shape
carat
color
clarity

Custom setters? Any good ones?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That dont charge an arm and a leg? I purchased a ''lot'' of 50 something cts of mozambique cuprian tourmalines (multicolor lot, windex blue, pink, purple and pale blue), and would like them set into a necklace. Not just a pendent, but a whole necklace (a large V shape of the stones in the center, and then the chain wrapping around the neck..KWIM?).

I know you guys are good at finding deals with custom setting. There are no deals to be had at B&M stores around here. Any recomendations?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe someone on Etsy can do this inexpensively.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Do you have anyone in min don etsy? I have heard on here about etsy setters but I dont know who they are.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
"Deals" are highly dependent on the buyer, since one persons deal may seem outrageous to another. Costs are also very much related to the shapes of the stones and if you want them bezel or prong set. Time is money and if you want the stones bezel set, they pretty much need to be a calibrated size and a standard shape,(less expensive), or hand made to each stone, (more expensive). Bezels are better for necklaces, since they are smoother and less likely to catch. Prong setting is easier, both in setting and in fitting to odd sizes, but the setter has to make sure to get the prongs very tight on a necklace or the entire piece may end up hooking on sweaters and so forth. I''d suggest bezels and maybe even using Argentium silver if you''re interested in low cost. (I''m changing my tune about silver after playing with this stuff...very nice).

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
Re Argentium, Julia did those two rings for my husband any myself and it is an impressive option these days with gold over $1000/ounce.

It is pretty much tarnish proof and pretty hardy. I had the band textured and that came out quite well in the Argentium.

Tropic, since you have many stones to set in this necklace, I wonder if you used prong settings, if it would look like a big bunch of claws going on. Bezel is so clean, features the stones. No ancillary design "noise," as it were.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I was actually thinking silver. What is the difference between argentium and sterling? I have never heard of it.
I like bezels as well. I have seen some *beautiful* multigemstone bezel necklaces.
Something similar to this (but of course with smaller (roughly .75ct each), and more stones) would look absolutely to die for with multicolored cuprians. There are ovals pears and a couple rounds in the lot, some bigger and some smaller.

And I think I would prefer a V shape.

I juse need some names to contact about doing it. I dont know a lot about etsy, and dont know who to look for.

bzelparaibas.jpg

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like your inspiration shot. It does look very labor intensive though -- expensive to set all of those stones. I have never tried ETSY but have heard very good things about Julia K Taylor, One Garnet Girl, and Heart of Waters.

Check out the PS threads on these vendors and see what you think of their work. Maybe some of their customers will respond to this thread.

HTH

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
Argentium is just a custom formulation of fine silver that doesn''t tarnish like regular fine silver.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/26/2010 1:29:11 PM
Author: Tropicgal10
I was actually thinking silver. What is the difference between argentium and sterling? I have never heard of it.

Argentium has a small percentage of germanium in it which nearly eliminates oxidation of the other metals in the alloy and so you get no firescale when working it and very little tarnish over a long period. PLUS it can be precipitation hardened. Big word but what the heck is that ? Well it means that you can heat it up to moderate temperatures, hold it there take it out and let it cool and it''s about as hard as cast platinum. This makes it more durable and strong enough to actually make decent settings that will hold stones over the long term. Really great material in my opinion.

By the way I really like that pendant Tropicgal...looks like stained glass.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
I like bezels as well. I have seen some *beautiful* multigemstone bezel necklaces.
Something similar to this (but of course with smaller (roughly .75ct each), and more stones) would look absolutely to die for with multicolored cuprians. There are ovals pears and a couple rounds in the lot, some bigger and some smaller.

I juse need some names to contact about doing it. I dont know a lot about etsy, and dont know who to look for.
Ooh, I really like that! It''s been quite a while since I saved a picture to my inspiration folder. Very nice.

Of course Julia K Taylor is the queen of Argentium around here these days, but her waiting list must be as long as your arm!

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/26/2010 2:50:23 PM
Author: Gailey

Ooh, I really like that! It''s been quite a while since I saved a picture to my inspiration folder. Very nice.

Of course Julia K Taylor is the queen of Argentium around here these days, but her waiting list must be as long as your arm!
I originally contacted Julia back in late September or early October, then was able to get into her "design window" for late December. She will be making my pendant mid Febuary. I would say she is VERY busy!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/26/2010 3:03:36 PM
Author: Cind11

I originally contacted Julia back in late September or early October, then was able to get into her ''design window'' for late December. She will be making my pendant mid Febuary. I would say she is VERY busy!
Yup, I swapped out my December slot so she could make a key pendant for my girlfriend. I''m dreading asking her when my prehnite and spinel will get their turn again. But quality is worth waiting for.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/26/2010 3:17:35 PM

Date: 1/26/2010 3:03:36 PM
Author: Cind11

I originally contacted Julia back in late September or early October, then was able to get into her ''design window'' for late December. She will be making my pendant mid Febuary. I would say she is VERY busy!
Yup, I swapped out my December slot so she could make a key pendant for my girlfriend. I''m dreading asking her when my prehnite and spinel will get their turn again. But quality is worth waiting for.
I wasn''t going to ask her when she would get to my project, but my curiosity got the better of me lol.

Tropic, that is a neat looking necklace.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I went to a Lia Sophia party for my girlfriend, and saw it in the book (got it off the webpage). I thought, WOW! That would look really awesome with real gemstones in it LOL. Then when I saw the lot of paraibas it seemed PERFECT for that type of necklace. What a statement a huge necklace of paraibas would be!

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
I really like the inspiration. I agree with trying someone on etsy.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results