shape
carat
color
clarity

Cutnut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Dixxin, great article Garry!
36.gif

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for sharing the article with us. Garry, fame at last!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Excellent article, thanks for sharing it with us.

Wink

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
oooohhhh... a three-pager!
36.gif

thanks for sharing dixxin.
2.gif

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for posting this article.

As someone said in another thread he is a Rock God afterall.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's pretty cool!
36.gif

Did the praise make you shy away from this thread, Garry?
2.gif

Got a question - this article and GIA's last 'diamond report' make a nice read together. Skimming through both, a crucial bit - diamond branding - gets contradictory takes:

From 'The Age' citing Garry:

"Factories that cut and polish diamonds have the potential to get a market leadership. In five or 10 years' time, these companies can become household names. Diamond cutting, unlike most manufacturing sectors where people know who has made their product, has no brand names. [we are changing that]"

From GIA 'Industry Analysis' article by Shor:

" [article citing Moshe Leviev] ...rough diamonds over 20 points, especially high-quality goods, will be a dominant factor for the next decade. The market cannot support 130 different diamond brands.

[and citing Rappaport]... strategy will be more important than skill.”

Oh well, I am not trying to make sense of these, just found the comparison intriguing. Sounds like war zone broadcast
5.gif

PS: if anyone wants to go through the whole text at GIA - here's the LINK to it

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Aw, as if his head isn''t big enough!
2.gif

Great article Garry!
36.gif

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
He-he Hest, you know that Garry does not use it for an abstraction only.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
A great read, nice article Garry!!!! Thanks dixxin for giving us the link and the heads up!!!!
1.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
thanks folks (except for Hest who i will nail later
2.gif
)

Re the branding issue Ana:

In the world of luxury products most successful ‘branded identities’ are the designers and the creators of beautiful things. It was their innovative and unique products that built the ‘identity’ that we ‘recognize’ today. Today among occasional diamond consumers only labs and a few retailers have any recognition or recall in consumers minds. In other luxury markets, like watches, women’s hand bags, cosmetics and perfumes, companies began as innovative designers and manufacturers. Later, some companies made the transition to successful retailers.

The branding lesson; no amount of advertising (or strategy) can buy the space in our mind that creative diamond cutting companies can own by producing better looking diamonds.

People familiar with OctoNus® rough diamond planning and allocation scanners know that developments like automatic inclusion location and high precision are changing the industry. However the Cut Group believes its Beauty Grading System will completely revolutionize what is cut from most rough diamonds. This will provide the platform for much needed differentiation that can add value at all levels of the ‘diamond pipeline’

Innovative and creative manufacturers will bring new products to market with lower costs and shorter development cycles. The Beauty Grading System from the Cut Group will provide an independent third party verification of the beauty of these diamonds. Consumers will follow the companies with products (new cuts) that appeal to their specific tastes and preferences. The result: Lower marketing costs and better brand identity with each new successful product release. Just like leading car brands.

These branded manufacturers could then choose to be brick and mortar retailers, Internet businesses, joint venture partners, franchises etc, or simply stick to their knitting and produce several new fashion cuts each year for regular wholesale distribution. The critical success factor in brand building will be originality and better looking diamonds.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/10/2006 7:44:48 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

thanks folks (except for Hest who i will nail later

2.gif
)

But Garry, is that a threat...or a promise?
31.gif

Seriously, though, I agree that the name of the game for consumers really is branding. I know you and I have participated in numerous conversations of the sort over the years, and the truth is for many consumers they'd much rather put their faith in a brand than deal with the complexities behind quality of any sort.

I look forward to seeing your venture grow and wish you and your partners great success.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/10/2006 7:44:48 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

The branding lesson; no amount of advertising (or strategy) can buy the space in our mind that creative diamond cutting companies can own by producing better looking diamonds.
How nice! Haven''t read any lovelier about branding... Otherwise, I am about as much a brand worshiper as most economists - just assume those away. Sure enough, I can think of a few examples of personal talent turned household name. Especially about jewelry.

Thanks for the answer
1.gif

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Many thanks to "The Age" publication for intelligent writing, following Garry into the dark corners, and pulling forward strands we see here and there here, to Dixxin for unearthing the nugget, and for Garry himself, for the framing and insights he brings to this board.

dixxin

Rough_Rock
no prob at all.. everyone at PS helped me tons in my quest for diamonds and it is natural for me to want to share the article about "god" here when i found it
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results