shape
carat
color
clarity

Customizing side stones in Gelin Abaci tension?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Garysax

Shiny_Rock
Hey all, lurking for a while, first post, probably going to get the ring in the next 3-6 months... thanks for all the info. I''ll probably post again when I look for the stone to get the mass opinion around here on that as well.

Anyway, I''ve pretty much settled on one of a few Gelin+Abaci tension styles which I know she likes and I like as well. I know the drawbacks of the tension setting, etc.

Here''s something maybe you guys could help me with. How hard would it be/how much more expensive would it be to slightly modify one of the "stock" settings in their ring line with different stones?

For example, this setting, which I''m fond of (likely w/ .85 or so princess cut, her favorite)

http://www.gelinabaci.com/html/product_detail.php?id=195

What would be absolutely ideal for me is to replace the side set diamonds in this ring with some sort of colored stone instead of the diamonds that "come with" the setting... How doable is this in your estimation? How much extra would it set me back? I''d probably have to do it through whatever jeweler was acting as middleman between G+A and I, I suspect...

Anyway, it''s something that I think would be very nice if it''s doable please let me know what you think and how much you think it''d really run me if I could (i.e. a mint or a modest amount)

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not sure there are ''stock settings'' literally off the rack. These are being made on order and what you are asking for (replacing diamonds with something else of generally the same size and shape) can''t be the end of the world.

Of course some extra comment on the order could also give a good pretext for a premium... How will it work, no idea.

You may have noticed that at least one of the jewelers writing on this forum (''Mspearl'' by avatar name from Pearlman''s Jewelers) carries GA rings. Perhaps they could clarify. It can''t hurt to ask (e-mail).

Just an idea. The idea sounds lovely!
1.gif

Garysax

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for your reply! I''m sure eventually I will just put the question to whoever I want doing my tension ring and get the answer, I was mainly just curious if anybody know of the top of their head.

Take one more shot at this (bump). Does anybody know?

Another question that might be more interesting as well--if it was possible to substitute in side stones that weren''t diamonds, what colored stones does the crowd here think would best complement the ring? Or do you just think it would look atrocious?

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
It''s my understanding with the G&A tension settings that your diamond is shipped to them and they make the setting around your diamond. Your local B&M shouldn''t set the diamond because of the tension. Also, if any work needs to be done like sizing, it needs to go back to the company, because the tension will be lost when it''s cut.

As far as changing the little diamonds to colored stones, I would think that''s possible since your setting is made for your stone. If you decide to do it, I would go with something light like an aquamarine...something subtle. If you do something dark like a sapphire, I think it would be the most obvious thing...not the diamond. This is my opinion of course!
9.gif

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
That''s a really cool setting, and I am normally not that into tensions.
I like sapphire personally. I think they should swap the stone for free b/c a sapphire or aqua or whatever is a LOT cheaper than a diamond. maybe the price difference would cancel out the (slight bit of) extra work they''d have to do. If you went with any gemstone, make sure it is a hard gemstone that will stand the test of time. i think sapphires and rubies are most often paired with diamonds for that reason. I thought I''d seen emeralds used too, but recently read that they are soft stones...
You''ve probably thought of this, but seems like it would be impossible to find a w-band to match this e-ring, and they''d have to be worn on diff hands.
Good luck!

Garysax

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the replies.

Aquamarine was actually a look that I had been thinking of... I was thinking it really has to be either a deeper royal color like a dark sapphire or a very delicate light color (i.e. light aquamarine color) to go with the band--no middle ground. I hadn''t given much thought to the hardness of the stone, it''s something worth considering. I also was of the opinion (secretly) that getting the colored gemstones shouldn''t be much extra because of their lesser value... though I had thought that perhaps G+A was really pumping out bands and coudn''t be bothered to create more unique settings with different stones so it might actually be an expensive process to put in colored stones.

It is a very unusual band. I think she will be very pleased by it, but I really need to see the band in person (am hoping they have it tommorow, or something sort of like it, when I go to see G+A brick and mortar dealers!). The wedding band will be a challenge, I agree.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/26/2005 3:37:53 AM
Author: Garysax

Aquamarine was actually a look that I had been thinking of... I was thinking it really has to be either a deeper royal color like a dark sapphire or a very delicate light color (i.e. light aquamarine color) to go with the band--no middle ground.
You can easily find sapphire with light aqua color. So there''s the brilliance (beryl is rather dull) and hardness and color.

Just a thought.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Take a look at THIS (not the picture, the caption). You never know how new G&A designs are born!

Maybe these guys can help secure your request from Gelin too.

Garysax

Shiny_Rock
Slight update--

I went into a number of jewelry stores that had sample G+A settings to really get a better feel for them this weekend. Wow, am I glad I did, it really shed some new light on the settings.

First off, they are large. It should have bene obvious to me just thinking about it (you can''t have delicate metal pushing a diamond together so hard it stays!), but it was a slight shock to see how hefty and solid these settings are. Now the weight of them doesn''t bother me, actually a prefer a strong dense setting so that was a turn on. But the size of the settings themselves were offputting. It''s certainly no surprise G+A only put their stones in pictures w/o a reference point on their website! One final issue is that the setting I was interested in (linked above) is actually very distinctly two tone, which was a turn off for me--I''d rather it was all polished white gold instead of a polished/grained two tone... but I think that''s something I could easily set straight with the company working with me and G+A for the ring.

That said, I thought that the settings were also very unique and exotic, which is a good thing. Unfortunately, they are so exotic that I think I really am going to have to have my (future) fiance look at them before I make a commitment. I just don''t see how I can go with a setting this unusual without getting an ok on it. I had wanted to the setting itself to be a surprise (she trusts my jewelry tastes implictly and knows I take pride in my taste and finding jewelry that fits her''s), but I don''t see how that''s going to be possible.

Additional things I found out:

I think I''m a color snob--I really could not see myself going any lower than H on the stone, I could see the yellow in an H with my naked eye. Optimally I''d go a lower color than that but I just can''t do it with my budget and the fact that tension settings are so much more expensive than regular settings. W/the tension setting .85 or so is probably the best I can do on size. I''ll have to give it some thought.

As for the colored stones, one of the stores said they remembered having done something similar so that option should still be on the table if I get a ring w/side stones.

Long story short: If you think you want a tension setting, you absolutely, positively, have to see many in person before you get more into the process. Of course you should always see your setting in person/reasonable facsimile before you buy it, but I think this is especially true with tensions.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/28/2005 2:02:37 AM
Author: Garysax

.... the size of the settings themselves were offputting.

Yeah... and there''s an upper limit for how heavy a ring can get. At about 10 grs, there''s no way a ring could be ''forgotten'' - I always feel there is something on the finger. Ok for ocasional stuff, not ok for 24/7.

How about Ti tension rings? they are obviously feather light even if large (low specific gravity) and daintier because the metal is that much harder and flexible than precious metals. If ''exotic'' is not bad, this might just be it. They are relatively inexpensive too and you could have your favorite design made as far as I can tell.

... they are so exotic that I think I really am going to have to have my (future) fiance look at them before I make a commitment.

Great idea!

Best of luck!
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results