shape
carat
color
clarity

D Color Round Brilliant - Upgrade or Sell

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

greco10

Rough_Rock
Hi Guys,

I am looking to upgrade my d color round brilliant to a D color ideal cut Pricenss or modiefied square - I am having not luck finding the stone I want. Blue Nile (which is where I purchased this Round Brilliant from originally) seems to have the best inventory and they have a couple of Princess cust stones that meet my criteria. However, Blue Nile will does not have an upgrade policy and I do not want to purchase the Princess until I have a fair offer on the Round Brilliant.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I''d rather avoid auction channels such as eBay and would prefer to work with a diamond broker in the New York area but I am not averse to the internet. Please provide me with your estimates on what you think the stone is worth and any internet or local brokers that I can contact to sell the stone.

Round Brilliant
1.53 Carat
D Color
VVS2
7.34 x 7.41 x 4.61
Depth - 62.5
Table - 56
Girldle - Med to SLTHK
CU/FL - both none

Thanks.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Selling and rebuying will not be so beneficial.

I would definitely look for a trade up deal. You can do this online with web vendors or with B&M stores.

I never advise people buy high color clarity stones because they can be like syphilus; hard to get rid of.

If you had a 1.5ct D to H VS2 to nice SI2 there would be plenty of dealers who would want it because they turn quick. so when you trade this time try to think about this idea?

A B&M store would need to be upmarket to want your stone.

Most trade deals need to have same extra money as part of the deal.
If you were wanting a 3ct princess then there should be plenty of deals on offer - but if you only want a 2ct - wellllll.....

Check out the prices here on Pricescope for what you have and what you want - try to be adding at least 1/2 as much in cash.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
this is completely not answering your question but its my immediate response..................why on earth would you want a princess in lieu of your amazing sounding round???????????????/ Personally I really really dislike princess cuts. No major jeweler even touchs them...............Graff, Cartier, Tiffany, Winston....................Round, Emerald, Asscher, and Cushion are the shapes of choice for very high end diamonds. You HAVE a tremendous diamond. The best of the best....well pretty darn good. Share your thoughts?????

greco10

Rough_Rock
My girlfireind prefers square over round.....where under pricescope can I obtain a prices quote for my D Round? Can anyone recommend internet or NY B&M dealers?

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
look above at the top of the page and it says pricescope your diamond...............

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
oh and FYI--Garry Cut Nut alluded to this in his comments already.......... but truly........... going from a 1.5 round to a princess is not giong to be considered an upgrade by any jeweler you approach for a trade in..............princesses are valued much lower per carat than rounds of equivalent quality

greco10

Rough_Rock
Thanks Guys...A NYC Diamond Broker was able to track down the following Princess Cut:

1.56 Carat
D Color
IF
Square Modified Brilliant (Princess)
6.48 x 6.42 x 4.63 (l/w - 1.01)
Depth - 72.2
Table - 72
Thin to Thick
Fl/Cu - None
Pol-VG
Sym-VG
Crown - 8.7%

Based on my calculations, the stone is a notch below Ideal...the broker is looking around for a stone with Deth & Table Percentages closer to or below 70 with EX Polish & Symmetry. How much would you value the above stone at? More or less than my round brilliant from a trade-in perspective?

Assuming he finds a better stone and everything else remains the same with the exception of Polish and Symmetry (upgrade to EX) and Depth & Table is between 69 & 70; how much more should I pay for the stone - +$2k, $4k, $6k...etc.?

greco10

Rough_Rock
Instead of 69 to 70 on Depth and Table...let''s say:
Depth - 63 to 68
Table - 65 to 70

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
run it through pricescope at the top of the page for the price

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/13/2004 6:16
6.gif
5 PM
Author: greco10
Thanks Guys...A NYC Diamond Broker was able to track down the following Princess Cut:

1.56 Carat
D Color
IF
Square Modified Brilliant (Princess)
6.48 x 6.42 x 4.63 (l/w - 1.01)
Depth - 72.2
Table - 72
Thin to Thick
Fl/Cu - None
Pol-VG
Sym-VG
Crown - 8.7%

Based on my calculations, the stone is a notch below Ideal...the broker is looking around for a stone with Deth & Table Percentages closer to or below 70 with EX Polish & Symmetry. How much would you value the above stone at? More or less than my round brilliant from a trade-in perspective?

Assuming he finds a better stone and everything else remains the same with the exception of Polish and Symmetry (upgrade to EX) and Depth & Table is between 69 & 70; how much more should I pay for the stone - +$2k, $4k, $6k...etc.?
looks like the syphillis garry was referring to.............

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes Belle, well cut and D IF rarely go together.

If our friend finds a well cut D IF, and ever wants to go back through this process again he could probably swap his current stone twice and end up with a 1/2ct round.

We tried, but can never win them all :(

rosy

Shiny_Rock
First of all I think you''re insane to give up a D 1.50 round brilliant! I would kill for that stone! A princess is nice but will never sparkle as much as a round brilliant. I also think fancy shapes go through trends, at some point Princess is very popular, at another point Emerald, etc. Why not stick with the all time never go out of style round? If your girl is bored with it why not change the setting?

Aurora Borealis

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/10/2004 2:16:52 PM
Author:greco10
Hi Guys,

I am looking to upgrade my d color round brilliant to a D color ideal cut Pricenss or modiefied square - I am having not luck finding the stone I want. Blue Nile (which is where I purchased this Round Brilliant from originally) seems to have the best inventory and they have a couple of Princess cust stones that meet my criteria. However, Blue Nile will does not have an upgrade policy and I do not want to purchase the Princess until I have a fair offer on the Round Brilliant.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I''d rather avoid auction channels such as eBay and would prefer to work with a diamond broker in the New York area but I am not averse to the internet. Please provide me with your estimates on what you think the stone is worth and any internet or local brokers that I can contact to sell the stone.

Round Brilliant
1.53 Carat
D Color
VVS2
7.34 x 7.41 x 4.61
Depth - 62.5
Table - 56
Girldle - Med to SLTHK
CU/FL - both none

Thanks.
I have nothing to back this up...but I recall reading that there''s no such thing as an ideal cut fancy as the name of the cut is designated for rounds...any experts care to comment on the accuracy of this statement? Perhaps this is why you''re having trouble finding such a diamond.
33.gif

redindian

Rough_Rock
Hi
I assume that you have the GIA cert. etc for the stone. I may be interested in purchasing the stone at somewhere between trade and retail value. Please let me know how much you want for the stone.
regards
Jaz

duriofont

Rough_Rock
Where are you at with the decision on your ring?

greco10

Rough_Rock
Belle/Gary - I am very concerned now...do you not like the stone based on the fact that it is a Princess cut or am I missing something...? I am really interested in a branded square - Flanders, H&A Cushion, Jubillee...but can''t seem to find anything. Any suggestions? If I target a Princess cut, what attributes should I be looking for....?

Thanks.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
it's not the princess cut, it's the grading of D (which is the highest color you can get) and IF (which is the highest clarity grade) that we were referring to. you will pay major $$$ for this, and if you ever decided to get rid of it, you may have a hard time, as these gradings are not in demand because of their high price (that's why garry was referring to syphillis--hard to get rid of. he's a character) there are some great sites to find princess stones. i would suggest looking at something in the FGH color range and VS1,VS2 clarity. as long as you find a well cut stone (you can go here and click on AGA cut grade charts and rules to find guidelines for princess cuts) with a good lightscope image, you will do fine.

some sites with good lightscope images:

www.goodoldgold.com

www.whiteflash.com

www.superbcert.com

best of luck! ........looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results