shape
carat
color
clarity

*CUSTOM-MADE Tiffany''s Lefacy Engagement Ring!!!*

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LaurenAdam

Rough_Rock
Hello! We''ve read a whole series of posts on this Web site about the Tiffany''s Legacy ring from 2004 (see here and here).

Posters commented on its stunning beauty as well as its stunning price. It was debated whether or not the price was worth it and whether or not a remarkable jeweler could in fact nearly flawlessly custom make it by hand.

Because we only saw debates about the custom-made ring and no one actually posted about having done it, we decided to register for this site and share with you our experience so the antique ring can carry on with a modern experience.

First of all, how we fell in love with it: We’re a happy couple living in Chicago who got engaged in February 2006. I began researching diamonds in December 2005 because I didn’t know a single thing about them and I wanted to be ready.

I searched high and low and finally found myself in a Tiffany’s on Michigan Avenue in Chicago. Knowing my fiancé loves an antique look, I instantly fell in love with the Legacy. Serendipitously, she fell for the same exact ring about a month later completely independent of me.

That’s when we knew it was for us.

After our first joint visit to Tiffany’s, it further solidified to us that it was the ring for her. Yes, of course, price knocked me on end. We talked and talked and ended up deciding to custom-make it, but not because of why you’d think.

Yes, we wanted to save money, but honestly that was only part of it. We also wanted some minor customizations to the ring and Tiffany’s was too pompous to allow it. As you know if you know anything about Tiffany’s, they think what they have in their display case is perfect and nothing else needs to be done. Though that may be true in some cases, in reality women are unique and some prefer a ring that was made uniquely for her and only her.

We wanted a radiant cut because we thought it gave the ring more fire. We also wanted to remove one of the small side diamond stones so the matching band we’d make later would fit flush against the engagement ring.

After a lot of research, I found myself calling jeweler’s row in downtown Chicago. We were just floored. After discussions, negotiations, design and waxing, I was presented with a final product that I honestly feel Tiffany’s would be envious of and at a price that would just boggle you.

I could post more specs than you could believe with photos galore to help bring this story to life. Any interest?

~ Adam

__________________________________________________________________________________________

From a more feminine side, I really like that the ring was made for me. I do like the radiant cut diamond we have better than the asher/cushion cut from Tiffany’s even though it is stunning, too.

I feel like the quality diamond we got was better. At Tiffany’s, you have to get the diamond that is already set in the ring. If you want a different color or clarity, you have to have one sent to you in the color and clarity you are wanting. I enjoyed picking out my diamond.

The ring we had made obviously is not EXACTLY like the Tiffany’s Legacy ring. While I think we made it better, the point is you can make it as close to the Tiffany’s ring as you want. I had a huge problem with the wedding band not fitting up flush to the e-ring. Taking that one little side diamond out on one side makes all the difference in the world to me.

I still think the one at Tiffany’s is beautiful. I saw someone on the train the other day with one and smiled. I am pretty sure it was from Tiffany’s but you never know. I do know she had the wedding band on her ring finger and the e-ring on her right-hand ring finger. I wonder if the space between the two bothered her. At least I know I won’t have that problem.

~ Lauren

widget

Ideal_Rock
Author:LaurenAdam

I could post more specs than you could believe with photos galore to help bring this story to life. Any interest?
LOL! You guys are OBVIOUSLY new here! We LIVE for pictures! I''d say about thirty or forty should do the trick....
3.gif

Your ring sounds fabulous....can''t wait to see it, and hear all the specs...

Congratulations!
widget

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/23/2006 7:44:31 PM
Author: widget

Author:LaurenAdam

LOL! You guys are OBVIOUSLY new here! We LIVE for pictures! I''d say about thirty or forty should do the trick....
3.gif

Your ring sounds fabulous....can''t wait to see it, and hear all the specs...

Congratulations!
widget
hehe ya what she said ;-)

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Where are the pics?

susi

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations! Yes, we love pics!!

bling*diva*

Ideal_Rock
~~I''m glad you ended up with a ring that you love!! I would love to see pics of this beautiful ring!!!
30.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
can you say, POST PLEASE?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
um...you posted in Show Me the Ring..hint, hint..
of course we want to see pics...welcome to Pricescope
35.gif

reader

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds very neat

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
sounds great can''t wait for the pictures!

LaurenAdam

Rough_Rock
How exciting! We''ll post pictures and info shortly!

Adam & Lauren

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great! This bunch is all for gorgeous settings like the Legacy custom made at a reasonable price! I can''t wait to see them! (I love the idea of a radiant, too!)

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pics?

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
No way, no pics. I personally hate seeing diamonds.
3.gif

especially ones in a gorgeous legacy-esque setting.
9.gif

BRING ON THE PICS!!!!!Please
17.gif

orangevixen

Shiny_Rock
yes!!! pics PLEASE
9.gif

LaurenAdam

Rough_Rock
On Lauren's ring finger.

la8.jpg

LaurenAdam

Rough_Rock
Another on Lauren''s ring finger.

la3.jpg

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
oooohhhhh (drool)
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

it''s gorgeous!!

LaurenAdam

Rough_Rock
Complete side view.

la5.jpg

LaurenAdam

Rough_Rock
Wow! It was hard to take all those pictures!

According to our GIA certificate, the main stone is a 1.52-carat cut-cornered square-modified brilliant cut (AKA a radiant cut). While we looked at larger main stones (others have discussed 2.0 to 2.5 carats), they looked too big on her more petite hand with this setting. The color grade is F and the clarity is VS1.

The setting is platinum 950 (total weight is 7.1 grams) and has .58 CTW of 45 round diamonds, which makes the ring 2.10 CTW.

The matching wedding band is being made now and we''ll take pictures of them together when it comes back in about a week!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s awesome, looks lovely on Lauren''s hand!!!
30.gif

bling*diva*

Ideal_Rock
~~It''s beautiful!!! I can''t wait to see pics with the matching band!!!
30.gif
30.gif

flutterby

Brilliant_Rock
Its beautiful! i was in chicago when i got engageda nd wanted the legacy initially. the 1ct 32k pricestag scared me off. But Lauren. your ring is prettier than the one i tried on, its simply gorgeous! who made it for you?

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
21.gif
That''s very nice.....

LaurenAdam

Rough_Rock
Date: 9/24/2006 10:33:55 PM
Author: msflutter
Its beautiful! i was in chicago when i got engageda nd wanted the legacy initially. the 1ct 32k pricestag scared me off. But Lauren. your ring is prettier than the one i tried on, its simply gorgeous! who made it for you?
Thanks! We talked to a lot of different people and went with Mike at a company called Diamonds Chicago in downtown Chicago. The main stone, which we selected loose after analyzing quite a few, was about 85% of the total cost. Overall, we got a bigger stone in better quality and customizations we wanted for signigicantly less than we could at Tiffany''s.

We''re now getting the band made by a gentleman named Victor at LMJ, Inc. (312-917-1668). We went back to Mike and we felt he was charging us too much the second time around. Victor, whose store is just down the hall from Mike''s, is also making the band by hand and we just know he knows exactly what to do.

We just saw the wax yesterday, he showed us the 30 tiny diamonds and he even brought me back into his workshop and showed me how his employees do their magic!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
It''s beautiful! Congratulations on your engagement.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results