, I didn''t feel I was sacrificing anything or paying a premium to get a D. I love the icy whiteness of my D. I still get a thrill looking at in under different lighting conditions. (DH calls me his little magpie because I will just sit and stare at my sparkly "precious" sometimes.) I can tell the difference in color in friends'' rings, but I would never say so to them.

jewelgal

Shiny_Rock
30.gif
Ahhh D diamonds.....is there anything better? I actually have a set of G diamonds (see my avatar) and people compliment how "white" they are. They never look yellow, but the old setting in certain lighting makes the whole thing look grayish ---
32.gif

I also have my original engagement diamond that is an I-J color.... with flouresence. This is not as white as the G set
and I definitely spent years cleaning it and cleaning it and trying to admire it in certain lighting to be happy with it, but you know what? It''s not WHITE at all and it stinks. It is also set in a basket-type setting and maybe that has something to do with not much sparkle, I don''t know. I think this is why I am becoming obsessed w/ the d''s.....spring water, ahh
18.gif

I know that it will be much more money, but the color & cut mean the most before size. I can deal with a 1.40 i guess.
(upgrade after years) and a nice setting. I am hoping for a D in an ideal cut. I also love OEC''s, and radiants. So much to consider. I always think about the future too & wonder if I change the setting, how will the round go??
19.gif

I appreciate all of the responses to my post here. (:love:)

I hope some D girls post some pics of their "ice." !!
35.gif
35.gif
30.gif

f0rbidden

Shiny_Rock

no way, no how, not under any circumstances would I choose a lower color to get a bigger size.

I can actually SEE the difference and I love the bright white, completely colourless look.

YES!!!!!

Well, the lack of colour, actually!
1.gif

4. Do you notice a difference in color when comparing diamonds to a friends, for example

I don''t think I would ever compare my ring to anyone else''s, but I was able to see the difference before, so I''m sure I would be able to see it again

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/5/2006 8:44:35 PM
Author: jewelgal

They never look yellow, but the old setting in certain lighting makes the whole thing look grayish ---

Wonder if that's something about color at all. Here's what I mean ... take a look at Garry's 'Gazebo' clip in the Video gallery.

Btw, I searched in vain for a picture of your current ring on the forum! I did find some older posts making good evidence that you definitely want D color and nothing else
31.gif
Well, I would think almost everyone that did get a D color diamond did so because they trully insisten on it - why else? So the answers to this thread are no surprise
37.gif

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Hey, you like what you like, right? In my opinion, it depends on a trillion things... skin color pale/yellow/brown/rosey, what does your sister-in-law have, did you inherit it, how does it look in front of colleagues under xerox machine lights, does it sparkle like crazy, do you have a future upgrade option, does it make you happy..... Every diamond has a personality, I can''t possibly group them so easily! I wish I could have kept almost every one I''ve upgraded to, regardless of color. I will say this: a bad cut saps the life out of any color.

jewelgal

Shiny_Rock
You guys are funny!
36.gif

Someone posted today about D vs G for $400 more, but the diamond was a bit larger (with the G) and I''m like
go for the D!!!!!
30.gif

tracys126

Shiny_Rock
I too am searching for a radiant. Somehow this shape is looking small to me in person in H and G colors. But 10K for a 1.6 sounds like a great deal. Where did you find it? Online or elsewhere?

GOOOOOOD LUCK!

Thanks!
Tracy

headlight

Ideal_Rock
r
We have been looking at diamonds lately as I am upgrading. I developed this hang up on getting a ''d'' colored diamond.
Yes, I have already done that -- I now have an EGL H, which I assume is an I, but I also have a RHR with a GIA H step-cut and the colors between the two really have no difference.

Was purchased by my then boyfriend for the proposal.
I love my 3.29 ct round -- it is the perfect size for me!
I don''t know if I can say I enjoy anything about the color -- I''d still rather than something a bit more colorless, but I wouldn''t give up the size to do it!
I have not noticed anyone''s diamonds looking better than mine, with the exception of my husband''s step-mom''s ring which is a 5.01 ct GIA D color but honestly in that size and color it screams fake, fake, fake!

You are clearly very color sensitive, and while I don''t think you need to go for a D unless it is all mental or based on principle (which is what my step-mother-in-law was set on), I don''t know if you''ll be happy with a G -- that would definitely be the lowest I''d suggest you go.

35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results